★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
01-19-2013, 12:53 PM
As others have mentioned, it is missing the ripple effect on the water. Odd as I can't imagine the iPad couldn't do something similar.
01-20-2013, 11:03 PM
really? Even the ipad version is missing the ripple effect? I LOVE Riven, I would die to beable to play it on the go, it would be my dream game on IOS. But I only have an itouch 5th and the iphone version is really watered down. Though the Iphone 4S and 5 are more than powerful enough to handle Riven aswell.

It's really too bad there are too many lazy ports. If they ever update the iphone version to near perfect, I would buy it instantly. Until then I have to play it tethered to my computer with my download from gog.
01-21-2013, 03:33 AM
The iPad is way more powerful than the average desktop computer at the time when Riven was released. My guess is that the missing water ripple effect is a budget issue, as someone would probably have to spend time creating masks outlining every image featuring water. The iPad could easily handle the runtime water animation, that's for sure.
10-20-2014, 06:59 PM
Play realmyst first or not worth it?
02-19-2018, 12:15 AM
I know I am incredibly late to this thread, but I will just share my opinion about the game here.

I throughly enjoyed RealMyst. I loved the idea of enhanced graphics and the fluid and smooth free movement involve in a beautiful 3D land. However, after being obsessed with it, I have mixed feelings about Riven For IPad.

Now, I knew, from the reviews, that there was no 3D movement involved and the graphics werent changed. I thought it wouldnt bother me personally as I played a ton of point and click game with no 3D environment. I paid the high premium price of $5.99 and was so excited to fire it up. I was enjoying it at first, but later on after making progress, I really dont know how long I will stick with it.
The graphics are at a terribly low resolution, and the animations are incredibly jerky. I ended up skipping most of them because I was uncomfortable watching clunky low res animations like that.
Other than, the navigation was also confusing. You could swipe photos from left to right, but sometimes I didnt know where exactly I was going.
So these sum up my complaints. I still have it on my 2017 iPad because it keeps calling me back sometimes despite these complaints. I think I will stick with it for a little longer despite these complaints, but I think they will bother me for a while at least.