WOTA - Wolves of the Atlantic

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by VIC20, Mar 7, 2010.

1. VIC20

VIC20 Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2009
    #1 VIC20, Mar 7, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
    [​IMG]

1/2015

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11/2014
    My current estimation for the release is early 2015

10/2014

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9/2014

[​IMG]

(kind of development tech demo for shaders and illumination:)

WOTA: Wolves of the Atlantic™ will run on ARM7 iOS devices only (iPhone3GS, iPod touch 3 (not the entry model), iPod touch 4, iPhone 4, iPad and later).

Usually more info on the Facebook Page of WOTA.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Original posting 03-07-2010 (older graphics):

You might have noticed that Silent Hunter for iPhone comes out these days.

SH won't be your only possible choice for a submarine simulation in the future.
    After one year of work it's time to present a first preview of "WOTA - Wolves of the Atlantic"™ :)

"WOTA - Wolves of the Atlantic"™ for iPhone and iPod touch.
    (C) 2009-2011 by Mark Hessburg. (Currently in development)

A full scale U-Boat simulation, career orientated game play (1939-1945), the Game World contains the whole Atlantic, North Sea and Mediterranean Sea. You won't be limited to fight your Battles just in tiny static Missions. Dynamic Campaign and Wolfpacks! All important german WWII U-Boats Classes can be used in the Game - including interiors!

The game is currently in development and I am searching a publisher.

Watch a first preview VIDEO here http://www.wolves-of-the-atlantic.com

More WOTA videos on my Channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/MarkHessburg

Some screenshots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Kunning

Kunning Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2009
    The video was hard to understand... will you be able to shoot other ships, etc. or is this just a sim where you can wander around?

3. VIC20

VIC20 Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2009
    #3 VIC20, Mar 7, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
    You will be able to do everything that you can do in a full scale Desktop PC Submarine Simulator like Silent Hunter & Co.
    The video does not show the game play, it just shows how the "flying camera" mode looks like

4. Kunning

Kunning Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Ah, I see. To keep in mind for your next video - try to make it show much more of the gameplay and make it less like a movie. Instead of understanding how the game actually went, I just felt like it was the trailer to a movie.

5. lostlogik

lostlogik Well-Known Member

May 19, 2009
    Agreed. I've not really got any idea what the gameplay is from either the video or the screenshots. But a full on sim would be interesting. Hope its not too far away.

6. randomdude

randomdude Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Is there any specific adaptation for the iPad because this game will work the best on it IMO

7. VIC20

VIC20 Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2009
    #7 VIC20, Mar 7, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
    Yes, I will try to support the iPad as best as possible. But i need to get my hands on one to do that. :)

By the way: my App SunGPS http://itunes.apple.com/app/sungps/id340135272?mt=8
    Uses Code from "WOTA - Wolves of the Atlantic" to calculate the position of the sun based on your GPS position.
    This just shows how serious I take the simulation part of the game even when it comes to the environmental parts.

8. Garbagemaster

Garbagemaster Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Looks good. Count me in!

9. NuclearWinter

NuclearWinter Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Hello VIC, I think it is fantastic to see a project like this on the iPhone. I wish you good good luck with it!

I recommend making a post about it on the forums over at Subsim.com - that's where all the big sub sim fans hang out on the internet and I'm sure there are folks there that would love to know about it.

10. VIC20

VIC20 Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2009
    Just done that at subsim.com - thank you!

I'm embedding some videos of my channel directly into this thread for easier access:

Main Preview - mostly taken from the flying camera, shows also parts of the submarine interior (but untextured)

11. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Looks great!
    We need some more simulation type games, because it's a genre that's lacking on the iPhone.
    I love the fact that the interior is included too, with the crew etc.
    But please work on the textures a bit more, they look a bit bland. I'm guessing that the gameplay shown in the video is from an early build of the game. Looks amazing as it is anyway.
    Keep up the good work! :)

12. max_mad

max_mad Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Just got Silent Hunter and the game got me to a bit, i think i will try this to and maybe soon i will join the navy :). This one seems to be more the simulation type but not that great in the graphics department :(

13. VIC20

VIC20 Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2009
    Can you give me some details? :)

14. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Well here is my view on the graphics:

Sky - perfect

Exterior ship/sub models - good, maybe a little more detail

Sea - needs to be a bit darker during the day

Interior - needs more detail, the general shape of the interior looks good, but rather than have a plain, bland grey colour, how about some more detailed metal textures?

15. VIC20

VIC20 Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2009
    Thanks, the colour of the ocean is hard to set up. I can't count how many hours I've studied pictures under different weather conditions it always looks different. Another problem is that the screen of my iPod and iPhone also looks extremely different - especially when the game shows night scenes.

Some of the ships in the video will get completely new textures. Some models are licensed and they came with low quality textures.

Well, the interior just has no textures at all in the video :D (except some textures on the wall) so I would say you are absolutely right ;)

16. Luckithroe

Luckithroe Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Graphics

I understand that you guys want good graphics but don't you think these graphics are good, or at the very least sufficient. I think I speak for most simulation lovers when I say I would rather see the developer spend more time working on the dynamic theater, friendly and enemy ai, additional units etc.. Before blowing all of his time on graphics which mind you usually require a graphics team and a big financial investment. My kudo's to the developer I think it looks fantastic I sure hope the simulation is deep and engaging.

Instant buy for me, furthermore if I could lend a hand with development I would but unfortunately no objective C under my belt, strictly C++ , and microsoft .NET etc for now however if u think I could lend a hand give me a hollar , as the previous poster stated this platform desperately needs a full scall sim with friendly ai during the theater as you have here . I for one think you have a BIG winner on your hands.

17. ahcl20

ahcl20 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2008
    UK
    +1

If you want good graphics with a shoddy sub sim in terms of realism, you have Silent Hunter!

Much prefer details in the gameplay to fireworks.

18. VIC20

VIC20 Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2009
    The "U-Boat Commanders Handbook" of the Kriegsmarine is something Players of WOTA should read to become most successful :)

19. VIC20

VIC20 Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2009
  20. Garbagemaster

Garbagemaster Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Lol. Not too many Kreigsmarine handbooks in English here in the U.S.A. Vic:)
    I'm rooting for you! I think there's plenty of hunger for a real sub/u-boat sim
    on the app store. I agree with other posters. Flashy eye candy graphics are nice,
    but the game will succeed or fail based on realism and depth (no pun intended).