Universal GHOST TRICK: Phantom Detective (by CAPCOM)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Feb 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 0-FeliX-0

0-FeliX-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2011
    I completely agree with you, on all fronts.

Also, I do agree that the wording for the iAP is a bit bad.

2. VonWillebrand

VonWillebrand Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2010
    Europe
    Missile is like the cutest dog ever. I even loved his/her theme music :D

(who the heck names a dog "Missile" anyway?)

3. Capone

Capone Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Well, if this dog is very fast, why not call him "missile"? ;)
    I'm in chapter seven at the moment, and I really love this game. The characters are interesting, the animation is funny, the story is strong and the music is as awesome as in Phoenix Wright.
    Wouldn't it be great if Capcom did a sequel?! :)

4. 0-FeliX-0

0-FeliX-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2011
    Once you reach the end, you'll realize that it would be quite hard to make a sequel, actually. It's still an awesome game, nonetheless.

5. TheProxy

TheProxy Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Chandler, AZ
    This game is on par with Ace Attorney, and deserves more recognition.
    May have done better with the same release model as Phoenix Wright...Priced with intro sale.

BTW Missile is a reference to the dog in Ace Attorney. :p

6. Agas

Agas Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2011
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[size=+2]GHOST TRICK: PHANTOM DETECTIVE[/size]
    is one of the nominees for
    [size=+2]Touch Arcade Game of the Week
    01/02/2012
    [/size]

Do you like this brand new kind of interactive mystery?

[size=+3][thread=121378]VOTE HERE[/thread][/size]

- Devs cannot vote for their own games -​

7. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    #167 sapphire_neo, Feb 7, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
    Oh boy, 4 stars... I'm not sure if I should be surprised -.-

So, let's take a look at few games which are rated better than Ghost Trick by TA,

1112 Episode 3 (requires quite a bit of reading, patience and head-scratching)
    King of Dragon Pass (requires reading, a lot of patience and tactics)
    Sword & Sworcery (requires reading, running around and lasts about half as long as Ghost Trick)

Really, Capcom shouldn't bother with the Phoenix Wright Trilogy HD if this is the response they are going to get from the reviewers.

8. plasmakirby3

plasmakirby3 Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Junior in High School
    Northern California
    You might want to clarify that you mean games that were rated higher than Ghost Trick. Your post can easily be misinterpreted.

9. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    Hah nice catch =/

10. Zoet

Zoet Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Newcastle, Australia
    TA seems to automatically penalize a game if it is a port originally designed for another system, with qualities like creative animation and visuals, good length etc. seeming to be less important to the overall score if the game isn't an iOS original. I sometimes agree with TA's assessment of a game, sometimes not. No review site is perfect, unfortunately.

11. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    I totally would name my dog Missile.

My cat is called Schrödinger.
    My sister called her dog Pavlov.

:D

12. arthur.lysenko

Dec 24, 2011
    Ghost Trick is awesome!
    I am thinking about buying Nintendo DS if it has such cool games :)

Guys, could you tell me how much space full game will use on my iPad? 2-3 Gb?

13. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
  14. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Hmm... I'm not enjoying this as much as I hoped. Everyone's saying how awesome it is, but when I compare it to my 2 favorite story adventure/point and click games, Puzzle Agent and Secret of Chateau De Moreau, I can't notice any part where this would be better than those. Story was boring and unfunny compared to those 2, it's easier, it didn't feel as fun and I mean... I think you guys are overhyping this game. It doesn't feel special. That's just my opinion though, but I was hoping for it to be close to those two games...

15. justln

justln Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2011
    Singapore
    Did you complete the game yet? The story gets better as you play and rams up to an explosive finish. :)

16. VonWillebrand

VonWillebrand Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2010
    Europe
    People have different opinions. Not all of us enjoy the same games.

17. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    I hadn't liked it that much on the DS - I caught it very late in the DS lifecycle, and had pretty much transitioned to iOS gaming when it came out - and I have to say, I am so glad I picked it up on iOS.

I'll probably finish it by the end of the week - it's very much my cup of tea. I'm loving the writing, the art direction - the large screen resolution does wonders to the game, the DS is a disservice to it - and I can't looking for to continue playing it.

If I hadn't finished all Phoenix Wright games so far (asides from the ones that star Edgeworth, which I am _now_ hoping will come to iOS as well), I'd also be excited about their HD remakes.

Sadly, though, I can't really afford to re-spend all that time playing games I have already finished in the past, since it's still a lot of time, though admittedly they were also some of the most fun games I played in the last few years, and some of the few I actually cared enough to finish.

Cheers.

18. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
  19. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

I just finished the game, the ending was amazing! :eek:

20. Capone

Capone Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Well, on the one hand you should note that the reviews you posted were done by other reviewers (Eli & Troy) than the Ghost Trick review. So, as a review is almost always based on the personal opinion of the review author, it's only natural that you can't really compare these reviews. Tastes differ, even the tastes of the TA review authors.
    Moreover, I doubt that Capcom will be disappointed by this review. The Metascore of the iOS version is still rather good, and the Metascore of the DS version matches almost the 8 out of 10 by TA.
    I think it's important to accept that the personal taste of a review author can have an effect on the final score. And by reading the review text a reader should be able to understand and reconstruct the rating.
    I don't really feel the need to read "impersonal" reviews, written from a neutral point of view. I think you can't really judge games in an impersonal way and still deliver a decision guidance to the reader at the same time.
    So I think it's best to simply accept this rating. There are surely a lot of people that would give a higher score (like us), but probably some guys would even rate it lower. Tastes differ, and -like I tried to explain before- it would be rather strange if a review author would feel pressured into rating it 5 out of 5 even though he personally thinks a 4 out of 5 would be a perfect fit.