Codify, prototyping games on iPad

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by TwoLivesLeft, Sep 26, 2011.

1. J. A. Whye

J. A. Whye Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Game Dev (tools & tutorials)
    Alaska
    As long as someone brought up suggestions... :)

The tap and drag to change a number is kind of neat, but I don't find it all that helpful because I'm usually wanting to set a specific number and stopping *exactly* on that number isn't easy. How about popping up a numeric keypad when you want to change a number, instead? I think that would be just about as quick for playing "what if" with numbers, but be easier (for me, anyway).

As far as importing images goes, there's a tile map editor for the iPad that allows importing of tile map images from the Photo Album, so Apple probably wouldn't have a problem if you implemented that. But it's Apple, so who knows. :)

Jay

2. jguice

jguice New Member

Oct 30, 2011
    Bugs/Suggestions System

Ah, the forums on the official site :)

http://twolivesleft.com/Codify/Talk/

I'll repost mine over there.

I also discovered (by reading other posts there) that some of the odd rendering effects I was seeing weren't just me. I'm just drawing lines/rects in a loop but never clearing the screen and I get a really bizarre epileptic flickering. Clearing it once (with background) at the start as suggested in the other forum didn't fix it for me.

Anyhow, looking forward to the next rev!

3. stevenc89

stevenc89 Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2011
    Hmm, can I use Codify if I dont have any programming knowledge? I was using gamesalad.

4. funambulist

funambulist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    NL
    Hey people, just a heads up about Codify: The application is now called Codea, has had a series of important updates and is on sale for the holidays for 99 cents.

There has been a lot of buzz recently about it amongst developers. I personally find it amazingly fun to use (a cross between Lua and Processing).

Check out the forums at: http://twolivesleft.com/Codea/Talk/discussions.

5. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    As a former software developer for many years and a current iPad gamer, I jumped on Codify when I saw it at the current sale price. I have played with a little bit, scanned the manual, viewed the forums and growing active community, ran a few example programs, and loaded someone's super cool Space Invaders implementation. I am blown away. Everyone who has any interest in programming at all should check it out.

6. Codea 1.3, which is a huge update over 1.2.7 is coming out soon (a full feature list is here). So until then I've got a bunch of promo codes I'd like to share with the other developers here.

They are attached to this post. If you take one please post your impressions and thoughts, also let us know which code you took.

Here's a brief run-down of the upcoming features:

• Powerful Physics API, really well designed and easy-to-use, too (Video, Image)
    • Native text rendering, supporting all iOS fonts (Image 1, Emoji, Emoji in the Editor)
    • Create sounds and audition them from directly within the code editor (Image)
    • Pick fonts right from within your code (Image)
    • Built in video recording of your creations, works really well
    • Built in screen capturing with Twitter support, and special features on Saturdays
    • Mesh API for low-level access to vertex buffers, really fast for rendering lots of geometry (Video)
    • Portrait orientation support in the viewer
    • Native keyboard API
    • Five fantastic new example projects

There are so many more features and improvements. Those are a few of the big ones.

Here's a video of Pacman, coded entirely on an iPad using Codea 1.2.7, using the new video recording feature of 1.3:

Attached Files:

7. TakenXXDeadly

TakenXXDeadly Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Student
    You should have posted that in the price drops, because if I came across the sale I would have bought it. :(

8. lena

lena Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Thank you so much for the promo code! I took the first one 4PR49A6PRRKM.

9. lena

lena Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Wow, this is so much fun! My 8 year old daughter was having a blast changing the graphics in the example games. This is really cool if you have children who are somewhat interested in making games.

Not that it's just a kid's tool of course, it seems an awesome prototyping environment. I am very impressed with the quality. Looking forward to check out what other people made with it.

10. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    Still waiting for a sale before jumping on this.. Before I get accused of being a cheap git, let me state:-

1: Apart from BASIC in the 1980's I have ZERO programming experience
    2: There is a good (read: huge) chance that this is simply above me and It will never be used.. so a waste of money

so yes, that's why I'm waiting patiently for a sale or promo.
    If it never comes, so be it. :/