Racing games? Which is the best one?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by thethinice, Dec 30, 2010.

1. thethinice

thethinice Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2010
    Hawaii
    So guys, I need a little help. There are a lot of racing games out there, and I want to know which are the best ones. I have narrowed it down to two, Uber Racer 3D - Sandstorm and Real Racing 2. Though I'm feeling that the price is going to make my decision for me.
    I would also like to know any other racers that you would reccomend.

What to you think is the best racer game out in the app store right now?

2. ipod_david

ipod_david Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    Realistic or Arcade?
    I recommend rr2 its freakin awesome. But you can Download gt Racing academY from gameloft for One Buck right now. I recommend that too. I don't Play arcade. Hate it! :)
    Have Fun with These titles

3. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    Defianatly Real Racing 2. I have GT Racing and it is buggy and the graphics are terrible.

4. Jack111

Jack111 Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Holland
    If you want a sim racer i would recommend Real Racer 2
    For an arcade racer Need for Speed Hot Persuit is the best

Never played Uber Racer tho so i cant tell you anything about tat game

5. alchemistrpm

alchemistrpm Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2010
    #5 alchemistrpm, Dec 30, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
    RR2 and Hot Pursuit are both polished gems, best in the app store right now IMO. Raging Thunder 2 is a pretty sweet arcade racer inspired by Burnout and better than Asphalt... though I haven't played A6 yet.

Checking into Uber Racer...

edit/
    I decided to pick it up at the sale price ($1.99 USD). Uber Racer is a game with killer graphics and presentation, and unfortunately broken steering controls. The iTunes reviews saying cars control like boats are not hyperbole :/ Has great potential though! Hopefully a significant update to the controls is on the way (IMO, it's unplayable as is).

6. Simon Potticary

Simon Potticary Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Writer
    East London
    #6 Simon Potticary, Dec 30, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
    I personally have just about every single App Store racer that's worth having and you'll be delighted to know that there is a genuinely diverse range of simply stunning iRacers available right now. But as ipod_david said, it really boils down to whether you prefer Arcade or Sim racers.

Either way, here is my top 5 App Store racers (in order):

1. Real Racing 2
    2. NFS Hot Pursuit
    3. Real Racing (original version)
    4. GT Racing Motor Academy
    5. Asphalt 6 Adrenaline

Real Racing 2 is handsdown, the daddy of all iOS racers by a considerable margin, but it should also be borne in mind that the original Real Racing is still astonishingly good too, and enjoys a subtle twist of arcade DNA, perhaps not present in it's successor. NFS Hot Pursuit is just about the thrill-seekers game of choice at the moment, and as previously mentioned, GT Racing should definitely not be overlooked either. Especially so when it's priced has been slashed entry level money - just 59p/99c.

You'll notice, that your alternative option has been omitted from my top 5. And with good reason too. It's awful. I snapped Uber Racer - Sandstorm up on the day of it's App Store release, and despite a particularly lacklustre first impression, I persevered with it for another hour or so, but it still didn't make the grade for me and was abundantly clear that it's a long, long way from acceptable. Even for diehard racer junkies. Nice graphics for sure, but that old cliché rings true once again; with sub-standard controls, utterly appalling handling and mickey mouse physics, Uber Racer proves the rule that beauty is nothing without substance.

If you must have an off-road rally racer, your money would be much better spent on something like 2XL's ATV Off-Road, which although isn't particularly popular, it's a looker with bags of personality too. Another offering from 2XL meanwhile, TrophyLite Rally is also leaps and bounds better than Uber Racer, but it should be noted that it's exactly cutting edge.

For your information, here's a list of another 5 App Store racers that despite being relatively low-profile and perhaps a tad controversial, they are a permanent fixture on my iDevice and I personally rate them very highly indeed:

1. Raging Thunder 2
    2. Rally Master Pro
    3. Fumes Stunt Racer
    4. Horror Racing
    5. Crash Bandicoot Nitro Kart 2

Whichever you opt for, there is without question, a whole lot of fun waiting to be had from any of the ten I've listed here.

Have fun!

7. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Real Racing is good of course others I would recommend well theres only a few

Ridge Racer Accelerated - Updates have improved this a lot in my opinion it's probably not for everyone but if you like ridge racer it's well worth it.

GT Racing - Maybe a bit defunct now with Real Racing 2 but it does have more cars a decent career and lets you upload replays direct to youtube

A few others worth considering

Rally Master Pro - Not bad nothing amazing very well polished though

Fumes - Quite good if you have ever played stunt car racer

My opinion those are the best in the store.

8. gfxdaddy

gfxdaddy Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Male
    Illustrator | Web | Graphic | Digital Publishing D
    London, UK
    Honestly I prefer NFS: Shift over any other racers in the appstore, Real Racing 2 a close second. NFS: Shift is a good mix of sim and arcade gameplay, and the graphics are still some of the best around (I prefer racing in actual cities to racing on a track too). In my opinion there are only two considerations (in order):

1. Need for Speed: Shift
    2. Real Racing 2

Asphalt 6 was a disappointment. For some offbeat multiplayer fun, Reckless Racing isn't bad either.

9. TiltMyTouch

TiltMyTouch Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Real Racing 2.

But whatever you choose, do not get Need for Speed: Shift. Technically, Shift isn't even a racing game.

10. vbxz47

vbxz47 Well-Known Member

May 28, 2009
    Ohio
    Real racing 2

11. Andylasian

Andylasian Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2010
    High School
    California
    Follow this.

12. thethinice

thethinice Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2010
    Hawaii
    Thanks guys, guess I'm gonna go with real racing 2, hope it's worth the money :)

13. swishinj

swishinj Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2009
    CEO at Apple Inc.
    Real Racing is you best bet for a sim.
    NFS Hot Pursuit is your best bet for arcade. And trust me, NFS Hot Pursuit is about as far away as you can get from a sim.

14. K?!

K?! Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    alea iacta est
    Real racing 2
    Indeed, the second best racing game is real racing 1.

15. iMario

iMario Well-Known Member

Real Racing 2 - simply the best racing game

16. Rylin

Rylin Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    GT Motor Academy has a slight edge when it comes to physics, allowing people who enjoy the art of 'drifting' to tune the car specifically for it. When your able to tune your car to be able to do something not intended for the main game and handles reasonably well in terms of its real-life counterpart, you definitely have to give credit in that regard.

Real Racing 2 definitely has the polish and graphics to make it one of, if not the current best racer on the iOS platform but I think the physics could use a bit more work honestly.

The original real racing game had butter smooth framerates but its physics definitely leaned far to the arcade side when you play its sequel or GT Racing. A reason why people prefer the "handling" of the first real racing because it had a sense of speed but also had a very arcade-like physics system in place.