Tiny Tower - Tips & Strategies Thread

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by KiddToKmart, Jun 23, 2011.

1. KiddToKmart

KiddToKmart Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    #1 KiddToKmart, Jun 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
    It's evident there are lots of minor details which the tutorial initially leaves out, only to encourage you to discover things by yourself while playing. Feel free to post your tips and strategies here.

Advanced Strategies

*** Above all, this one has helped me out the most: the game has some in-built mechanic to send a larger number of Bitizens to Housing Floors which are fully occupied or Shops as opposed to ones which have vacant spots. Take advantage of this by keeping one empty slot in each housing floor you own. If the Bitizen who just arrived has a high Job Skill Rating + wants a Dream Job in one of the establishments you own, keep him/her and evict someone else in the house. If the Bitizen which arrives seems like a waste, evict and wait for another.

By constantly keeping a slot open in each housing establishment, you increase your chances of filling in your Shops with employees who want them as Dream Jobs.

*** Job-Skill Ratings (out of 10) contribute towards a percentage discount while restocking any floor.
    ie: If three employees, each possessing a rating of 9 towards a particular skill are working in the appropriate store, a total of 27% of the normal price will be discounted each time you restock items on that floor.

*** Dream Jobs: 1 worker with dream job will get you double stock on the first sale item, two dream workers will get you double stock on the first and second items, three dream workers gets you double stock on all three.

*** Want to change one of your stores? Not happy with the Womens' Fashion Store or Frozen Yogurt stall?
    Wait for all stocks to get depleted from the store you want to change (to make the most of your invested money), and hit DELETE. This does not cost any Bux nor gold but it will put the floor back on construction mode; it will take 30 minutes more to build than your previously built floor, just as if you had purchased a new level for your tower.

*** Cycle your Bitizens if you are low on housing-space. They are required to STOCK STORES, not sell the items in the store. The latter happens automatically; therefore, you can fill up a store with three employees, finish stocking all three levels, then assign them at different floors. Comes in handy during SOME situations - I personally don't take advantage of this too much with so many Bitizens on hand already to manage.

General Tips

- Suggested order for spending Bux initially in the game would be as follows:
    i. Transport as many passengers as possible, collect tips and start building your Bux hoard
    ii. Do not spend Bux on restocking Level 1 or Level 2 items. Level 3 (the longest), go for it.
    iii. Save up 50 Bux and trade them for 100,000 gold.
    iv. Spend the 100,000 you receive on building up as many floors as you can, while saving some for re-stocking purposes.
    v. It's time to start saving up your Bux - as mentioned above, only spend them on speeding up Level-3 (the longest) store items - wait out Levels 1 and 2, they're usually considerably shorter.
    vi. Once you have 25 more Bux saved up, it's time for your first Elevator upgrade - you won't realize how helpful this is until you actually upgrade it and find out for yourself!
    vii. Keep collecting Bux, upgrading your tower as well as its' Elevator going - build a variety of shops and have a great time with the game.

- To help with the above... get into a habit of SAVING CASH! Bored of transporting Bitizens up and down the elevator? Multi-task out into a game of NBA Jam, lap of Real Racing 2 or match of First Touch Soccer and come back while your floors are being built or items are being restocked.

- Make sure all of your shops' three employment-slots are filled with skilled workers. Keep your floors fully stocked with items before logging off or taking a break, letting you sell maximum stock while away. If you're 15-20 stock away from hitting empty on a Level 2 or 3 item, consider spending Cash to restock it fast before logging off.

- Plan your next move. You will usually have more unemployed Bitizens in your hotel than working ones initially, since only 3-slots exist per store. Decide which shop you want to open next and invite only Bitizens with that particular skill-set to stay at your tower while you save up gold for the next floor.

- Stock all three items on any shop to get a small coin bonus. There are NO ALERTS as to when an item goes out of stock; so keep your eyes peeled!

- You can give each Bitizen a makeover for 1 coin per change. Beware, this is not mentioned explicitly in-game!

- Change the theme of each room by tapping on it, and then hitting PAINT! You start off with 100 Paint-credits which can be used to renovate any room in your tower. When you run out, buy another 100 Paint-credits for 1 "Bux"!

- It's easier organize and henceforth, manage your rooms, restaurants and other themed-floors if they are stacked together. Tap on the room you want to shift, and hit MOVE! This costs 1 "Bux" every time you move any floor.

- When doing the "find a Bitizen" mini-missions, you don't need to find his exact position (a-la Where's Waldo) - just tap anywhere on the floor he or she is on!

2. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    - Have all possible stocked. It'll give you coins or bux.

3. KiddToKmart

Feb 10, 2011
    Added + modified a bit!

4. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Great tips. This thread should definitely come in handy. :)

5. protip:get the 25 bux elevator upgrade then the 100k coins one
    makes putting stuff in places much much easier

6. KiddToKmart

Feb 10, 2011
    How does that make sense?

If you're halfway to 50, then dump it all on simply making the elevator go faster, how does that aid in making money? Not only that... it puts you back at 0 Cash!

Doesn't it make more sense to save up for 50 cash, trade it in for 100,000 gold and build a few floors off-the-bat to start generating even more income? While those floors are being constructed, you can then save up more cash to get the Elevator upgrade which makes a lot more sense at 9-10 floors than it does at 5 or 6.

7. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    - Have at least 10 bitizens, they pay you rent
    - Have a job for most of the people

8. Deltacows1

Deltacows1 Well-Known Member

May 27, 2009
    Awesome guide.

I'm currently up to my 7th floor. Accidentaly bought the wrong type though 0_;

9. KiddToKmart

Feb 10, 2011
    I only wish these Bitizens came with a bit more intelligence.

Apartment on 2nd floor - full.
    Apartment on 5nd floor - 2 spots empty.

...and he walks into, and out of, the 2nd floor.

EVIL!!

10. crex

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Oh, the irony. :D

11. KiddToKmart

Feb 10, 2011
    Haha... good catch.

... but the Heat lost, so it doesn't even matter.

12. crex

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    grrrrrrrr......

13. KiddToKmart

Feb 10, 2011
    Impersonating LeBron? :p

14. crex

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    *sigh*

15. Hirusan

Hirusan Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Photographer
    Japan
    It's really important to dump low skill tenants and try to keep the brightest. They will make your life much easier.

16. Deltacows1

Deltacows1 Well-Known Member

May 27, 2009
    It sounds so cruel though.

'Hey uh, you're not that good at cooking. Get out of my tower. You can never live here again.'

17. gunxsword

gunxsword Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    Do you just evict them or something? Does it come at a cost?
    Oh and I noticed that (shop name) + (dream job=shop name) = 2x stock. Are the shop names random?

Kudos to the devs and their IAP/item exchange pricing... the last option's item/effect ratio makes it the best option by FAR compared to the rest... damn I need more itune cards... :D

18. KiddToKmart

Feb 10, 2011
    Evicting is free - no cost nor consequence.

If you match up a Bitizen with his dream job, you get +3 cash - just found out. Will add it to the main post.

19. KiddToKmart

Feb 10, 2011
    I caved in and bought the 4.99 IAP. Paying this amount for a game i've been enjoying for the past 3 hours didn't seem too much of a sacrifice.

What a difference it makes though, the 100,000 you get by selling cash changes everything. I decided to make the purchase right after the VIP that speeds up construction rolled in with his little yellow hat, so I got a complimentary upgrade out of it too :D

The game gets a lot more fun with more to manage. Initial floors were a drag - it felt like grinding TIME instead of monsters, for XP. Heh.

I liked this though :)

[​IMG]

20. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Oh and new tips.

- Try to get the bitizens to a work category they like, for example food
    - Even better if you get them to their dream job