★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
01-08-2014, 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli View Post
Ya'll got Phosphor'd.
I might as well get that tattooed to my head.
01-08-2014, 01:00 PM
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli View Post
Ya'll got Phosphor'd.
Ha!

I do actually keep extra backup copies of their games, since Phosphor do have the habit of completely rebalancing their games into freemium after a while. Not that a customer should need to make backups though. But until Apple steps in, or game devs steps up their game..

Soundcloud:
http://soundcloud.com/chris1a-1
Audiobombs (presets and templates for iOS synths):
https://www.audiobombs.com/users/ChrisG

01-08-2014, 02:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyTheElite View Post
Freemiumized. Will never buy a paramount game again (are they just a publisher?)
Deleted , Reinstalled 2013 infected wars.
At least infected wars never went freemium, or at least let's hope it never will.
01-08-2014, 03:31 PM
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Sweden
Posts: 2,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyTheElite View Post
Freemiumized. Will never buy a paramount game again (are they just a publisher?)
Deleted , Reinstalled 2013 infected wars.
Ye. Phosphor is the actual developer. Don't know which entity to blame. Possibly both

As I posted on the previous page, Phosphor has done this before, nearly (or possibly neatly) ruining their reputation in the TA community (and probably among quite a few hardcore iOS gamers in general). With the backtrack and the subsequent release of Horn, I figured they had decided upon a (thereafter) consistent developer image. Wouldn't surprise me if this move, in spite of whatever backlash from the dedicated parts of the iOS community it might evoke, is still profitable.

Former editor in chief of teknikapan.se (due for an eventual relaunch)
Vocalist of Neverlast
Game Center/OpenFeint/Plus+/[insert arbitrary game network, online character or multiplayer account here]: Ayjona
01-08-2014, 04:22 PM
I can't even remember if I played this and it is lockedz, but see the cloud symbol, so guess will redownload it and try it out again.
01-09-2014, 01:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by awp69 View Post
Just glanced through a PG hands-on and it sounded like it might be decent until I read this:
"We're not sure if World War Z will be a paid game, but the in-app purchase stuff is a little shady. Certain guns are hidden behind a premium paywall, the difficulty spikes will have you wondering if you need to buy more upgrades, and you lose any ammo you used in your last attempt when you die."

$5 for a movie tie-in and a pay wall?!? No thanks.
Well, even for free, it's not great. Wish it were more of a regular game with a vstick. Don't care for the poimt to move controls.
01-09-2014, 11:46 AM
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: NYC, New York. USA
Posts: 2,109
I never did pick this up for some reason. Now that it's free I've been giving it a go and kinda like it. I have to be more then half way into the game and havenot had to worry about running out of ammo or anything.
01-09-2014, 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connector View Post
Well, even for free, it's not great. Wish it were more of a regular game with a vstick. Don't care for the poimt to move controls.
I wasn't either so when I played through this one when it came out I used the dual stick controls. It should still be there in the options but I'm not reinstalling the game to find out.

As others have figured out the game isn't good. I beat it when it was still a pay game way back when the movie first hit theaters. I got the 3 bucks worth of fun I spent on it as I suprisingly really liked the movie but it is a really boring game. Oddly, the boring parts are the one on one fisticuffs and the super boring shooting. The best parts of the game are when you are walking around looking for clues, reading notes, and trying to proceed to the next area by finding simple number codes on the wall.

I'm not sure how the in game economy is now but I remember replaying the first level twice to get a bunch of cash and bought the machine gun. After that you are pretty much golden as that will one or two shot every zombie thing as long as you them in the chest or head.

This game came out at the same time as Phosphor's Man of Steel tie-in which is also an IAP mess of a game that is still premium I beleive. That game got stupidly hard about midway through and pretty much required IAPs to complete unless you wanted to grind for days on the Survival stages. This one does that ramp up of difficulty too but with the machine gun and an upgrade to the mellee weapon (I think it was a crowbar or something) it isn't that hard from my memory. Just generically boring despite looking pretty.
01-09-2014, 04:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapaleeman View Post
I wasn't either so when I played through this one when it came out I used the dual stick controls. It should still be there in the options but I'm not reinstalling the game to find out.

As others have figured out the game isn't good. I beat it when it was still a pay game way back when the movie first hit theaters. I got the 3 bucks worth of fun I spent on it as I suprisingly really liked the movie but it is a really boring game. Oddly, the boring parts are the one on one fisticuffs and the super boring shooting. The best parts of the game are when you are walking around looking for clues, reading notes, and trying to proceed to the next area by finding simple number codes on the wall.

I'm not sure how the in game economy is now but I remember replaying the first level twice to get a bunch of cash and bought the machine gun. After that you are pretty much golden as that will one or two shot every zombie thing as long as you them in the chest or head.

This game came out at the same time as Phosphor's Man of Steel tie-in which is also an IAP mess of a game that is still premium I beleive. That game got stupidly hard about midway through and pretty much required IAPs to complete unless you wanted to grind for days on the Survival stages. This one does that ramp up of difficulty too but with the machine gun and an upgrade to the mellee weapon (I think it was a crowbar or something) it isn't that hard from my memory. Just generically boring despite looking pretty.
It had dual stick controls? Could have sworn I checked the option setting, well, disk space is full today, but I will reload it later to see how the dual sticks are.
01-10-2014, 06:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connector View Post
It had dual stick controls? Could have sworn I checked the option setting, well, disk space is full today, but I will reload it later to see how the dual sticks are.
When I played through it it did or else I wouldn't have. They may have removed it after going freemium but I remember explicitely that it had them. The touch to navigate is super wonky and towards the end of the third level it just didn't work due to the stupid level design around what looked like the great wall of China. I don't remember the level exactly but it looked like that in aesthtics.

If I remember exactly it had a v-stick on the left for movement and you touched the screen to look around/interact on the right side. No stick on that side but it worked ok. I'll check either tonight or tomorrow. I'm nowhere near a wi-fi spot all day and stupid AT&T/Apple won't let me download OTA even though I have unlimited data.