What is Humble Bundle?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Infinity89, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Infinity89

Infinity89 Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2013
    I never heard of this one before but I saw a few posts on Facebook about it.If somebody could explain how it works I would really appreciate it!
    Thanks!

2. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    #2 metalcasket, Jun 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
    http://www.humblebundle.com/

Basically every so often a bunch of indie developers (well, that's how it started anyways) will get together with the Humble Bundle folks and offer their games collectively (one payment), DRM-free, for a "pay as much as you want" price-tag...whether it's a cent, a couple of bucks, a hundred or even thousands of dollars. Whatever you want to give them. There's also a "pay more than the average" offer that'll buy you even more games (as well as their Steam keys and soundtracks most of the time). The majority of the time it's for PC releases, but now they're doing Android stuff too. It's pretty awesome and is ridiculously generous for what you're getting every single time. Sign up for their mailing service because there are offers regularly.

3. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    This is the Humble Bundle.

Every so often they put up a collection of games up for purchase. People can decide what they value the offered bundle at and pay whatever they choose. That's the hook of the system - people pay according to their means and perceived value.

Edit: Hah, mc. Nice word choice. :p

4. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Ninja'd! :p

5. Infinity89

Apr 8, 2013
    So I can buy a whole bundle of games at whatever price I want?
    Also is it only for Android and Pc or there are iOS games too?

6. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Yep.

Nah, it's not for iOS.

7. I'd be all over an iOS version of this

8. Infinity89

Apr 8, 2013
    #8 Infinity89, Jun 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
    That's too bad I was ready to jump into the pole for iOs games.
    Thanks guys!

9. It's simply not possible given the limited number of promo codes that Apple gives to publishers unless Humble somehow works out a deal with Apple. By contrast, Steam is willing to give out as many keys as a publisher wants.

10. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    A few months ago I got a steal on a tripwire bundle. I ended up spending (so far) 70+ hours in one of them (killing floor), and haven't even downloaded the other two games yet. It's a great way to experience new genres and developers without taking much of a plunge with the wallet.

There's a line, albeit sometimes shady, between being wise with your money and being stingy. It gets irritating when I see you jump on people nearly every time they express a desire to spend their money wisely. It's presumptuous of you to jump to conclusions about others' financial situations and ultimately how much an iOS app is worth to them. Yeah there are some stingy people around, but there're also others who have legitimate reasons for the way they choose to spend their money.

11. Infinity89

Apr 8, 2013
    #11 Infinity89, Jun 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
    I left playing pc games a year ago.So it's not for me.Also I don't own an Android device.When I will be free after some exams I am thinking of buying a PS.Shpuld I wait for PS4 or get a PS3?
    Also never own a PS so how do you upload games on it?Like App Store !(go and buy a game on a website)Or from a shop?

12. Deewin

Deewin Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Humble Bumble is a great idea and they give 95 percent of the profits to the developers, vs 70 for Steam/GOG. I still prefer the latter because they both keep an archive of the games on their servers so you can download them anytime you want through their clients. I have mixed intentions about donating to charity (which is optional) though, some are really good, and well others donate barely any of the money towards the actual intended causes and the money gets spent on other not so great things to put it nicely...

13. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    As much as I respect developers for feeding my hobby, I don't give them any money at all when I spend on Humble Bundles. Developers get my support all year round anyway, so with HB I send it all to charity.

It's very easy to look up the charities the Humble Bundle supports. They're both incredibly well respected. The EFF are one of the main parties helping us fight against stupid internet/copyright restrictions like SOPA and if you don't trust handing money directly to Child's Play, you can actually just go to their Amazon wishlist and buy toys for children directly.