Why you should not buy a 3GS if you own a 3G

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by zurie, Jun 18, 2009.

1. zurie

zurie Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2009
    I have a friend who works for apple - in infinate loop. A real employee, not a store employee. he told me to wait for a year before buying a new iphone. He said that if i buy a 3GS I have to renew my contract for 2 more years. in 1 year apples contract with AT&T is up and there could be a 4G model coming out. It would sure suck to have to break a 2 year contract 1 year from now to get a 4G. If you are on the fence, its just something to think about. I trust what he says... Plus sprint, verizon are already building a huge 4G network.. It would make sense for apple to go to the company with the best network. There may be a chance that apple doesn't renew with AT&T and anyone with a 2 year contract will be kicking themselves with their 3GS. Just something to think about.

2. dcodd87

dcodd87 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2008
    I thought they extended the contract until 2012?

3. zurie

zurie Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2009
    I belive its 2009 or 2010. They are extending it yearly. but if you can find the 2012 then i'll believe it.. i just know regardless of ATT or not, 4G is coming...

4. theone1007

theone1007 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    USA
    If AT&T wants to keep up, they're working on a 4G. There is absolutely no way that AT&T will just sit there while their competition works on 4G. There may be a new iPhone next year, but I doubt that Apple will cancel their contract with AT&T. Maybe they'll offer a CDMA version of the iPhone to Sprint and Verizon, but no way that Apple will abandon millions of 3GS customers.

5. JavierDavalos

JavierDavalos Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2009
    Are they even using the 3G network fully?, last i checked it downloaded at 1.5mbps (In Atlanta).

6. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Isn't it obvious at this point that Apple is releasing a new iPhone every year? That's hardly insider information.

7. ahcl20

ahcl20 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2008
    UK
    1) If you have no money

2) If you are happy with the performance of the iPhone 3G. To be honest we are talking app loading times of SECONDS here.

I'm going to get the iPhone 3GS because I am too much of a fan/geek for Apple stuff. I'll be shelling out £540 for a pay-as-you-go iPhone 3GS.

8. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    Depends on the network. It seems like the network throttles the speed to accommodate more users at the same time. Not really a surprise but considering the massive amounts of users in big cities it does get annoying.

I live on the outskirts of orlando and see high speeds but when i'm downtown it isn't near as fast.

9. Prab

Prab Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    Apple sells the iPhone all over the world. So I dont think it makes sense to sell 4G because the network operators need to support the faster speed. And if the networks dont support it, people wont bother buying the new phone. Im thinking the new phones will actually have better processors and better battery life (dual-core ARM A9?). It will be awhile before we see an upgrade from 3.5G

10. blakespot

blakespot Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    So your friend suggests that the iPhone 3GS is not the last iPhone that Apple will release? ...

blakespot

11. dmbfan1192

dmbfan1192 Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2009
    I think that zurie is trying to say that the 4G is going to be a much bigger step up from the 3GS and it's probably worth waiting a year because the 3GS is not as big of a step up from the 3G. 4G is a big deal; better graphics for games that probably won't exist until the 4G is out is not that big of a deal. There is really not much that the 3GS adds (especially if you're jailbroken).

12. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::rolleyes: