I need to delete some apps!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by DannyTheElite, Jan 1, 2013.

1. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    #1 DannyTheElite, Jan 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
    My 64GB iPod is full!!!
    I'll post 12 apps and you can vote 3 apps to keep from the list.the 3 with the least votes get deleted.(please help I can't decide)
    2xl supercross hd
    3d pixel racing
    4x4 jam
    8 bit rally
    Action driver
    AeroDrift
    Air mail
    SG:air supremacy
    Angry birds
    Angry birds seasons
    Angry birds rio
    Angry birds space

2. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    I say just delete what you don't play and what takes up more space. I don't see rovio doing anything with amazing Alex but who knows.

3. DannyTheElite

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    Amazing Alex is gone.

4. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #4 Vovin, Jan 1, 2013

My tips for freeing up memory:

1. very important: check the "Other" files. Connect your device to iTunes via PC or Mac and look how huge the "Other" section is. This is mostly the cause for loss of space and can take up from a few 100MB up to 7-8 GB!!
    The "Other" files are junk files, like temp data, install packages that accidentally doesn't got deleted and much more stuff. If "Others" is larger than 1.2 GB, get back to me, I tell you what to do. With IExplorer, there are some methods to handle that sh!t.

2. Save your vids or pics to your PC every two weeks and delete them from your device. Can free several hundreds of MB or even a few GB.

3. Apps like "Appshopper", "Tweetbot", Twitter", "Facebook", "Youtube" and much others are data collectors. You can check the original apps size and the amount of data they've collected under
    "General" -> "Usage", then click on "show all apps"
    and tap an app to see the original size and how much "documents and data" they stored. Uninstall apps like Appshopper, Twitter and others and re-install to get rid of the collected junk. DON'T TRY THAT with games, video players, graphic programs and music programs, cause this stuff are your savegames, pictures, vids, music, graphics or other saved stuff!

4. Clear cookies and cache of your browser under the Safari tab. Can free quite some space.

5. Clean up old mails and SMS stuff or back it up to PC and delete. Especially mails with attachments.

6. Make a list in your note app. If you have a game not played for at least 1 month, write the name into it and delete the app - it's unlikely that you'll ever play it again with the huge amount of releases every month. But this way you can keep track and always check which games aren't finished yet.

This methods might save you from having to delete your precious stuff. Hope that helped. :)

PS: If you're really harcore, reset your device to factory settings after a backup and install only the things you REALLY REALLY need or play. It seems hard, I know... humans are hunters and collectors. But it isn't as hard as it seems. Be a man, go through it. :cool:

5. Baracus

Baracus Well-Known Member

Nice helpful post Vovin <claps> (y)

6. DannyTheElite

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    Can't get to a computer to do number 1 will do it later
    Did 2,3 and 4 saved 500mb
    5 saved 20mb

7. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #7 Vovin, Jan 1, 2013

That's a half GB wasted space back.
    But #1 is really the most important. I guess you haven't resetted the device in ages, so there ahould be some potential.

8. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Oh, thanks very much!
    Maybe I should post it in an own thread with a few more tips in the Lounge.

BTW, after doing all these five steps, always switch your device off and leave it off for 5-6 minutes. That should kill the memory-resident stuff and your device can clean up itself a bit after in the following boot process. "Device-DeConfusing", so to speak.

9. DannyTheElite

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    Got 1GB back from deleting freemiums I downloaded for FAS spins .
    Got 1.6 gb back from deleting gangstar , GTA is way better IMO

10. xraydash

xraydash Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2012
    That would be appreciated. I'd like some more explanation for #1.

11. Platyrrhine

Platyrrhine Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2012
    Agreed. I've always wondered about it.

12. injuwarrior

injuwarrior Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2011
    USA
    I've got a couple GBs of other, so I also would really appreciate if you could explain this as well.

As for the OP, I personally keep a pretty streamlined set up for apps. Whenever I finish a game and know I do not want to redownload, I delete it from my laptop as well, and also hide the purchase. I keep only installed apps on my PC (maybe 50), and all the games I i have yet to be played, and casual games I may want to redownload are accessible via the purchased section of the store. So I only have installed apps downloaded, maybe a 100 apps ready to be used in purchased section, and over 1k of hidden purchases of games I didn't like or finished.

13. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #13 Vovin, Jan 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2013

Ok, I'll set up a thread in the Lounge today, explaining everything more detailed.

edit: said and done. http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?threadid=172770

14. injuwarrior

injuwarrior Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2011
    USA
    Thanks for doing this. Its definitely going to be useful as games get bigger and we're stuck with the same storage options.

15. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Good advise from Vovin. I've done those things for a long time and STILL always have to delete apps to make room for my new stuff because I'm so rabid with all this, and with my new iPad now I took all my music, put it on an iPod freeing up another 15GB, and still never have more than 2GB left free these days! That said, other than going to a shrink for a check-up-from-the-neck-up because of my addiction, my ideal remedy for this is for Apple to make a device with at least 128GB out of the box! Not gonna get SD cards obviously, and hate the cloud and 'renting' expensive space. Apps/games are getting so big now, this is what I need! They need to get with it and give customers what they want. More space to keep your stuff (some may call it hoarding, but whatever).

16. Yes, this advice is very good. It helped me out when I had this exact same problem.