Which translation/localization website do you use?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by J.O.Y, Jun 13, 2013.

1. J.O.Y

J.O.Y Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2011
    Male
    Head of Product at Imba Games
    Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam
    Hello,

We are doing localization our game to some languages:
    - Chinese (simplified)
    - Japanese
    - Korean
    - German
    - French
    - Spanish

Could you please suggest some good localization website service with affordable price for these language?
    So far I'm trying: https://www.icanlocalize.com/ and http://www.vnlocalize.com/ but honestly I don't know whether their service is good.

Thanks,
    JOY

2. antony.thai

antony.thai Well-Known Member

3. J.O.Y

J.O.Y Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2011
    Male
    Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam
    Thank you Antony. I will try it then.

4. Luke Kellett

Luke Kellett Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Indie iPhone Game Developer
    Melbourne, Australia
    We use Fiverr, a translation + proof reading will usually cost us about $15-20 per language...

And hey, if it doesn't work out you can always try a different translator. Whats $15 compared to hundreds?

5. antony.thai

antony.thai Well-Known Member

Very interesting source, thank you Luke!

6. lynan

lynan Member

Jan 16, 2012
    We can provide free tanslation and consulting service for China marketing. Feel free to contact us at [email protected].

7. J.O.Y

J.O.Y Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2011
    Male
    Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam
    So great! I will contact you in the next time, lynan

8. michaeldouma

michaeldouma Member

Jul 30, 2013
    Educational app dev
    Maryland, USA
    I've had great success with ICanLocalize. It takes a few days for all the translations to arrive, but I found their system easy enough to use, and their translators very credible. I've also used proz.com for larger blocks of text, like articles.

9. markofjohnson

markofjohnson Active Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Game Developer
    San Francisco, CA, USA
  10. Silver Josh

Silver Josh Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    #10 Silver Josh, Aug 26, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
    DYS Translations, of course, since they're specialized in this (the very first company in the world to focus on mobile apps translations). They partnered with important companies and kept their prices very affordable.

I'm also satisfied with My Gengo (now called simply "Gengo"). Ok service.
    Edit: I'm not going to use Gengo anymore. Their service got worse.

After using IcanTLocalize I received a bunch of emails from different users complaining about the Japanese and French translations. I had to spend double to fix the translations and this negatively affected the sales.

We've been discussing about the same topic here in the past: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=1244

11. littlekillerz

littlekillerz Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Thanks for the tips!

12. ittrut

ittrut Active Member

Oct 3, 2014
    Hey, does anyone know of a service where game developers can exchange localisations? For instance I localise something to/from Finnish for somebody in exchange that they translate Chinese.

13. maggiesgames

maggiesgames Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Don't know about that, but I just tried Fiverr.com (everything costs $5) and got my App translated from English to Portuguese within a day. I can't judge the translation itself since I dont speak Portuguese, but the guy who did it was very professional and it all looks very good. And for $5 you don't have much to lose. You could get ten languages for $50.

Thats probably much cheaper than exchanging work, if you factor in the actual work it would take you to translate for someone else.

Having that said, the service you suggest sounds like a good idea. I am sure there are sections of forums and developer groups on FB etc where people exchange different type of work?

14. pated

pated Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Game maker
    Paris
    That's actually a brilliant idea. Now that you've think about it you have to create it! Call it something like translationXchange. And also add an evolving market like a forex market where we can see the price (in words) of all languages to manage the offer/demand. Wait, I'm going too far.

Back to the subject, if you use a translation service, make sure it REALLY uses a human to translate your stuff. Many cheap sites pretend your text will be translated by a human but in most case it will be an automatic/computer translation quickly verified by someone.
    Make sure the site garantees 100% human (or 100% hubot as long as it is not an other type of machine) translation and has good reviews. That will still leave you with a large choice.