Advice Me - New Startup

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by PandaGamersLab, Jun 17, 2017.

1. PandaGamersLab

PandaGamersLab New Member

Jun 17, 2017
    Game Developer
    Bangladesh
    Hello, everyone. I am a mobile game developer and i have several years experience on game development using unity game engine. I am going to start my own gaming business now. So please advice me about

1. How should i start? - i mean first developing for own or sell to publisher.
    2. What type of game should i develop first.
    3. If i copy a game concept from other game then what is the risk factor for coping game concept.
    4. I have several projects that i published for my client. If i publish those game to my new account by changing title then it should be OK?

Thanks in advance.

2. Tosty

Tosty Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2014
    #1. If you create a bad game, why would a publisher want it? If you create a good game, do you really want to sell to a publisher if you believe it's of high quality?

#2: Whatever type of game you desire/have ideas for. If you are new to developing apps, then start smaller and work your way to bigger projects. The reason for this is because after you develop smaller games you will become more efficient with your code and can create more complex things in less time. My first project started out fairly large and I highly regret it, all my projects since have been cleaner and more efficient.

#3: Copying game concepts is normally ok as long as you use your own assets (graphics/title/etc).

#4: Legal (if you change title and assets), but highly unethical.

3. curiousaaron

curiousaaron Member

Feb 27, 2017
    Art Department Head
    Nampa, ID
    What Tosty said ^

A couple things I would add... decide what kind of company you want to be. Do you want to be Pixar (on average releasing original, inspired, timeless work) or do you want to be a B studio (ripping off the original guys for a quick buck).

Sounds like you're leaning toward the latter. But if you do care about quality, find an original idea that fills a void in the market and do it right. An original, quality game doesn't have to be huge or complex. Just original and quality.