Droppin' Bombs (by Engaging Games) - BOMBTASTIC !

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Acumen, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Acumen

Acumen Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2011
    Kindergarten teacher
    Germany
    #1 Acumen, Jul 5, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
    Update October 5, 2011: - Screens, screens, screens:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Update August 24, 2011: - New game environment in video:

Good morning everyone :)
    I’m 1/2 of the development team from Droppin’ Bombs, our first yet to be released game. We started working on it in February 2011 and we feel that now is a good moment to finally get out of our dark batcaves (I’m Robin btw) and show some actual information and pictures of our little game.

After having posted a thread about the choice of our app icon we felt so great and accepted that we just had to take the next step, even though being sweaty and chicken-hearted as ever :)
    We hope to gather many thoughts and helpful feedback within this thread and try to keep the thread updated with interesting material.

The goal of our game:
    Tap all the bombs that drop down from the sky, before they begin to flash and inevitably explode ! There will be special items and combos to boost and achieve even higher scores.
    It can’t get any more logical than that, in terms of a rich background story, right ?

Here’s some basic contact information you definitely might wanna bookmark :D

http://www.engaginggames.com/
    http://twitter.com/#!/EngagingGames
    [email protected] – the Artguy
    [email protected] - the Codeguy

2. bigbadbrush

bigbadbrush Well-Known Member

Looks simple and clean in terms of art style. I like! :D

3. dafalcon

dafalcon Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    Las Vegas, NV
    Awesome post, and great blog posts. I really love seeing fellow devs share their experiences, especially fellow first time devs! Looking forward to more!

4. BPO_Quickdraw

BPO_Quickdraw Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2011
    http://bulletproofoutlaws.com/
    Diggin the visuals and art style! When you get to the polishing stages, if you're feeling fancy try adding a little bounce to the bombs as they land (like when they touch the ground, they scale back up very slightly and rise up a few pixels then drop back down into place). It'll go nice with the cartoony look you have. :)

Nice work, good luck!

- Jeff

5. Chobie Chobes

Chobie Chobes Member

Mar 1, 2011
    Developer
    UK
    I like the art style, clean and pretty.

The gameplay is looking good too, can't wait to try this out!

6. Doom

Doom Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Working for the man
    Northeastern California
    It's about time you put your game up here ;) looking great! Soon, the world will be Droppin Bombs and I will be one of them:)
    Great job guys!

7. Acumen

Acumen Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2011
    Kindergarten teacher
    Germany
    Thank you so much for your initial round of support you awesome lot :D
    Took us so long to get everything together - especially the guts to create this thread - don't get me started on all the problems ;)

@Jeff:
    You mean, like it is on the menu animation, right ?
    Quite a neat idea, Jeff ! I'll forward that to Blake Blakenson - our Codeguy. Maybe he can do some copy/paste magic from the menu to the actual game there - animations are not our strongest skills ;)

Since we had an awesome day today, even got mentioned on a first "magazine" :D
    http://bit.ly/eSyDkq

I'm thinking about creating a blogpost about a forumpost - makes sense ?

Blake explained to me how I could snap photos of currently running apps, which resulted in me taking like 2,3 quadzillion pictures of Droppin' Bombs - Decided to release at least one of them :D
    It shows how I managed to get a +3BombCombo with 1/2 finger and still capture the screenshot !
    You can also see a cutey cloud on there - can you guess what it does ?

[​IMG]

8. Jimbo_00

Jimbo_00 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2010
    Sounds like a good idea! Let us know when it's ready to check out. :cool:

9. Acumen

Acumen Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2011
    Kindergarten teacher
    Germany
    #9 Acumen, Jul 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
    Actually I squeezed out 2 blogposts about the forumposts ;)
    July 8, 2011 - BlogPost about ForumPost – Part 2
    July 7, 2011 - BlogPost about ForumPost – Part 1

Alright game update time :D
    I received my new camera today that I especially ordered for taking pictures and videos of any game we develop in the future ! So without further ado, I present you a picture of our options menu - what you think ?

[​IMG]

10. Acumen

Acumen Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2011
    Kindergarten teacher
    Germany
    We had some problems with our hosting service. Kinda consistent lately. Sry for that - we're back on track now :)
    I'll be uploading a new higher res video of the gameplay soon. So stay tuned for that !

11. Acumen

Acumen Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2011
    Kindergarten teacher
    Germany
    Hey everyone, I updated the blog once more with an indepth article about our HUD creation process - might interest to a couple of people :)
    Basically I explain how we went through several iterations until we found something that complemented the background and the game items nicely. Transformation from left to right:

[​IMG]

12. Acumen

Acumen Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2011
    Kindergarten teacher
    Germany
    Hey hey, good evening everyone !

Brilliant news, I managed to upload a higher resolution video of the current gameplay we have. Check out all the little details you can find :D
    We would absolutely love to get some feedback on what you can see on the video ! Like it already ?

13. Jimbo_00

Jimbo_00 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2010
    Will the icon be changing?

14. Acumen

Acumen Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2011
    Kindergarten teacher
    Germany
    hey Jimbo_00 !
    What's not to love and embrace about the current icon ?
    Are you campaigning for the black version too ?

Guess we might reconsider another discussion since it won't stop to pop up :D

15. EngagingGames

EngagingGames Active Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Hi everyone,

Blake here. I would like to take a moment to formally introduce myself as the other half of the brain behind Droppin' Bombs. I've been in hiding my face programming away while letting Acumen spread the word about our great little upcoming title. While I haven't been speaking publicly at all, I have been closely following our threads here, and our twitter activity, and would like to thank everyone for the positive feedback you have given us. I think I can speak for the both of us when I say it was a bit nerve wrecking leading up to releasing information as we didn't quite know what to expect and how we would be received, but it has definitely been a positive experience so far, and we look to continue that well into the future. I don't want to get in to too many details yet(I could talk for days and days...just ask Acumen :p, so I'll save all that for a blog post(or two, or three, or four...)), but I would also like to formally introduce the new company that has been formed as part of this game making dream. With that, let me introduce our company logo which is obviously tied in with Droppin' Bombs. We hope you like it as much as we do(although that would probably be extremely hard for you to do :p). Anyways, let us know what you think about it(and of course the game itself if you haven't already done so!):

[​IMG]

Well, before I continue on forever, I'd just like to say thanks to everyone again, and any and all feedback you give us is truly greatly appreciated. I'll get back to my code cave now in hopes of getting to the point where we can release some new information that some people have been waiting on...

16. Acumen

Acumen Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2011
    Kindergarten teacher
    Germany
    Hey everyone, hope you lean towards liking our logo :)

Got some news to spare !

Blake made awesome progress on the game:
    - The gameover screen is almost done
    - Fonts and calculation work
    - Gameover and Time Up Prompt works
    - Statistics and Leaderboards are also functional

Expect a new video showing these off soon :D

My bigboss Blake Johnson has started up our facebook site for the newformed company EngagingGames !
    Since we’re two coolcats we created a personal account for the two of us as well !

EngagingGames @ Facebook
    Blake @ Facebook
    Fabian @ Facebook

Also incase you haven't checked out the newest blogposts, we talked about our HUD creation process and some innocent font tests :)
    First fabulous fonts – made my monday
    HUD creation process

17. Acumen

Acumen Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2011
    Kindergarten teacher
    Germany
    Just to proof we actually progressed as much as was stated, here's a handful of new screenshots for you to have a look at !

1) We finally were able to trigger the gameover/time up messages and have these animated within Unity3d. Thanks to prime31 uitoolkit :)[/B]
    2) The stats window actually works !!! It adds up all these nice statistics about your game statistical statistics !
    I'm actually really bad at our own game :D 4 games and 466 is not really good ;)
    3) You can switch between the two different gamemodes leaderboards and the leaderboards themselve work !

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Also our facebook account still has a lot of love to give and receive :D
    Check us out over @Facebook

18. Acumen

Acumen Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2011
    Kindergarten teacher
    Germany
    Alright, after we were having the most brilliant idea for our game ever (out of all the ideas we have had for our game of course) we decided to use a prerendered background for the game from now on. That will save texture/mesh/memory/whatever space. And it removes the kinda heavy aliasing effect on the fence aaaaand we get to bake in some supercool bloomy lighting, too !
    So, padadada, our new game background !

[​IMG]

19. Acumen

Acumen Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2011
    Kindergarten teacher
    Germany
    Hey hello you good girls and boys. Update time again.

Blake was so excited that he accidentally already implemented the new prerendered background. Can't explain how much better it already feels and looks without all the ugly aliasing lines all around. So distracting. Aaaand we managed to have a first working achievement triggering the animation of an achievement badge. See for yourself:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also we are working very hard on getting this one last cool idea into the game. Could be a win-win-win thing on our end :D

20. Acumen

Acumen Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2011
    Kindergarten teacher
    Germany
    #20 Acumen, Aug 14, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
    Huhu to all of you !
    After a long and troublesome journey we did make some drastic additions to the game.
    Murtaugh is implemented (more on that later *g*) and we decided to make some more environments available to the players.
    Here's the latest environment we implemented !

[​IMG]

We are having a first betatest on friday and after that will finally ask you good guys in here for help on betatesting, since you clearly know on what things to look out for :D