Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 01-23-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by driscoll14 View Post
What do you mean by Sanukus vid? Is this on YouTube?
Sanuku's Touch Gameplay video. Yes it will be on YouTube if he does one
Old 01-23-2014, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundshaper View Post
Why are Dev still making non universal games? Having to choose iPad or iPhone or buy both is bullshit... It's why I still haven't bought across age 2 yet really sucks to have to buy 2 times the same game if u wann play it on the iPhone on the road and iPad at home !?
I would buy the one for iphone since u can still play it on ipad version can't be played on iphone.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:45 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen)

After playing it for a bit I figured I might as well come back here and leave my impressions. Basically, if you liked the first two games, this one is mostly more of the same; so you'll probably like this one too.

They added a mini game in which you have a hero who autoruns and fights enemies while you upgrade him. I don't really see what it has to do with the rest of the game, but it's mildly entertaining. It looks like they redid the art in the game to be in a higher definition, and they also added new things you can mix to create (obviously), but there looks to be a bit of overlap between content in the games (which was to be expected).

Anyways, I got bored of it pretty quick but that's just simply because this isn't my kind of game. If you had a great time with the first couple of games, this is like a revamped expansion to those, so you'll probably like it.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:50 AM
iPad Air

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xissoric View Post
After playing it for a bit I figured I might as well come back here and leave my impressions. Basically, if you liked the first two games, this one is mostly more of the same; so you'll probably like this one too.

They added a mini game in which you have a hero who autoruns and fights enemies while you upgrade him. I don't really see what it has to do with the rest of the game, but it's mildly entertaining. It looks like they redid the art in the game to be in a higher definition, and they also added new things you can mix to create (obviously), but there looks to be a bit of overlap between content in the games (which was to be expected).

Anyways, I got bored of it pretty quick but that's just simply because this isn't my kind of game. If you had a great time with the first couple of games, this is like a revamped expansion to those, so you'll probably like it.
Thanks. Not getting it
Old 01-24-2014, 05:24 AM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

Finally got round to playing this and sunk a few hours in.

As mentioned, you could definitely simplify a review down to a case of if you like the previous games then you'll probably enjoy this. There's an immediate familiarity, especially considering the early items are generally repeats from the fantasy expansion in Doodle God. Normally I'd have no problem with sequels just being more of the same but in puzzle games that can be seen as laziness when the solutions are the same. Luckily, once you breeze through the opening elements, you'll find a wealth of new content and the unique enjoyment of alchemy kicks in.

While I love the fantasy setting, it can lead to a bit of guesswork; arguably, it always has - pretty sure fire and water doesn't make alcohol. Some combinations will produce items you weren't expecting and other obvious mixes produce no results but in a way, it's part of the fun. It's less of a puzzle game and more of an experiment in imagination, something that can be very hit and miss with some people.
The aural of side of things remains largely pointless, I see no reason to recommend playing it with the sound on but I doubt that comes as a surprise. Music is bland, boring and repetitive, as expected and sounds consist of simple effects and some god awful voice samples that change accent during sentences and provide no useful input. But let's face it, no one buys these games to please their earholes.

The real meat of the gameplay comes with the stand-alone quests, which are largely similar to the previous games with a small touch that's really appreciated. You essentially "control" one of your elements and mixes him with others produces an RPG-lite effect. If it's a location like a forest, your hero will explore it and you'll receive elements that he finds. If you mix him with a character you'll receive either gifts or a short quest such as finding a necklace. It's a small touch but it's more than I expected from what could have been a simple case of copy and paste.

The second addition is the My Hero game mode. This is the polar opposite of quests for me in that it's largely pointless, provides little to no reward and is utterly brainless. Your hero runs along a 2D road, automatically fighting enemies that he encounters. All that's left to you is tapping chests in the background, healing him, allocating stat points and buying equipment. It feels like a cheap iPhone endless runner that has been tacked onto the game for no real reason other than they didn't feel confident enough to release it as a standalone game. That said, it is weirdly compelling - I could see others enjoying it, it's just not the experience I buy puzzle games for.

There is one more detail that may put a lot of people off. There are consumable IAPs. Largely, they are pointless cheats and I'd even go so far as to say that they would ruin the game. The hints can be useful but you are given a few for free and can purchase more with the currency you earn as you make matches. The other three on offer are modifiers that take most of the thought out of the game - such as highlighting elements that have no available matches at that time. Two of these only last for 24 hours so any determined gamer would easily have the game finished in that time, but my question would be why? And why are they consumable?
The currency is pretty easy to obtain in the opening of the game where matches happen pretty quickly and I quickly had enough to buy the most expensive "perk" that removes the animations when you make a match you've made before (largely pointless, but it removed the anti-climactic excitement of making a duplicate). Still, I don't think a serious player will have any use for the IAPs though their existance could be offensive to some on their own.

It's a nice game, more of the same but not for lack of trying.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:25 AM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

Oh good god, I apologise for the above post of biblical proportions!

Last edited by PeteOzzy; 01-24-2014 at 05:29 AM..
Old 01-24-2014, 05:33 AM

I think I'll give it a miss then as the previous games didn't keep my interest really might download them again and see how I feel and wait for this one to drop and maybe try then.

Water and fire don't make alcohol but surely you've heard fire water before?
Old 01-24-2014, 05:38 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Thanks for that review. I was planning to instabuy this as I do enjoy the others, but Im nowhere near finishing them so I will wait on this and put it on my wish list.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:41 AM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by ste86uk View Post
I think I'll give it a miss then as the previous games didn't keep my interest really might download them again and see how I feel and wait for this one to drop and maybe try then.

Water and fire don't make alcohol but surely you've heard fire water before?
Actually no, haha. I must live a sheltered life lol. Always good to learn something new, even if it is embarrassingly public!
Old 01-28-2014, 01:12 AM

Default Game Impressions

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up