Does the "Doodle" prefix mean anything to an app any more?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Jetwilson, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Jetwilson

Jetwilson Well-Known Member

Many many games in the app store now carry the word Doodle in their title following the great app store success of a few doodle games, but does this just give devs and easy way out of creating more detailed graphics or has it created its own style?

2. songbird

songbird Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2009
    It depends really on the doodles. If they're really terrible graphics and the name is doodle - who cares - we see those graphics.

3. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    It's probably a bit of both. Honestly, it bores me now. I feel that having "Doodle" in the name takes away from even a very good game.

4. mountainmohawk

mountainmohawk Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Retail
    PA
    Personally, I just skim over most (if not all) of all the apps with "doodle" in their name. It just seems like a quick and dirty way for developers to try and trick consumers into buying their games. And from what I've seen, that's the only way they can get sales because the games are often cheap, rushed ripoffs of better, more successful games.

Sorry for that wall of text, I'm done ranting now.

5. eugekava

eugekava Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Completely agree. There's been an avalanche of doodle games lately. Some are good, but most are crap. I feel that with most of them "doodle" theme was chosen to speed up the production rather than to create something special.
    At the moment I don't even look at "doodle" games because in that genre a good game is an exception, rather than a rule.
    Some of the "doodle games" I think are very good are Doodle Army, Ragdoll Blaster, Ragdoll Cannon and Doodle Fly. Can't think of any others right now.

6. sid187

sid187 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009
    #6 sid187, Aug 9, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
    yeah one good thing doodle dose is allow programmers you know the one guy show..who are not so great in art produce apps.. so in that aspect i think its great. like chads doodle army.. however, i think his doodle is very well done art. unlike some doodles iv seen which are terrible.. and those guys should of paid someone to do some work.. but also i think its a trend like zombies, doodle.. etc etc.

i also think the damn note book paper effect is over used. :D
    chris.

7. scarlettin

scarlettin Member

Aug 9, 2010
    really i see way too much of doodle. wait dannggggg that was dirty but you get what I mean.
    every freaking app is doodle this doodle that and seriously I think the only good doodle
    games are doodle god and doodle jump.
    doodle is way overused now!

8. misfitskater6

misfitskater6 Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    It means I can safely ignore it entirely.

9. Squeaker

Squeaker Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Bookland
    The doodle name definitely is bad for business. I almost looked away and missed Doodle God which would be a real shame since it's a really good game.

10. These days I usually just avoid anything with Doodle, Ninja och Zombie in the title.

In about a month or so it will be different kinds of Bird games that will get the stick ... Super Birds, Happy Birds, Very Angry Birds, Kinda Angry Birds, Birdy Birds.

11. LBG

LBG SeƱor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    I also try to avoid "Doodle" games. It often seems like a lazy, inexpensive way for devs to make money and I never have really understood the attraction to "doodle" games. Same goes for "stickmen" games.