Universal I Am Level (by Smiling Bag)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Royce, Sep 14, 2013.

1. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    Agree - title music reminded me of rob hubbard. And that's no bad thing at all.

2. tzuptzop

tzuptzop Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2013
    I Am Level and Brave bit should run @game of the week thread

3. Breinstein

Breinstein Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I smiled when I saw the flashing colored bars in the background, reminded of the time when I loaded a c64 game, you always saw those bars when a game was decrompessing after it loaded

4. Chicknstu

Chicknstu Member

Sep 15, 2013
    What a fantastic set of messages to wake up to!

I apologise for the loading times, I know they're an issue and I'll see what I can do whenever I do an update. If I was using a non-free version of unity I might be able to preload scenes, or maybe cover them up with something.

As far as the free-ness goes, I put out a trailer and said the game would be free for one day for every 25 views it got, which by the launch date took us to Oct 1st. I'm a developer of principle, so I must stick to my word!

I'm not a fan of IAP, and I couldn't really think of a decent place to put an advert that wouldn't annoy players. So, my only option really is to make it a paid app when oct comes, probably at the 69p mark.

5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    LOVE the graphics and the Speccy loading noise. Superb

Wish there were alt controls like some other similar games. Eg press the left hand side of the screen to go left, right side to tilt right etc. Would love if it that happened

But the graphics are superb

6. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Blimey how good is this? I'd have happily paid good money for it, jet set willy does pinball who would have thought it....

7. Chq

Chq Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Waiting more than 15 seconds, watching the unity-logo= app deleted.

8. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Heh...your loss buddy.

Also, I'd prefer the loading be left as is. As mentioned somewhere in this thread, it's "authentic".

9. Hex Blade

Hex Blade Well-Known Member

May 11, 2012
    Great little game. Reminds me of my zx spectrum days. To the developer, I really hope there are more of these spectrum homage games in the pipeline ;)

10. slamraman

Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    I really hope that this is sarcastic.

11. Xissoric

Xissoric Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Lol, some people really have no patience at all.

12. slamraman

Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    In my day, that 15 seconds was called 'anticipation'.

13. Hmmm... Good comments worth a look.

14. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    My personal GOTW !

Having superfun the whole rainy day...although...c'mon folks, this is a perfect example why people don't like or prefer tilt controls. For me, seriously, this little gem needs a sensitivity option, ultra-urgent.
    No missunderstanding please, they work absolute precise and well, it's just way too much of rotation needed. Horrible.
    Is that possible Devs, please ?

Also, screen orientation, Gamecenter and maybe a map-zoom would be welcomed. Of course i don't mind faster loading time, but it doesn't bother me in this case. So, i have a short moment to remember what is awaiting me...
    besides fun, a nice mechanic and gameplay with great sound and colors.

I'd gladly pay a few bucks to support you if this is still possible, since i already own the game. Whatever you do this or next time - my money is ready.

Good luck and welcome to Toucharcade !

15. quantumsheep

quantumsheep Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2009
    The Head Cheese, Top Dog, Numero Uno Honcho, Quant
    London
    You are my kind of developer! I can't stand IAP and adverts either. Seems disrespectful to the players imho.

So fantastic to see my beloved Spectrum remembered and honoured with a game like this. Thank you!

QS =D

16. Chicknstu

Chicknstu Member

Sep 15, 2013
    Theres a glass ceiling on the cost of the games content too. Plus you can never really trust that the game hasn't been made impossibly difficult in order to squeeze extra cash out of people.

It can be done well, I'll admit.

S

17. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I know it might not happen but again if you could have alt controls so you can press the left side to tilt left and right to tilt right, similar to how the controls work in 'Puddle'

But love the game, its great seeing those classic Spectrum style graphics and little touches (loading noise etc). Superb stuff

18. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Touch Arcade forums’ Game of the Week poll
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I Am Level was successfully nominated for inclusion in Touch Arcade forums’ Game of the Week poll. Voting will occur over the next three days at the link below. Developers may not vote for their own game or solicit votes from new users. New user votes will be subject to review.

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?p=2971210

19. quantumsheep

quantumsheep Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2009
    The Head Cheese, Top Dog, Numero Uno Honcho, Quant
    London
    I don't want to derail the thread for this lovely game (which I'm very much enjoying btw!)

I've bought plenty of IAP - from 'brands' that I know. The Atari classics collection, the Midway one, the Galaga one from Namco.

These purchases unlocked full games that I knew and wanted.

What I personally find distasteful is, as you suggest, the 'glass ceiling to progress' and that 'trust' thingy!

As a games designer, it's my job to provide fun for people, and I love doing it. It's not to squeeze as much cash out of people using psychology. It's not to bore them into paying. It's not to con people. It's not to annoy them (Because everyone likes adverts, right?). It's not to design game mechanics that will hinder a player unless they pay.

How successful any of us clinging to these old ideals are is debatable though!

Anyway, I digest! I'm just happy that the developer of this game obviously made it out of love. It's a quality title, and it hits all the right nostalgia buttons :)

Best of luck to you, sir! :D

QS :D