iPhone Eclipse: New Dawn for the Galaxy - 4X space strategy

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by BigDaddysCreations, Apr 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigDaddysCreations

BigDaddysCreations Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2010
    Software Developer
    Poland
    It's about 60-70 EUR. Not sure what's the price outside Europe.

2. Game.PN

Game.PN Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2013
    Going to the prison called "School"
    Earth,Milky Way
    Wow,just like I buy a 2 Xbox 360 games

3. Dreamshadow

Dreamshadow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2011
    I cant wait for the release on this one!

4. CoreyB

CoreyB Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Aircraft Mechanic
    Chicago, IL
    I know the suspense is killing me, I've been reading the manual in anticipation. Hopefully we can see the game before the traditional Wednesday release. I know they said Monday or Tuesday but, preparing myself for the worst, I don't see it happening.

5. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    $100 US but some bigger online retailers can sell it for $70 ish but they limit it to one per order.

I just happen to live near the main CoolStuffInc store (where all online orders are fulfilled) so I know my boardgames/prices ;)

6. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    I am EXTREMELY hyped for this game. I really hope the online experience has improved since the days of Caylus though.

7. BigDaddysCreations

Jul 8, 2010
    Software Developer
    Poland
    It's "in review" now. Hopefully will be available soon.

8. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Nah, they saw your post in BGG and decided to have a little fun with you. :p

9. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    I think this will be my first venture into 4X game genre, game looks amazing :)

10. Kedens

Kedens Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2013
    Graphic Design/Illustration
    Rochester, NY
    Any update on this? Anyone know where a direct App Store link is that we can check to buy as soon as its approved and put online? I know the App Store indexer has a delay...

11. Nachtfischer

Nachtfischer Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Game Designer
    Germany
  12. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

Mothrr flipeine frick frack toodle pip!!!

13. Dighvijay

Dighvijay New Member

Mar 18, 2013
    It's live in the AppStore now!!! Size 158mb..!!!!!

14. andsoitgoes

This is all I have to say about this:

[​IMG]

15. TheOctagonTheory

TheOctagonTheory Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
    semi-retired
    Tokyo, Japan
    Downloading now in Japan App Store

It's downloading a I write this.

16. andsoitgoes

First.

Awesome.

Second.

I. Am. So. Lost. It's. not. Even. Funny.

As a newbie to this, the tutorial helped a bit, but then it just bailed on me and left me with so many questions. Because you have to actually EXIT THE GAME to get to the manual, it had me so confused that I wanted to cry =\

I'm not the brightest, so please keep that in mind... But this is a stupidly and insanely complex game. Without direct access to the manual without having to exit, without tooltip help, without a tutorial that doesn't bail when you go to look at the manual (the only option is to restart the whole thing), without more continued hand holding at the get go, it makes is so terrifically daunting for a newbie.

Just when I needed the most help, I got bailed on. It's like being in the middle of a fight with a demon and then your support person bailing without telling you how to kill it.

For example, I had many situations at the end where I had ships with 11 energy, they get attacked, I defend and then when I hit attack to return the shot, my ships just scoot away and that's that... I couldn't understand why it was happening, or what was happening. I'm really bummed, I SO BADLY want to get this game, it's so amazing but so confusing.

17. BigDaddysCreations

Jul 8, 2010
    Software Developer
    Poland
    Not sure how to make it less complex - it's meant to be complex. I think that watching tutorial videos on BGG should help. There are few that explain the rules and teach you how to play.

18. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    So I haven't been able to pick the game up yet since I can't get ahold of an itunes card :)(!) so I'm not sure what exactly the tutorial has to offer but combat has a lot of variables that might help figure out what's going on. You had 11 energy but was that what your ship generates or what it had when it was your turn to attack? Did you use up energy with your shields so you didn't have enough to attack? Did your opponent have enough shields to drop your attack roll to a 1 meaning an automatic failure?

This video by undeadviking got me interested in the game initially and helps explain the game (though it's not a rule by rule walkthrough) skip to around 8:40 for the breakdown starting with player sheets. The video is around an hour long which is a good indicator of how complex Eclipse can be.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2p965QV2Q6Y

19. andsoitgoes

Can you allow access to the manual from within the game and possibly have some sort of way to drill down info on screen? For example, I can see the enemy ships but unless I'm familiar with the intricacies of all the icons, I have to just guess what they are.

Some of my biggest confusions are figuring out what the details of icons are. I know some might be explained by going through the manual in detail more which I plan to do, but I had hoped the manual would have been more than a scrolling web document.

The undo button, does that do anything? I've tried to utilize it before ending my turn and I've never been able to get it to work.

As for the attacking question - these were the first attacks made on my ship. I did move them, but I don't think I moved all lf them. Maybe I did? But I didn't see any clear reasoning as to why they LET me attack and then when I pressed the button, they just Did the cha-cha off the screen and died. They didn't even get fully destroyed, I watched closely, but they just died.

The issue is that this game will attract a crazy number of people because of the well deserved hype for the game. But as it stands, the tutorial really barely scratches the surface and the manual is, well..

I will try watching some videos, but because how nuanced the entire gameplay is, because of the slightly massive interface differences a lot gets lost in translation.

So badly do I want to understand that I'll dance naked in the street to NKOTB

20. BigDaddysCreations

Jul 8, 2010
    Software Developer
    Poland
    BTW, is it possible to close this thread and start the discussion in another thread I created in the released iPad games section? Vegan, could you help me here, plx? :)