Rare OpenAL Crashes?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by AlexN, May 12, 2009.

1. AlexN

AlexN Well-Known Member

Is anyone else getting very rare crashes in OpenAL? As in, either a crash directly inside a call to OpenAL, or a crash in another thread as a result of making an OpenAL call.

I've had just a few of these pop up in the lifetime of my app, and I'm wondering if it's something I'm doing or if this is just the state of OpenAL on the iPhone... My app is otherwise very stable.

I've been building against OS 2.0, so maybe this is fixed in the newer OS? The crashes are too rare (and usually not in the same location) for me to find out through my own testing, so I thought I'd ask around. If you aren't having any issues or related crash reports, what OS are you targeting?

2. slipster216@gmail.com

[email protected] Active Member

Mar 11, 2009
    Game Developer
    Boston, mass
    Yeah, I get these in Splat... from time to time. Splat has an adaptive music system, so it's regularly blending multiple music tracks together and playing lots of sounds, so it makes sense it would hit it. I've not noticed a difference in different OS versions, and even switched between two different sound engines, both getting the same crash.