What's the best way to get to know people here?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Balloon Loons, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Balloon Loons

Balloon Loons Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Do you guys get together anywhere? Do you hang out? Where is everyone from? I'm from new York! can I come?

I ask because it seems like people like the guys that made Mikey shorts and some others who touch arcade proudly promotes when they make a game as " guys from the forum", really know each other. and when I make a post or a reply to something it generally goes unnoticed. Other than a few really nice people who took the time of course and I thank you (you know who you are because there are only like 6 of you lol)

So anyone want to come out for a beer? My treat?

2. schplurg

schplurg Well-Known Member

Hey, if I wasn't so far away I'd let you buy me one ;)

If you wanna get known just keep hanging out. I used to review games here in the forum sometimes before I started developing. A lot of people appreciate good reviewers. I said good.

TA have been kind to me with my games, but I've never actually met anyone here. I'd like to get together with some local talent here in the Bay Area. I could actually use some help on a project.

3. Balloon Loons

Jun 20, 2012
    Hey schplurg! Nice to meet you. Thanks for replying!
    Awww damn shame you're so far! If you're in ny any time hit me up! I have a baby so I don't travel much anymore lol

How did you end up reviewing games for them? Do you mean in the review by users section or on the site itself?

I definitely will hang around but I have to admit it gets lonely when no one replies to anything I write lmao. Hopefully the community warms up to me if I keep bugging them!

So what kind of help do you need on your project?

4. Balloon Loons

Jun 20, 2012
    Oh btw. Daredevil Dave is one sweet looking game. Nice job there! Are you using unity for it?

5. Calvini

Calvini Active Member

Jul 14, 2012
    Developer
    Dare devil Dave reminds me of the Superdave show back in the 90's. The show with the stunt guy :D

6. Balloon Loons

Jun 20, 2012
    Yup totally. Remember that? It was on Saturday mornings right? I remember waking up early on sat just to watch the cartoon lineup. Kids don't have that anymore :(. It was all about ninja turtles and saved by the bell lol

7. nvx

nvx Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2011
    UK
    ^ I remember I used to love watching Thundercats and Captain Planet, nostalgic moment :cool:

Dont worry if nobody replies, keep posting.
    Many of us read almost everything even if we dont always reply

As long as you dont spam or post inappropriate comments, I'm sure people will look forward to meeting you in person someday
    :)

8. Balloon Loons

Jun 20, 2012
    Hi! Thanks for the words of encouragement! Have you seen the new thundercats series? They are awesome! It's the only cartoon comeback that is actually good lol. The new ninja turtles sucks. New bugs bunny sucks. Etc.

9. Calvini

Calvini Active Member

Jul 14, 2012
    Developer
    Hahahaha I only watched Superdave show because it was right before the cartoons. :D Back when the original X-men TV show or when Power Rangers came out. Good times.

10. obscenemedia.com

obscenemedia.com Active Member

Hi Balloon Loons and other members,

I'm new here and I could use an intro and a chance to get to know everyone. Schplurg where in the bay are you? I lived in Redwood City and Fremont for a few years but I'm temporarily in Georgia; 2 years temporary.

Jared Martin
    http://www.facebook.com/obscenemedia

11. DomAjean

DomAjean Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    I live so far :(

I'm in Montreal, Canada.

But yea like mentioned before, just keep posting and I read all the comments I just don't spend enough time to reply to them...busy life is a b*tch sometimes :p

And personnaly, I never got into Thundercats, I will try it very soon when I will have some time...in the 90s-2000 for me it was all about Spiderman! :D

Dom

12. Jorge.

Jorge. Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Game Developer/Designer
    Miraflores, Lima, Perú
    #12 Jorge., Sep 10, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
    I am also new at TouchArcade and trying to do some networking ... but I am a bit of an introvert, so its a bit of a challenge for me :p

I live in Lima, Perú, but for a while I lived in the Bay Area (USA). I go back there once or twice a year to visit my friends.

About cartoons, I did like Thundercats, and Transformers (and I must admit I had a soft spot for the Gobots) but my favorite cartoon was Dungeons & Dragons, I thought that was a very smart cartoon and I loved the magical weapons!

Jorge

13. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    Not far from everyone ;)

Thundercats was the greatest... seriously, between that and GI Joe my childhood was filled with awesome!

14. obscenemedia.com

obscenemedia.com Active Member

Hi Jorge,

Glad to know I'm not the only new guy here trying to do the network thing. Welcome.

I'll chime in and say I too watched Transformers and Thundercats but not Gobots or D&D.

Jared Martin
    http://www.facebook.com/obscenemedia

15. Jorge.

Jorge. Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Game Developer/Designer
    Miraflores, Lima, Perú
    Thanks, Jared.

Yep, I am new too (We have the same amount of posts ... well, with this one, I'll beat your by one ;)

I've heard from everyone that Touch Arcade is the place to be if you want to succeed in promoting your game, so ... here I am.

And since so many people seem to like Thundercats, have you guys seen this video?

Jorge

16. nvx

nvx Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2011
    UK
    Lol that is actually quite cool
    funny, but cool :D

Hey there new guys, dont be afraid to post more!

Posting on forums to network is one thing, but dont underestimate the power of "Signature Advertising":
    many of the regulars that post in the developers section only do it promote their games and websites through their signatures

Personally I would love to meet more developers in person, most of us indies happen to be around the same age group so we have a lot in common already :)

17. Jorge.

Jorge. Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Game Developer/Designer
    Miraflores, Lima, Perú
    Thanks, nvx :)
    (I just noticed your cool signature, I'll copy that! ;) )

18. Synaptic Wave

Synaptic Wave Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2012
    PR manager at Synaptic Wave
    Odessa, Ukraine
    Ukraine? Anyone?

I'd be glad to hang out with you guys, too. I've never seen Thundercats or Superdave, but I've always watched Biker Mice from Mars before going to school so maybe we'd have something to chat about =)

19. Jorge.

Jorge. Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Game Developer/Designer
    Miraflores, Lima, Perú
    Privet,

No Ukraine over here, but one of my best friends is from Latvia and his ex was from Ukraine. Does that count? :p

Paka,

Jorgechka

PS: I am assuming you speak Russian, but you may not :p

20. Synaptic Wave

Synaptic Wave Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2012
    PR manager at Synaptic Wave
    Odessa, Ukraine
    Sure I do! I've even proofread an iTunes description in Russian for somene here over the forums :p