Apple TV Welcome to the (Potentially Temporary) Apple TV Games Forum!

Discussion in 'Apple TV Games' started by Eli, Oct 29, 2015.

1. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Hey dudes,

So we're in kind of a weird spot right now when it comes to figuring out what the heck to do with Apple TV stuff. From a tech perspective, since Apple TV purchases can be universal across both the Apple TV and iOS, we need to see how all the iTunes ID's work out to make our existing appinfo tag (Which also ties together most of the behind the scenes stuff at TouchArcade work) function properly. To test and build this out, we need the iTunes API to start populating with Apple TV titles, which hasn't happened yet... So, things might be weirdly broken on our end for a while as we figure all this out.

We also need to see how Apple TV games play out to see where their place will be here at TouchArcade. Right now, it seems like they're iOS games, but not really. It reminds me a lot of when the iPad came out, how iPad games definitely were still iOS games, but it felt like a distinctly different platform. Fast forward a few years later, and it didn't really make sense anymore to have iPad games broken out into their own forum here since nearly everything is universal now.

So, consider this the temporary home for Apple TV stuff on TouchArcade. Depending on how all this shakes out it's possible this forum might get merged with the main one, exist on its own, or just sort of shrivel up and die if no one is interested in Apple TV stuff here. Who knows! Anything could happen!

2. thetrackt

thetrackt Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Thanks for this. I have been wondering where a resource would be for Apple TV games.

Really excited about this platform.

3. Selachii

Selachii Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    I think it's a good call, even if it's temporary. Discoverability on the TV Store is naught.

4. Lawrence Coleman

Lawrence Coleman Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2015
    Apple TV should supported social app ?

5. swoop

swoop Member

Oct 4, 2015
    IT Consultant
    Brussels
    Hello there!

I was waiting for Apple TV 4 to happen. I cannot wait for all those FPS / Stealth single-player games to come. Also, all that racing games that might/will come. Asphalt 8 sucks in essence, but it indicates there's hope.

I hope to move from my iPad mini 4 to aTV4 as my primary game platform and use iPm4 only as complementary device. Given that games will be universal and will support cross-device play.

More of aTV4 games/ articles are needed! Thanks!
    M

6. txwj

txwj New Member

Nov 20, 2015
    I have 2 boys, 5 & 10, and have been waiting for gaming to come to Apple TV. They each have a iPad mini as well as a wii. I have not invested in a game console since I prefer the costs and mobility of iOS games.

I am looking for a resource for Apple TV game reviews and news, I hope this is it.

7. delirium38

delirium38 Member

Dec 18, 2015
    #7 delirium38, Dec 20, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
    If the device would come standard with a normal controller and cross-buy option of games, it could be interesting.
    But if you want to play some amazing games, use Netflix, YouTube, stream movies and don't want to spend too much money, why not get a PS3 (or Xbox 360)?
    Bought one this summer secondhand with GTA V, all 3 Bioshock games and Suikoden 1-2 for 100 euros.
    And getting more games is not expensive either, most gaming shops over here sell a lot of quality games round 5 euros (MGS 4, GTA IV, Final Fantasy XII).
    And unless you use the disc as a coaster for your hot drink there is no worry that the game will break after some update ;).

8. RareSloth

RareSloth Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

#8 RareSloth, Dec 27, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
    I'm excited for the prospects of Apple TV... Thanks for the heads up Eli. One of APple's huge strengths at least throughout history is integration... We have the power to make experiences seamless on any device. Play any game on any medium and have your progress saved. I hope Apple creates more game oriented hardware.

9. musicalmac

musicalmac Active Member

Nov 21, 2014
    Ideally, iPhone/iPad/AppleTV becomes the new universal. But we'll see.

I'd love to see more good ATV coverage on TA. I'm currently relying on SlideToPlay for keeping up with new releases for ATV.

10. Wizards16

Wizards16 New Member

Feb 6, 2016
    Norwood, MA
    Hi Eli,
    I hope you do a lot of coverage about the Apple TV 4 I love it but finding games can be a real drag any new info you can get to help us out would be a big help. Count me in for support!

11. mrpacogp

mrpacogp Active Member

Jul 7, 2016
    Spain
    Whats about playing vertical games on tv?
    I have teste some games and looks fine. Anyone here is playing like invaders games?

12. Dazzlemi

Dazzlemi Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    I just bought the Apple TV 4 a couple of weeks ago. Loving it so far. I haven't played many games, but I expect I will.

I've had an Apple TV 2 for many years, and had always hoped that Apple would put apps on it.

I like that there's a plex app to stream my movies a tv shows.

13. WilliamLondon

WilliamLondon Member

Dec 1, 2013
    #13 WilliamLondon, Sep 14, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
    Great idea this forum!

Just discovered this forum, which I see has been around nearly a year, used to frequent the various discussions (lurker mostly) but haven't been around awhile, what was I thinking?!

I'm actually rather interested in this ATV forum, and hoping we see some good stuff come our way regarding games on the ATV, especially now that tvOS 10 has released (today!) and Apple has removed the restriction to require Siri remote controller support. The device is poised to deliver some great games, sorely (given the excellent catalogue of games on iOS) lacking since its launch last year. So few places on the internet devoting time and spacer to games on the ATV, this is a refreshing discovery.

14. CGPaul

CGPaul New Member

Feb 19, 2017
    Nice one TA!

Seems like this TA forum will last!
    See our connected TV games reviews too at:
    [URL="http://couch-games.com/
    :D

15. mariothebert

mariothebert Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Thank you Eli for this article, even though it is only temporary, but it is really good for me to receive it.