Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > General Game Discussion and Questions

Old 01-17-2014, 06:21 AM
iPad mini, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by lena View Post
You write you "heard horror stories on the news about kids spending money" and that's what made you took action. But that's exactly the problem: many of those horror stories are from people who never did hear those stories, never knew about the concept of consumable IAP and just assumed that a silly free game was a silly free game. They didn't give their children their creditcard info either, not even their password. They just downloaded a game for their kids themselves, and then Apple didn't ask for a password again when the kid (possibly a 4 year old) just tapped on every nice looking icon it saw and bought a $100 consumable IAP pack.
I've no doubt that is what's happened in many cases, but if the parent checked the game for a few minutes (not necessarily for iap but to check the content) before handing over the device to a child then they would have seen about the iap, or even if they supervised the child for the first few mins, they would have seen the iap pop up themselves as even without having to put the password in you have to confirm to buy.

To much inappropriate content is aimed at kids, not just iap, not even just games, we can't just assume that because its focused in a kids product that the product is suitable for kids. We should be able to hand our children things and assume they will be safe but we can't, especially when handing over an internet connected device.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:40 AM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platyrrhine View Post
I'm fairly certain that the reason for this is that Apple didn't make parents aware that if they type in their password, the password screen will be bypassed for 15 minutes afterwards.
You can alter that setting as well...
Old 01-17-2014, 12:20 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Or you can just log out from the Appstore before you give the device to your kid.
While I agree that Apple could take some measures to make it easier for us parents (e.g. by toggling if username/password are stored at all), I am firmly with cloudpuff: it is MY responsibility as parent, no way around it.

Yes, some things can be regulated, but ultimately it is up to me as parent.
Example: Imagine a supermarket that sells weapons and drugs, but it is prohibited by law to sell them to minors. Yes, the supermarket should obey the law; but let's just say they don't.
I have to take care that my child does not go there and buys a shotgun and crack.
Not school, not government, or whoever else people like to blame these days for their own failures as parents.

@cloudpuff: tons of respect from me! You are a great mom; and already brought up everything I thought about, and very well worded.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:32 PM
In Time-Out
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by New England Gamer View Post
I never said I agreed with 100 dollar IAP. It's just up to the consumer to not purchase them.
I understand. I just like to highlight the IAP part. Once you strip away the lackadaisical parenting and developer independence, what you're left with is what exactly they bought, along with the same issues of IAP that we talk about here every day. I guarantee the lawsuit didn't reach 32 million because kids bought expansion packs or singular, permanent unlocks.