Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Developer Discussion > Public Game Developers Forum

Old 09-11-2013, 09:14 AM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

A galaxy tab 2 should be supported, its not a slow device.. However there's an android 4.1 or 4.2 update out, that boosts perfomance on unity3d apps tremendously. I suggest you update your tablet first. (some countries haven't gotten the update yet, so install samsung kies and install via that)

Looking at your game visuals, there's nothing in it that shouldn't run super smooth on a android device. (or a iphone 3gs even).. Its a matter of optimization, Texture resolutions, texture compression (If you us pvrtc for IOS, that will cause issues on android, etc etc, .. Check out the mobile optimizations threads on the unity3d forums..

I you want your game to succeed on the appstore, support for ipad2 also requires you to make it workable for Iphone 4(which is a butload slower) So creating a good hardware setup with all these devices is a must. (or have lots of friends with outdated IOS devices)..

Cheers and good luck
Old 09-11-2013, 06:23 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

I tried to update the OS and have been unable to even with samsung kies

It works on iPhone 4 fine on my tests too. I don't have a 3 to check on anymore.

It is the full screen image effect which creates the outlines, I take that off and it runs fine on the galaxy tab. I couldn't find a mobile version of it.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:57 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4NJ6...ature=youtu.be

third iteration of the level
Old 09-15-2013, 11:41 AM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

It looking better at every iteration, personally I didn't care for the soft glowing ring around the pickup.. It sort of breaks the hard edgy style..

The samsung kies thing is a bitch, true.. You can do it yourself with odin (just google android 4.1+odin+samsung tab2

But keep up the good work . cheers
Old 09-15-2013, 05:43 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppetpuppet View Post
It looking better at every iteration, personally I didn't care for the soft glowing ring around the pickup.. It sort of breaks the hard edgy style..

The samsung kies thing is a bitch, true.. You can do it yourself with odin (just google android 4.1+odin+samsung tab2

But keep up the good work . cheers
I wanted it to be super clear that is what you needed to pick up. Maybe I should look for a different way.

I can see why you say that, but I don't have a better idea!

I will be glad when I can say thats enough time to make levels. I now have 30 sketched out in my notepad. I feel once I get this right it will be easy to make levels quickly.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:38 AM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Default Liking it

I think this is a pretty cool style. You are totally working within your limitations, without going pixel art which can work well but is also starting to get boring. (Not to mention it's not necessarily any easier!)

The style changed a lot between the second and third iteration. Definitely improving! I could also see both styles co-existing in one game. You know sometimes how different levels have different themes? Normal levels and then boss levels for example? Anyway, I think it's working pretty well. I had a bit of a jarring moment when I didn't realize it was a top down view at first, but I'm not sure if that is relevant to the art style.

I agree the shine around the cube seemed a bit out of style visually. I think it achieves your interaction goals (makes it clear that it's the goal) but doesn't necessarily match the style terribly well. Your choice; that's why they call this art. ;-] Maybe you could use something flatter but reserve a specific color that always indicates "goal" or "go here" - something like orange or red? Could be anything really. This isn't as great for colorblind people, so a specific icon might help like an arrow or star. Or maybe you could find a different particle effect that would match the overall style better. Think you need something more solid / blocky. What about a circle that changes colors or grows and shrinks in size? There's lots of ideas out there. Good luck!
Old 09-16-2013, 01:20 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Thanks for the comments. I will do a fourth iteration tonight after work taking the particle effect out and trying some different things.

Good pixel art is really a skill. It takes a lot of time. I want something I can focus on making lots of levels once I have it setup.

It was a big change from 2 to 3. I had been avoiding adding a bit of colour, but now I have done it has a big impact and allows you to clearly see what you are avoiding. In the next update I will also show off the ground saw/spinning star!
Old 09-21-2013, 04:36 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i38gR...ature=youtu.be

New video for feedback!
Old 09-22-2013, 07:45 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=545Ul...ature=youtu.be

so i added shadows!