ChAIR's New iOS RPG?

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Jdragoon19, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    #1 Jdragoon19, Apr 25, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
    According to PocketGamer's Rumour Mine: (Yes I know THE rumour mine...)

Source: http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/Various/The+Rumour+Mine/feature.asp?c=29341

If this new iOS game will be a better experience like the Rumour Mine says it will, it'll be amazing! "Better graphics, more content, in-depth character customization, and a story driven campaign with multiple locations!"
    But Pocket Gamer could confirm that it is a deeper game than Infinity Blade and if this new rpg is gonna be better looking than Infinity Blade, I'm all in for it!

2. Attackid

Attackid Active Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Maybe this is the title my friend is working on but he won't tell me much besides what's written there already

3. Jdragoon19

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    ya theyd probly have to be pretty secretive...
    this game could be amazing...

4. Pacificsun0481

Pacificsun0481 Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    #4 Pacificsun0481, Apr 25, 2011
    A Part of me wonders if this will be similar to what was shown for the NGP...

Hmmm...

The way the article is worded, by Pocketgamer, seems to substantiate the existence of the title. Pocketgamer claims to know specifics about the title, even the name (working name) of the title - but is probably under an NDA (non disclosure agreement/embargo).

5. Jdragoon19

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    what they showed for the NGP was similiar to Infinity Blade and in PocketGamers article it says it will not be succedding or be a sequel to infinity blade...

6. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Pocket Gamer's rumours are just reasonable speculation 99% of the time it seems.

7. Jdragoon19

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    haha lol i think we ALL have known what the Rumour Mine does in there with some of the CRAZY things they say... but i think if u read the article they say that can confirm its a deeper rpg than infinity blade...

8. I'm interested to see that they may be doing a full-blown RPG, but the statement that it "goes deeper than Infinity Blade" isn't saying ... um, anything, really. Given that IB was about as deep as a saucer of milk, I'll wait and see what develops from this before getting excited.

9. Jdragoon19

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    lol ya thats true...
    it could be as deep as a game like doodle jump...

10. IceFlameGames

IceFlameGames Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2011
    What ever chAIR's new game is we can't wait. Loved infinity blade,

11. injuwarrior

injuwarrior Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2011
    USA
    Infinity blade certainly was not deep, but it was fun for me and was a big step for the platform. As long as chair continues to move the platform along and sets the standard (in graphics mostly) then we will see better and better. These things happen in steps not jumps.

12. Jdragoon19

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    ya i agree even tho some ppl mightve hated infinity blade for not being tht deep but u HAVE to admit tht it looks amazing and has pretty good use of the touchscreen (swipe to hit)

13. Pacificsun0481

Pacificsun0481 Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    #13 Pacificsun0481, Apr 25, 2011
    Infinity Blade is one of my all time favorite games. Not just apps, but games.

Infinity Blade was a good game on the original iPad, however, playing it on the iPad 2 really made me say wow. A definite leap visually. I'm still mesmerized by the astounding graphical fidelity. It looks like an XBox 360 game. What leaves me even more stunned is that the iPad is basically just a large, thin screen and not much else.

While some write off Infinity Blade as shallow, I find the gameplay mechanics to be hypnotic. There's a lot of depth packed in to the game. You have dodges and shields, swipes and parries. Each attack allows for strategy and a counter move.

You have more challenge in how you maneuver your attack, whether you choose to use a special move, a spell or a sword with elemental damage (based on the enemies resistance)...

I just find it to be engrossing and strategic.

I love how the gameplay mechanics are integrated, while flushing out the obscure story. Its up to your interpretation as to what the God King is, and what Bill's role in the God King origin could be.

Multiplayer arena is also coming soon.

Can't wait to see what Chair cooks up next!

14. Jdragoon19

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    And the Rumour mine says that this rpg will look even BETTER than infinity blade... With a compelling story with different locations... :D

15. Certainly true enough, and IB was its own type of game primarily aimed at casual gamers, but that's why the statement struck me as odd. As a game it gives barely a cursory nod to role playing while remaining almost exclusively a railed action game. An RPG from Chair would be an entirely different genre almost completely removed from IB save for the theme and the few RPG elements it does possess, so their statement is a bit like saying a New York Striploin is tastier than lettuce.

16. injuwarrior

injuwarrior Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2011
    USA
    Haha. Good point. I myself have never found the RPG genre very exciting, so as you can imagine the balance of action to minimal rpg elements is perhaps what appealed to me so much. It really is hard to compare if they decide to take a true RPG approach. At this point we can only hope and speculate. One thing is for sure. Should chair release another ios game, we will all have big expectations, and many will be disappointed since it cannot cater to all genres. Let us hope they don't disappoint in graphics after setting the standard with IB.

17. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    I hope it's off-rails this time. Infinity Blade was good, but it felt frustrating not being able to explore the environment, especially after being teased with Epic Citadel. And IB was way too repetitive for my liking. It'll be interesting to see if chair's next game will still be targeted at the more casual gamers or if they'll make a proper RPG like Aralon (I certainly hope for the latter).

18. Vee

Vee Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2011
    Student
    Somewhere in your imagination
    Omg if they get Oblivion on the iPod Touch... omg omg omg omg omg omg omg

19. Jdragoon19

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    Lol nice sig man "Chairs next big thing" lol

20. I'll agree that Chair has set the bar very high for themselves visually. If whatever they do next doesn't live up to that standard at the very least, and hopefully feature even better visuals on iPad 2 (and presumably iPhone 5, since it's pretty well a no-brainer that it'll sport the A5), they are going to disappoint a lot of people.

That being said, the RPG genre isn't for everyone, and there are those who have tried to appease particular tastes by blending action or puzzle elements in. For me, I love RPGs because, apart from really loving the ability to put myself in the role of a protagonist in an epic story (much as I do when I read books), they also put me entirely in control of as many aspects of the game as they've offered. As such as I can develop and shape that character to suit me. Furthermore RPGs, or at least open, non-linear RPGs, let me advance that story at my own pace and in my own direction. I can explore where I want, take whatever actions I want when I want, and build my character in the ways that I want. I love having that level of control over a game of that kind of depth.

But then I also really love big, epic book series. The bigger, the better. A thousand pages? I'll lug that bastard everywhere 'til I've read every word. So epic RPGs are kind of the the same pocket, they're just interactive. So if Chair does an RPG, I hope it's more in the direction of the Elder Scrolls or Fallout games. (Oblivion and Fallout 3 are, at least at the moment, my all-time favourite games -- the latter edging out Oblivion because Oblivion, while gorgeous, got pretty tedious with all those damn samey oblivion gates. I began to hate those things. I just wish Fallout had vehicles.)