Castle Breakers- a physics driven, action adventure RPG

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by anoon, Jul 28, 2013.

1. anoon

anoon Member

Jun 3, 2010
    Hello TouchArcadians, I am a recently minted independent game developer, and I would like to announce my first project: Castle Breakers.

The forces of evil have besieged the kingdom and set up fortifications across the land. You, the last of the Castle Breakers, have been called upon to rid the land of this scourge. Rise. Go forth. Crush your enemies. See them driven before you.*

*(Inclusion of 8bit lamentation samples, TBD.)

[​IMG]

Inspired by the block breaker games of yore, Castle Breakers is a physics driven, action adventure RPG title, wrapped in a 3D, pixellated fantasy theme.

As the last of the Castle Breaker Knights, you will travel across the overworld map, clearing each fortress of enemies with aid of your sword and magic wrecking ball.

Thanks for your interest! I will update this post with new info as I assemble it.

2. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Art style looks really cool. Any more gameplay details?

3. Alex Wolf

Alex Wolf Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2010
    :0 love the art !!!

4. Robio

Robio Member

Jun 27, 2013
    Please post a gameplay clip so we can have a better understanding of your title.

5. Bankai44

Bankai44 Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2009
    Professional Mother Lover
    With your mom
    Loving the retro overlay look; can't wait to see/hear more about the game.

6. Vincenzo78140

Vincenzo78140 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Bulkypix COO
    Vélizy-Villacoublay
    Hi Anoon,

your coming game seems to be very promising. We are from Bulkypix, iOS Android publisher. We will be happy to discuss any publishing opportunity with you.
    Please contact us : [email protected]

7. anoon

anoon Member

Jun 3, 2010
    Thanks for the interest guys! Development of the game has taken a back seat this week as I have been working on the business end of all this. But as soon as I have more to share, I will return here and post it up!

There's a lot planned for Castle Breakers. The core of the game is implemented and playable, thought not yet ready for public consumption. There's still a good deal of tuning and polish, as well as creating interesting and fun levels to play.

In the meantime, you can keep up to date on Castle Breakers by giving Black Black Beast, LLC a like on Facebook or checking my devblog over at http://www.alannoon.com

Please hang tight! I'll be back ASAP!

Axel, I sent you a reply via email. Thank you for reaching out!

8. PackKing42

PackKing42 Active Member

Aug 2, 2013
    Research Assistant
    Marynardville
    Wow!

I am really looking forward to this! I would love to be on the testing team!

9. anoon

anoon Member

Jun 3, 2010
    Copy and paste from my devblog:

[​IMG]

What a crazy week! After interacting with a load of new followers thanks to last weeks Screenshot Saturday, filing the paperwork to start Black Black Beast, LLC, domain name searches and purchases, launching this devblog, building websites and facebook pages, opening bank accounts for the business, and trying to show attention to the couple of forum postings about the game I have going, there wasn’t any time for actually working on Castle Breakers directly.

I did manage to put together a logo treatment however, which you see above.

I quickly did a low res title in Photoshop with the font tool set to no antialiasing. I generated an outline and saved that as a seperate file so the two elements were in two different images. Those two files were then imported into Qubicle Constructor, where I cleaned up the unneeded voxels and extruded the form to give it some depth. These two voxel models were then exported and brought into 3dsmax, where I optimized and cleaned up the geometry, created materials, lit, and then rendered with Mental Ray. I rendered out the model in one pass, and the glare in another. Then it was back into Photoshop where I applied the black outline to the model, tweaked levels and color, and composited the glare back over the top. TA-DA.

10. Sky Tyrannosaur

Sky Tyrannosaur Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2013
    California
    This looks really cool. I really love how it's a block-breaker from the viewpoint of a third-person shooter.

11. _Max_

_Max_ Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2012
    Wow, like the third-person view, any news form devs?

12. anoon

anoon Member

Jun 3, 2010
    Hey, it's me, the developer again.

For the past few weeks I have been getting my business and and all of the associated non game dev stuff up and running, as well as working on the upcoming Kickstarter Campaign.

I did post a new screen shot last weekend. You can see the magic system in action below:
    [​IMG]

I have a few loose ends to tie up, but I want to submit the Kickstarter in the next week or so. I'll be sure to check back in and let you know when that goes live.

In the meantime, you can catch up with the official devblog here:
    http://alannoon.com/

Thanks!

13. Bankai44

Dec 27, 2009
    With your mom
    Alan - I keep forgetting to tell you this on Twitter; but your KS project will be the first one I will "back" (whatever I can afford that week) and I seriously can't wait for it to go live!

;)

14. anoon

anoon Member

Jun 3, 2010
    Another quick update:

Worked on replacing the work in progress map screen with something a bit closer to the final look.

[​IMG]

Players will scroll around to explore the world, choosing which castles to clear next.

More info here at the devblog!

15. [M&B]Games

[M&B]Games Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2012
    Oh dude. Oh dude. Please. Just. I want.

16. anoon

anoon Member

Jun 3, 2010
    Kickstarter Preview Link!

Hey everyone,

I have been hard at work on the Castle Breakers Kickstarter Campaign. It's all set and ready to launch this coming Monday, 09-23-13 at 10:00 AM Central.

In the meantime, check out the preview link!

The video will be uploaded just in time for launch, so be sure to check it out back on Monday when everything goes live.

Please feel free to leave any feedback you might have. I'd love to hear what you think.

Thanks,
    Alan

17. Bankai44

Dec 27, 2009
    With your mom
    You know I'll be there "in line"...:D

;)

18. Bronxsta

I'm confused. Do any of the tiers get the game or beta access? I can see that being a complaint or possibly detrimental to the campaign. If so, I don't think it's clear.

Also, the rewards associated with the pledge amounts...idk, seem not worth the investment. IMO, at least. I'm as new to Kickstarter as you, just backed my first project last week. But $15 or $20 for a booster pack, digital manual, wallpaper, map, and papercraft set? Of course, my opinion could be totally wrong

Are you planning to release Castle Breakers on PC as well?

19. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    I think it's all pretty clear... For 35$ (or 30$, if you get early bird) you get access to early builds and send feedback/suggestions a.k.a. Beta testing.

I think the rewards are pretty great... And just to remind you, it's not for the rewards you're giving him money, it's for supporting him, so you can get your hands on the game.

He said a PC version (and other platforms) may be coming if he reaches the stretch goals.

I came here to say that you need a video, since projects without videos and developer talking about the game are pretty much doomed before the campaign launches. But I read that you'll add a video on Monday, so that's good.

Good luck with the campaign!

20. Bronxsta

Oh, must have misread. In that case, disregard my opinion. Good luck. I don't have $$ to support it right now, but it's an instabuy for me when it's released. I absolutely love the art style, can't wait to see it in motion