App review & release date

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by weilies, Nov 22, 2011.

1. weilies

weilies Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Game Developer
    Planet Earth
    To increase customer confident, i would think having a few app review for my app before it is officially release in app store.

But is this possible to happen? Can the app reviewer download my app before its release in store? If not, any workaround on this?

Thanks for the pointer

2. XperimentalZ

XperimentalZ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    XperimentalZ Games Founder
    Montreal, Canada
    To the best of my knowledge, the only way to provide someone with a 'real' copy of an app before its release is through promo-codes (if the app has been accepted by Apple). Reviews on apps purchased with promo-codes have been disabled a while ago to prevent manipulation of the rankings algorithms.

3. weilies

weilies Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Game Developer
    Planet Earth
    So which mean by giving out promo-code, gamer can download the APPLE APPROVED app even though it's not publish in App Store? (release date is somewhere in future)

Wow, that could resolve my problem :)

4. XperimentalZ

XperimentalZ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    XperimentalZ Games Founder
    Montreal, Canada
    #4 XperimentalZ, Nov 22, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
    Yes they will be able to download it but they won't be able to review it :/ Unless you're not talking about iTunes reviews.

5. Kyena

Kyena Active Member

It's a great idea to offer "pre-release" promo codes to the big review sites. As mentioned: if the app is approved but not released yet you can still generate promo-codes. If you mention that in your review request as: Exclusive early preview, some sites are more inclined to write about your app due to the special status and opportunity to get the first review out :)

That only works for external reviews though. In store reviews for apple only work once the app is officially available.

6. mOOncOw interactive

mOOncOw interactive Active Member

Jun 28, 2011
    software & app developer
    Haarlem, NL
    I suppose you are talking about App Site reviews, not in-iTunes reviews.

Some sites do reviews based on Ad-Hoc released apps, signed and built for their devices. I've never done it, so I can't say anything about whether that increases your chances of getting a review. And I also think Apple is not really approving this kind of use of Ad-Hoc distribution.

7. blitter

blitter Well-Known Member

#7 blitter, Nov 29, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
    There's also the problem of getting actual reviews!

Edit: I'm editing this post because I unintentionally came across as rude. I was simply pointing out that the chances of getting a website review are still slim to none even when it is possible to send pre-release promo codes.

8. blitter

blitter Well-Known Member

Just bumping this post as I've edited the above reply to clear something up.

Fact is the AppStore is flooded with new apps, my advice would be to call your game "AAAA" as the "Next" button seems broken on the store's New Releases!