★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
08-24-2010, 06:32 PM
No impressions? I may have to get this and post some then. It certainly looks stunning - I thought there would be more discussion.

GameCenter ID : oldestgamer
08-24-2010, 06:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluto6 View Post
No impressions? I may have to get this and post some then. It certainly looks stunning - I thought there would be more discussion.
lol... Me too! I've negotiated with someone in the UK to use their account there (the game's not yet available in my local App Store)... Downloading now and will feedback in a short time. But, if this is anything like the PC/Mac version then you're good to go.

08-24-2010, 06:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmanuel View Post
It's the full desktop game. I like it a lot better on the iPad, myself. My wife was testing it ("testing" using air quotes) as I was working on it and now it looks like I'll need to be getting a second iPad

Best regards,
Emmanuel
Have you considered making an iPhone/iPod Touch version?
08-25-2010, 08:46 AM
We are not sure if we do an iPhone version. The layout needs to be changed. If we solve this - we will do an iPhone version as well.
08-25-2010, 09:40 AM
Game Impressions

This is proving to be one of the most original takes on Mahjong like tile matching to come to the AppStore in quite a while! This is a dead-on port of the PC/Mac game of the same name (Runner Up to Best Mahjong Game of 2007) but now with even more intuitive touch controls.

Unlike the standard Mahjong game where the player is making matches of unobstructed tiles in the given layout, Venice Mystery tweaks this formula a bit by giving you a hand of tiles from which you need to find matches out in the layout. Even twistier yet is the fact that, if you can hit the tiles quickly enough, you can match a single tile in hand to SEVERAL tiles out in the layout making some insane combo scores (get a big enough combo in this manner and you might even earn yourself a random power-up in addition to massive points).

The game also features 6 different power-up you can find hidden in the layouts (if you see one out there without anything on top of it, just tap to claim it, no need to match it to anything) that will transform tiles, give you a new hand, or even destroy select tiles out in the layout. You don't have to use the power-ups immediately either as you're allowed to have multiples of each of them and all of your unused ones will carry over to the future levels.

Your objective for each of these Mahjong like levels is to find all of the Secret Keys before your time on the level runs out. The game rewards efficiency as you will receive a bonus at the end of the level based on how much time you have left on the clock as well how many tiles you have left in the layout (the more the better).

Every few Mahjong levels the player is treated to a quick bonus round game. While these bonus games are a well presented cute change of pace that sort of further the game's storyline, I personally would have preferred to skip these story/mystery elements so I could JUST focus on the main Mahjong like game and rack up a huge score!

5/5

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
08-25-2010, 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
This is proving to be one of the most original takes on Mahjong like tile matching to come to the AppStore in quite a while! This is a dead-on port of the PC/Mac game of the same name (Runner Up to Best Mahjong Game of 2007) but now with even more intuitive touch controls.

Unlike the standard Mahjong game where the player is making matches of unobstructed tiles in the given layout, Venice Mystery tweaks this formula a bit by giving you a hand of tiles from which you need to find matches out in the layout. Even twistier yet is the fact that, if you can hit the tiles quickly enough, you can match a single tile in hand to SEVERAL tiles out in the layout making some insane combo scores (get a big enough combo in this manner and you might even earn yourself a random power-up in addition to massive points).

The game also features 6 different power-up you can find hidden in the layouts (if you see one out there without anything on top of it, just tap to claim it, no need to match it to anything) that will transform tiles, give you a new hand, or even destroy select tiles out in the layout. You don't have to use the power-ups immediately either as you're allowed to have multiples of each of them and all of your unused ones will carry over to the future levels.

Your objective for each of these Mahjong like levels is to find all of the Secret Keys before your time on the level runs out. The game rewards efficiency as you will receive a bonus at the end of the level based on how much time you have left on the clock as well how many tiles you have left in the layout (the more the better).

Every few Mahjong levels the player is treated to a quick bonus round game. While these bonus games are a well presented cute change of pace that sort of further the game's storyline, I personally would have preferred to skip these story/mystery elements so I could JUST focus on the main Mahjong like game and rack up a huge score!

5/5

Thanks for the impressions, I was wondering about this game.
08-25-2010, 11:30 AM
@LordGek Thanks for reviewing Venice Mystery
08-25-2010, 03:47 PM
The excellent graphics and Lord Geek's glowing review put me over the edge. Even though I have it for the Mac, I got it for my iPad as well. I really enjoy the game, and so does my wife. It'll be very nice to play it in such a portable format.

It's my wife's birthday today, so I'm getting it for her as a surprise. I think she'll be very happy.

I'm an app-oholic! And there's no 12-step program...
IAPs = I Ain't Purchasing, son !

Last edited by quebecotr; 08-26-2010 at 11:21 AM. Reason: spelling
08-25-2010, 03:49 PM
+1 LordGek. My wife and I have been playing this since launch and really enjoying it.

Now Playing: Vietnam '65 | .Decluster | BP2Black | Monster Hunter Freedom Unite | Banner Saga | Ultimate General Gettysburg | Papers, Please | SmartGo Kifu | Crowntakers | Brogue | FTL
08-26-2010, 02:24 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to klicktock
Venice Mystery and Little Things are actually produced using the same engine I found out recently. I didn't ever play the PC original.

I picked this up and have been really enjoying it. It's harder than I expected, it's almost like a seek and find game in a way. Really polished also.