Underplayed games & hidden gems

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Darth Ronfar, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Darth Ronfar

Darth Ronfar Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    #1 Darth Ronfar, Mar 9, 2012
    Last edited: May 29, 2013
    Please feel free to list some of your own "hidden gems" and let's get em out there so they start becoming less hidden. Post whatever games you feel fit the above description whether it's a list or has descriptions etc..(descriptions more helpful) * note please refrain from posting links that are seperate from the name and description as it takes up space etc..

This list is made up of comments from numerous people including myself.. If you want credit for it ill be happy to leave what you post in quotes(this hasn't been necessary as the original posts can be found in the thread and this list created for easy viewing to the members and public etc...)

*Devs are also welcome to post here...to share game info etc...
    Finally, putting your games in bold also helps(I'm in the process of doing it for the rest)

The "List"

Xenome, this fallout like game was fun and felt ridiculously massive, and at 99 cents you can't beet it.

Chocorun - For using a unique one-touch control system, probably the best Super Meat Boy-like, IMO

Bug Heroes - I always thought this never got the popularity it deserves.

Meganoid - Another one of my favorite platformers

Pet Shop Girl - a match-3 game combined with time management elements that is seriously not loved enough

Pig Flick - a casual arcade game where you control three pigs running down three different lanes, collecting coins and avoiding obstacles. Each level is very short and so it encourages you to replay it multiple times to get the perfect score.

Super Bit Dash - A semi endless runner where you swipe in different directions to navigate the level and get past obstacles. The controls are tricky at first but once you get used to it it's really fun.

Ranch Rush - A really fantastic time management game where you build a farm while filling orders. Way better than most of the time management games on the appstore.

ASYNC Corp - A match three game where you are swapping pieces between two sides of the screen. Has a lot of unlockable stuff and quirky style.

Crazy Hedgy-best 3D platformer out there and by far one of the best games on the app store. Just hasn't gotten a ton of recognition

Slam Dunk King-this one's free(mium, though iAPs are way more optional), but it's a heck of a lot of fun.

Tank Battalion Blitz-this one's published by a big name (Namco!) but it never has been spotted anywhere on the charts or in these forums or in reviews (bar one) that I've seen. Probly the best tank game available from what I've seen.

Curvebot-not sure how to describe it best, but it's a lot of fun.

Gameloft Sports Pack-It's by Gameloft, but never has really took off the ground that I've seen. Or it just hasn't when I've been on iOS. Either way, it has 3 quality sports games and is a load of fun.

Sir Benfro's Brilliant Balloon is a gorgeous touch to fly game with hand drawn levels.

Vikings slice - it's a copy of ice slice by nitrome but even better controls in my opinion. Though cloning is wrong, it's very fun. You slice pieces of ice to knock Vikings into the ship using puzzle strategy
    There's a Free lite version

Joining hands - not super hidden, but it didn't get anywhere near the amount of recognition that it should have!
    You have to make all the characters join hands, set on a hexagon board, different characters have different personalities.. Emos need to be a space away from everyone else, some have 1,2,3,4, or 5 hands, some hands rotate others are fixed, ghosts must also be away from the others. Very fun game..played it through twice

Puddle puzzles- total hidden gem..found it by mistake and I love it
    Puzzler with water physics - only game I've seen with that mechanic.you got to get puddles into the warp hole whilst he is floating in water..you have to rotate your device to move the water around, and activate switches and stuff to get puddles to the warp hole.There's a Free lite version

Juice belts - really fun puzzler..very unique..it's a shame it got no updates
    It's a physics puzzler involving juice..you have to get the fruit into the blenders to make juice , you add elements ( like with feed me oil and caseys contraption) to the scene to make the fruit end up in the blender

Rotate & roll - this is fun as..was popular ages ago but not so much now
    you have to rotate your phonebaround to control a little guy to collect the stars without falling out of the world. Based on a flash game

Construction zoneis the same as rotate, used to be popular, not so much now..It's kinda like simple physics but more in depth.. You need to build buildings ..if you like moonlites or world of goo you'll love this.
    There's a Free lite version for HD

Moonlights - similar to world of goo..but there's no characters like goo balls, you just have to build the correct structure that'll with stand the wind and reach the moon. There's a Free lite version

Trundle - alternate sort of puzzler, kinda abstract like Wog and contre jour, you need to get the trundle to the other side of the screen .. There's a Free lite version

Darkness Rush:Saving princess - Unreal powered endless runner that looks beautiful and goes for something different other than jump and collect. you can attack some obstacles, temporarily fly and transform into a werewolf/vampire for more power/flight.

Osiris Legends - 3d RPG designed for wii and psp but they lost budget and decided to port it to iOS, plays a bit like the tales games with its separate screen for battles, but very active attack and dodge system with skills. Long game as well.

Vertex Blaster - great 2 stick shooter in the vein of geometry wars, with 3 game modes including one protection mode where you have to stop towers getting attacked and heal them up by changing weapon, nice spin. Icing on the cake is support for icontrolpad analogue sticks

Final Run - maybe not a gem as it hasnt been out very long, but as far as i can tell no-one noticed it. Its a 3d driving game where some levels are exploration based, some challenges are speed based and some are combat based with car base and zombie enemies. extremely well polished

First Touch Soccer - It was easily better than Fifa 11 and I haven't played Fifa 12, but I doubt it's that far away from that. It got under the radar cause of Fifa obviously, but it's just so damn good! Only problem is that it isn't licensed by FIFA so you have to import kits there yourself.

Spongebob's Fun Time - When people see the name Spongebob, I doubt it gives them high expectations unless you're under 10, but this one's actually a really good puzzle game! Heck Gamezebo even gave it 5/5 and I couldn't agree more! It's like Angry Birds meets Peggle which has been made before if I'm right, but it really works in this. The levels are so random when you hit a jelly, it can take other jellys down leading in to total epic mess. There's also nice power ups that you can buy!

Hypership Out Of Control - This one I've been praising quite a lot, but for a reason! It's so much fun since the game focuses more on speedy flying and dodging rather than shooting. New update made it even better!

Pawn'd - Match-3 game with chess pieces, nuff said! Basically you move the gems like chess pieces. Move the horse gem like a horse pawn. There's 3 modes which all are different and unique and there's no boring "classic" match-3 game. Has beaten Dungeon Raid in hours lately although it doesn't quite match there.

Modern Combat 3 - I know what you're thinking... This is not a hidden gem. Okay, maybe it's not hidden and maybe it's not a shiny gem, but it is a gem inside still. People are overlooking it because of framerate issues and bugs, but even though there are some, it's still the most fun multiplayer experience so far on an iOS device imho!! So much fun, best shooter on handheld devices hands down.

Wizpin is an amazing game that should have got a lot more praise and players then it did. It was noticed for about a week then shrunk out of existence. This game is a must have for its unique gameplay and nice animations.

Push Panic-Possibly the most frantic and enjoyable puzzle game on the App Store. How this didn't get as much attention as it should have is no ones clue but it is a must for anyone.

Bring Me Sandwiches -So this game got the top game for a week and now is no where to be seen. It's an amazing game with a great story, huge amount of content and brilliant gameplay.

Kosmo Spin -Although Simogo are well know now Kosmo Spin is still a game AI never hear mentioned at all. The gameplay is amazing and it is so unique. I found it better than I found their latest games.

2. Snozberry

Snozberry Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2012
    #2 Snozberry, Mar 9, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
    I used to love jump out..it used to be pretty big but they haven't updated in a while so the new wave of gamers probably don't know about it I guess..

Mine would be-
    Vikings slice - it's a copy of ice slice by nitrome but even better controls in my opinion. Though cloning is wrong, it's very fun.
    You slice pieces of ice to knock Vikings into the ship using puzzle strategy
    There's a Free lite version

Joining hands - not super hidden, but it didn't get anywhere near the amount of recognition that it should have!
    You have to make all the characters join hands, set on a hexagon board, different characters have different personalities.. Emos need to be a space away from everyone else, some have 1,2,3,4, or 5 hands, some hands rotate others are fixed, ghosts must also be away from the others. Very fun game..played it through twice

Puddle puzzles- total hidden gem..found it by mistake and I love it
    Puzzler with water physics - only game I've seen with that mechanic.you got to get puddles into the warp hole whilst he is floating in water..you have to rotate your device to move the water around, and activate switches and stuff to get puddles to the warp hole.There's a Free lite version

Juice belts - really fun puzzler..very unique..it's a shame it got no updates
    It's a physics puzzler involving juice..you have to get the fruit into the blenders to make juice , you add elements ( like with feed me oil and caseys contraption) to the scene to make the fruit end up in the blender

Rotate & roll - this is fun as..was popular ages ago but not so much now
    you have to rotate your phonebaround to control a little guy to collect the stars without falling out of the world. Based on a flash game

Construction zone is the same as rotate, used to be popular, not so much now..It's kinda like simple physics but more in depth.. You need to build buildings ..if you like moonlites or world of goo you'll love this.
    There's a Free lite version for HD

Moonlights - similar to world of goo..but there's no characters like goo balls, you just have to build the correct structure that'll with stand the wind and reach the moon. There's a Free lite version

Trundle - alternate sort of puzzler, kinda abstract like Wog and contre jour, you need to get the trundle to the other side of the screen .. There's a Free lite version

Theyre all amazing games!

3. lumothesinner

lumothesinner Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2011
    UK
    I only have 4, if you look at my sig you will know why, i tend to go for the big name games.

Nevertheless I have found a few through this place.

Darkness Rush:Saving princess - Unreal powered endless runner that looks beautiful and goes for something different other than jump and collect. you can attack some obstacles, temporarily fly and transform into a werewolf/vampire for more power/flight.

Osiris Legends - 3d RPG designed for wii and psp but they lost budget and decided to port it to iOS, plays a bit like the tales games with its separate screen for battles, but very active attack and dodge system with skills. Long game as well.

Vertex Blaster - great 2 stick shooter in the vein of geometry wars, with 3 game modes including one protection mode where you have to stop towers getting attacked and heal them up by changing weapon, nice spin. Icing on the cake is support for icontrolpad analogue sticks

Final Run - maybe not a gem as it hasnt been out very long, but as far as i can tell no-one noticed it. Its a 3d driving game where some levels are exploration based, some challenges are speed based and some are combat based with car base and zombie enemies. extremely well polished

4. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    First Touch Soccer - It was easily better than Fifa 11 and I haven't played Fifa 12, but I doubt it's that far away from that. It got under the radar cause of Fifa obviously, but it's just so damn good! Only problem is that it isn't licensed by FIFA so you have to import kits there yourself.

Spongebob's Fun Time - When people see the name Spongebob, I doubt it gives them high expectations unless you're under 10, but this one's actually a really good puzzle game! Heck Gamezebo even gave it 5/5 and I couldn't agree more! It's like Angry Birds meets Peggle which has been made before if I'm right, but it really works in this. The levels are so random when you hit a jelly, it can take other jellys down leading in to total epic mess. There's also nice power ups that you can buy!

Hypership Out Of Control - This one I've been praising quite a lot, but for a reason! It's so much fun since the game focuses more on speedy flying and dodging rather than shooting. New update made it even better!

Pawn'd - Match-3 game with chess pieces, nuff said! Basically you move the gems like chess pieces. Move the horse gem like a horse pawn. There's 3 modes which all are different and unique and there's no boring "classic" match-3 game. Has beaten Dungeon Raid in hours lately although it doesn't quite match there.

Modern Combat 3 - I know what you're thinking... This is not a hidden gem. Okay, maybe it's not hidden and maybe it's not a shiny gem, but it is a gem inside still. People are overlooking it because of framerate issues and bugs, but even though there are some, it's still the most fun multiplayer experience so far on an iOS device imho!! So much fun, best shooter on handheld devices hands down.

I've got tens of others and I'd gladly list them, but those are the ones on my iPod... Except FTS which just came in my mind.

5. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    Well mine are:

Axe in Face
    If anyone knows me or follows my tweets and posts they will be more than aware that this is my favorite game by a long shot. I have completed every level to the highest score possible and still play the game constantly. Good job they are making it Universal and adding a second level pack.

Wispin
    Wispin is an amazing game that should have got a lot more praise and players then it did. It was noticed for about a week then shrunk out of existence. This game is a must have for its unique gameplay and nice animations.

Push Panic
    Possibly the most frantic and enjoyable puzzle game on the App Store. How this didn't get as much attention as it should have is no ones clue but it is a must for anyone.

Bring Me Sandwiches
    So this game got the top game for a week and now is no where to be seen. It's an amazing game with a great story, huge amount of content and brilliant gameplay.

Kosmo Spin
    Although Simogo are well know now Kosmo Spin is still a game AI never hear mentioned at all. The gameplay is amazing and it is so unique. I found it better than I found their latest games.

6. Neehan

Neehan Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja, Cut the Rope

But seriously Sir Benfro's Brilliant Balloon is a gorgeous touch to fly game with hand drawn levels.

7. DodgerBlue016

DodgerBlue016 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2011
    I create awesome paper airplanes that I will sell
    Here
    1. Crazy Hedgy-best 3D platformer out there and by far one of the best games on the app store. Just hasn't gotten a ton of recognition

2. Slam Dunk King-this one's free(mium, though iAPs are way more optional), but it's a heck of a lot of fun.

3. Tank Battalion Blitz-this one's published by a big name (Namco!) but it never has been spotted anywhere on the charts or in these forums or in reviews (bar one) that I've seen. Probly the best tank game available from what I've seen.

4. Curvebot-not sure how to describe it best, but it's a lot of fun.

5. Gameloft Sports Pack-It's by Gameloft, but never has really took off the ground that I've seen. Or it just hasn't when I've been on iOS. Either way, it has 3 quality sports games and is a load of fun.

HM:
    Flip Riders (before it got pulled and put back)
    Pudding Panic
    Muffin Knight
    Stinger Foosball League
    Tongue Tied

8. injuwarrior

injuwarrior Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2011
    USA
    Diablo dice
    Quarrel Deluxe
    Helsing's Fire
    soosiz
    Mini motor racing?

9. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    Pet Shop Girl - a match-3 game combined with time management elements that is seriously not loved enough

Pig Flick - a casual arcade game where you control three pigs running down three different lanes, collecting coins and avoiding obstacles. Each level is very short and so it encourages you to replay it multiple times to get the perfect score.

Super Bit Dash - A semi endless runner where you swipe in different directions to navigate the level and get past obstacles. The controls are tricky at first but once you get used to it it's really fun.

Ranch Rush - A really fantastic time management game where you build a farm while filling orders. Way better than most of the time management games on the appstore.

ASYNC Corp - A match three game where you are swapping pieces between two sides of the screen. Has a lot of unlockable stuff and quirky style.

10. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Miss Claire Garden- One of the best platformers on iOS, IMHO.
    Run! - Still my favorite endless runner.
    Chocorun - For using a unique one-touch control system, probably the best Super Meat Boy-like, IMO
    Bug Heroes - I always thought this never got the popularity it deserves.
    Meganoid Another one of my favorite platformers.

11. EfratBarTal

EfratBarTal Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    don't know if i got them right (maybe these are not the top, but they are on my device for quite some time) here are my unsung heroes:

Hoggy by Raptisoft
    Stockfish chess
    mr ninja by ponos
    legends of yore
    superstar chefs by donut games :)

12. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

Yipe V...Wonderful RPG.
    Slingo (Not hidden but fantastic)
    PGA Golo Dice
    King Cashing
    Lucky 11's by Megatouch (if this game had online leader boards it would be my number 1)

I am sure I am missing some.

13. Agas

Agas Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2011
    I love this thread.
    It's nice to see hidden good games, I'll check out all of it in case I see something interesting for my taste.

My 5 hidden gems probably are:
    1. Reiner Knizia's Poison -- card game
    2. Nimble Strong --- bartender game
    3. Diablo Dice -- dice throwing game
    4. Volcano Island -- board game
    5. Doodle Grub -- snake game

14. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    I actually just came to ask what a "ur" was. Can someone translate?

15. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    I think he meant, "your".

16. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    Oh, that makes sense! Thanks :)

17. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Knighturn - turn based strategy
    Fall of Angels -JRPG
    Devil Invasion - match 3
    Henry & the Psionic Overlords - world exploration board game RPG hybrid
    Ninja Dino Showdown?! - sidescrolling tower defense

18. Filing Cabinet

Filing Cabinet Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Here are some that i dont see mentioned a lot and are fantastic:

- Continuity 2 - A great puzzle game set as a platformer. Great visual style and music. The puzzles can get frustratingly difficult though. [for some people this is a positive]

- Cubes vs Spheres - You get spheres that you have a launch at an increasing number of cubes headed your way. Looks as crazy as it sounds, set in first person. Great graphics and a wide variety of sphere weapons. Smashing cubes is very satisfying

- Zombie Smash - A horizontal TD of sorts. Defend against zombies coming your way. You have to kill zombies by physically picking them up or using special power ups. Lot of fun smashing zombies

- Hard Lines - Snake with a great visual style and additional modes.

- Mad Chef - A game similar to fruit ninja without the swiping. you need to get ingredients and complete recipes. Same dev as Bug Heroes. Additional modes and lots of upgrades

19. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    I'm sorry, I'm so sorry - I really don't mean to be "that guy", but the title of this thread makes me cringe every time I read it. >_<

As for hidden gems, I nominate a release from this week that seems to be getting completely overlooked: Pebble Universe.
    I swear it was the same thing with Wind up Knight, it took so long to get some people to notice it. A physics puzzler is almost impossible though.

20. Sri Ram

Sri Ram Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Hmm, 5 is too short s number, but I'll list out my 5 that are STILL FREE

Zombie Parkour Runner/Zombie Runner Z Best runners involving zombies!

Beauty Run don't let the name turn you off, it's a great runner that offers a unique gliding mechanic, gets pretty challenging as well

Papercut great runner with a superb soundtrack and a constant day/night cycle that makes your running feel like a journey

Hoggy/Robot Wants Kitty great overlooked puzzle platformers

The Rainy Day Most relaxing runner out there, captures the ambiance of a rainy day on the street. You run away from rain drops, take shelter in once in a while and rescue lost pets. The goal is to reach your home without getting drenched. Recommended for the retro graphics and perfect ambiance

All of these are FREE, and very small in file size,worth downloading.