Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Developer Discussion > Public Game Developers Forum

Old 11-22-2013, 04:46 PM
Developer

Speaking to the original question of are paid reviews worth it... imo not even close! In fact, while having great reviews certainly makes you feel good, I am a firm believer that reviews don't even matter in terms of a game's success.

First of all, I've seen way too many games chart like crazy with a 2-3 star average, that are either horrible clones of big name games, or sometimes even completely broken altogether. Clearly, their ratings and reviews were not enough to sway the majority of buyers, despite 95% of the reviews warning prospective buyers.

Second, we've seen no change in sales with our own games based on their ratings. We have games with 4.5-5 star averages that sell almost nothing per day. Admittedly, we also have games that traditionally have 4.5 star averages, but have had buggy updates result in temporary 2.5-3 star averages. During those periods, there were no change in sales despite barrages of 1-star reviews.

Imo, use reviews for informational purposes only. We love to see positive reviews of course, but we also make sure to look at all negative reviews to see what players are looking for, and what they want changed (as well as a form of bug report). But as far as having an actual impact in sales - imo at least - there isn't one.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:58 PM

I would vote no... not worth it. I had a similar experience. Almost without exception the sites that were asking for an Expedite Fee had fairly poor Alexa scores (web ranking by traffic). So it would seem their web traffic would not support decent advertising revenue and so they are forced

I've had several excellent reviews (unpaid). Unscientifically I saw the minimal impact of an excellent free review from a moderately ranked Alexa site, and I rationalized that any site with a lower Alexa scale would have no positive impact on my downloads. All the paid sites fell into this category.
Old 11-23-2013, 06:59 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Good review sites don't charge for reviews, unless there is a rogue shoddy employee who accepts cash under the table.

You just send a promo code, if the company likes the look of your game, they'll play and review it, if not, they won't, or if they're super busy, etc.

You have to mail a lot of review sites just to get a small amount of reviews!
Don't give up!
Old 11-24-2013, 06:46 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Send a message via Skype™ to abbas_basil
Default Paid App Reviews.. Not really worth it if not done right!!

We recently launched an app and based on the reviews we received in the first week, we were getting higher rankings in the respective countries. So we decided to get some paid reviews via fiverr.com. There are we managed to get 25+25 reviews in the UK and US stores respectively.

But this did not result in any higher ranking in the next week. But rather our ranks started to fall really badly until finally we were out of all stores. To make matters worse the Apple Review Team got in touch with us because they had noticed the sudden increase in reviews.

So what went wrong? We think that the people that gave us the reviews only downloaded the apps once and then used different iTunes ID's and gave a review over and over. We were lucky that Apple didn't cancel our developer account.

https://itunes.apple.com/app/id722772595
Old 11-24-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbas_basil View Post
We recently launched an app and based on the reviews we received in the first week, we were getting higher rankings in the respective countries. So we decided to get some paid reviews via fiverr.com. There are we managed to get 25+25 reviews in the UK and US stores respectively.

But this did not result in any higher ranking in the next week. But rather our ranks started to fall really badly until finally we were out of all stores. To make matters worse the Apple Review Team got in touch with us because they had noticed the sudden increase in reviews.

So what went wrong? We think that the people that gave us the reviews only downloaded the apps once and then used different iTunes ID's and gave a review over and over. We were lucky that Apple didn't cancel our developer account.

https://itunes.apple.com/app/id722772595
Hi a almost posted in your other posting how fake your reviews looked now i know why. Thanks for being so honest its good to know the point at which apple get suspicious of reviews.

So i guess paying for reviews is a no no!