Pocket Creatures FINALLY Submitted!! (iPad, iPod/iPhone)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by MacDaddy, Jun 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    #1 MacDaddy, Jun 5, 2009
    Last edited: May 14, 2010
    That's right! It's all up to Apple now :D

Check out our new game trailer

enjoy! :)

Hi guys, I’m game designer on Pocket Creatures - a new game for the iPhone/iPod Touch. iCreatures is a sandbox type of game where you play/fight/explore with your friend - the creature. I’m still working on the concept, but I would like to have community feedback as early in the process as possible. Please tell me what you think of the interaction and graphics examples below:

[​IMG]
    Creature/Player conflict revolving around a slice of melon, the Woodpecker is the innocent bystander

[​IMG]
    The Creature resolves the conflict its own way - choosing to eat the unfortunate player instead

[​IMG]
    Pushed too far, the Creature has an electrical hissy fit

Please comment! :)

UPDATE 2 (30/11 -09):

Hi there! We are throwing a crazy idea back and forth in the office, and we would like your feedback on it:

Imagine that you as the player, could affect the creature’s relations to game objects. You could make the creature hate bananas, love the woodpecker and fear the coconut.

The creature’s relation towards an object or critter is determined by association with the player’s actions while the creature is interacting with the object or critter. For example if the player slaps the creature while it is eating a melon, the creature will begin to fear melons. See the comic strip below:

[​IMG]
    The creature is eating a melon and all is good in the world

[​IMG]
    But alas, the evil player decides to slap the poor creature while it is enjoying its melon

[​IMG]
    From now on the creature will associate melon with the painful slap and try to avoid melons at all costs

What do you think? Tell us here or on our facebook page: http://bit.ly/quvZd

UPDATE:

Hi girls and guys, the silence is finally broken :) I would like to discuss with you some interaction concepts for iCreatures I'm currently working on:

All interaction in the game works via the iPhone/iPods touch screen interface. Player touch and finger movement is translated to in-game actions. The two basic controls are: Touch/Tap and Drag

The controls are context sensitive, meaning that the same finger movement can be translated into different actions depending on what in-game objects the player interacts with. For example will a back and forth “dragging” motion on the creature be translated into “petting”, but the same motion will be translated into “shaking” when the player has her finger on top of the tree. In the picture below are some examples of different player actions all executed by Touch and Dragging.

[​IMG]

Please post your comments and let me hear your crazy ideas - I'll reply ASAP! :)

--

BETA UPDATE:

Hi guys, thanks for the massive support and Beta sign-ups!

The Beta is now underway and we are receiving a lot of great feedback - Thanks!

Remember you can all follow the progression of Pocket Creatures here:

Game blog: http://tactileent.blogspot.com/
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/TactileEnt
    Facebook: http://bit.ly/quvZd

Hit one of the links and share your thoughts about the game :)

Cheers

MacDaddy

2. theone1007

theone1007 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    USA
    Oh wow,

I laughed when I saw the second picture. Had no clue what this was about until I saw that one. I really like this concept, something we're not seeing much of in the App Store and unique in it's own way. Loving the concept, something I would get for a few laughs :)

3. Prab

Prab Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    The creature looks violent. Pikachu-violent lol

4. chrisrushing

chrisrushing Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    Chattanooga, TN
    man solid looking graphics & textures.
    I'd love to see it actually functional.

5. antonioj

antonioj Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2009
    very very interesting? will it have online play?? i mean, players being able to put their creatures on confrontation ;) should be cool :)

6. MacDaddy

May 4, 2009
    We won’t launch with online play but it is definitely a part of the concept. We hope to make online play available through a later update :)

7. jFND

jFND Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2009
    This looks awesome, just one idea: Please don't name it iCreatures, I'm sure we can all suggest you a better name that will make it stand out and brand it as something else more distinctively.

8. le'deuche123

le'deuche123 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    2nd that. Nothing makes a great game seem utterly lame like an "i" prefix.

9. snoderlye

snoderlye Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Female
    WV
    This is wickedly cool! The grapics are awesome. Poor little woodpecker. This is definately a thread to watch! Thanks for sharing! =)

10. MacDaddy

May 4, 2009
    I hear you :) iCreatures is ONLY a working title. Any suggestions are welcome! :)

11. snoderlye

snoderlye Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Female
    WV
    Are you going to be able to create your own creature?

12. I don't know why, but I'm rather intrigued. Those visuals look quite professional. The expressions and designs appear to be very well done. I think I'm going to have to keep an eye on this one.

13. MacDaddy

May 4, 2009
    Thanks for all the great feedback! :)

Honestly we haven’t decided it yet. It is a feature we would very much like to have in the game, but we don’t know if it will be ready at launch or as a later update :)

14. dogmeat

dogmeat Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Information Security Engineer
    San Francisco, CA
    Just get rid of the i and you have a good name already - Creatures

although, there was the massively popular creatures series back in the 90's you might get sued.

15. TheZimm

TheZimm Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Agreed! =] Looks like an fun game though

Dan

16. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    this does look neat, i like the graphics

it would be cool if we could maybe raise/train a creature and maybe buy different powers or whatever and have it fight with other people's creatures as in pokemon...or maybe when we're fighting, the player actually plays the creature and uses it's special powers and such

17. redsoxsrule424

redsoxsrule424 Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    I really like the look of those screenies, especially the electrocution one. Gonna have to pick this up!

18. I doubt you could get away with using Creatures as a name as Mindscape already did something similar (though far more complex) over a decade ago using that name.

19. dogmeat

dogmeat Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Information Security Engineer
    San Francisco, CA

Thanks for stating what I've already stated :) Maybe you might read the rest of this short thread?

20. Oh, cut me a break. It's Friday, I'm at work counting down the seconds, and I'm working on an epic sleep deficit. And I'm stuck on a level in PB: Inferno, so I'm in no mood for your shenanigans! Or mine!

Coffee. I need some.