GDC: awkward conference with Angry Birds Rovio CEO

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by arta, Mar 2, 2011.

1. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
  2. Epox

Epox Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    #2 Epox, Mar 2, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
    lmao thats funny. Vesterbacka is wrong Chillingo had a huge part

3. jxw245

jxw245 Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Texas
    What little respect i had for Rovio is now gone.

4. Ouch. I would have loved to have been there.

5. Epox

Epox Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    I would've been ROFLing

6. Xapped

Xapped Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2010
    Would have being even more funny if someone asks where did he get the inspiration from, and he says something like crush the castle, then the asker reveals he's the developer of crush the castle.

7. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    He should have done in it in a dark cloak, then suddenly whip it off, revealing himself to be Rovio's everlasting nemesis.

8. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Meh. Inspiration is different, every game is inspired by something, every game borrows and updates existing ideas. The Box2D thing is humourous because it's actually being used in it's complete form.

9. Vinvy

Vinvy Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2010
    The article at least(I don't have a transcript) really shows the 3 questioners as kind of bitter, and it's too bad they have to even go for that cheap "gotcha" moment in public. Angry Birds was a phenomenal success, they did it on the merit of good game design and direction, the physics engine part is ridiculous as it's totally open source. And I admit I am sure chilling helped getting the name out there, ut after the success of self-published tiny wings, I wonder just how much chillingo actually mattered--and I ammuchore willing to accept rovios version of history now than before. Angry birds is a good enough game and came out at the right time, I am sure it would have been as successful
    Without chillingo.

10. anualisher

anualisher Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
    IT
    Kinda funny

11. McCREE

McCREE Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2010
    lame.

success breeds contempt.

vesterbacka should have started throwing some of his millions into the crowd. that always shuts 'em up for a while.

12. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
  13. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    [​IMG]

I like Chewbacka more than Vesterbacka.

14. yemi

yemi Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2011
    This is ridiculous someone becomes successful and recieves hate for it. Does the guy who created box2D ask everyone who made a game using box2D to give he credit? I dont think so because then he would have to include all the games that are crappy too and his reputation will go to the mud like gamesalad.
    Chillingo name appears in the game , so thats all the credit they need. What do you want from the guy he made the game, not chillingo. While I know most people here including myself are hardcore gamers , give the guy his props. Its stories like his that drive developers here to give us awesome lowest price in the world games.
    I am working with a team myself on making an iphone game. While its not casual game like angry birds it more along the lines of pizza boy and sooziz , thier story inspires us devs. So whether you like the game or not , respect the devs. Some of us are working hard to please you.

15. MrThreeCats

MrThreeCats Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2011
    If that were true then Epic Games would have no credibility left due to all the budget FPS games made using their Unreal Engine.

Hopefully Box2D will get more publicity from this. Even if Rovio doesn't credit him in the game (which they don't have to, but now they might look bad if they don't), I'm sure other developers will be giving him kudos.

16. Cellary

Cellary Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2011
    First fun, then uncomfortable, last angry:D

17. drez

drez Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2010
    I'll never understand the hate and contempt that people have for those that are successful.

18. yemi

yemi Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2011
    Yes but notice he only goes out of his way to target Rovio. Now if he went after every developer and said give me credit then I would respect him. But I dont respect that move since he only targets the most successful game and not all the games made with box2D.

19. Sandrem

Sandrem Active Member

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm a fan of Angry Birds, but not of Rovio.

20. schplurg

schplurg Well-Known Member

Funny, I feel this way about Box2D, not Rovio. What an ass he made of himself. He never required credit...that's his own fault.