The Pet Thread!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by JBRUU, Jan 15, 2013.

1. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Here you can post what pets you have, give advice to others and generally moan about dog hair if you happen to have a hairy dog like I do.

I have one cat (12 years old) and one dog (nearly 3). The cat is a mutt that looks exactly like a purebred Maine Coonz (don't think I spelled that right) and the dog is a purebred German Shepherd who absolutely loves getting hair all over the house, in every imaginable place. But she's a great dog :D

It was a riot when we first brought the dog home as a puppy, she kept trying to play with this poor old cat who's never had another animal in the house before...I have some hysterical videos XD.

I'm sure some of you guys have pets besides idevices, what kind, how many and what are their names, if I may ask?

2. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    I've got 2 cats.

This is them sleeping:
    [​IMG]

And this is them waking up and stretching:
    [​IMG]
    *the white cat may seem like he's high, but I assure you that he's not :D

They are 7 months old now and we call them Mačik (slovenian for male cat) and Mačka (Slovenian for female cat), so they basically don't have a name. Good luck trying to walk trough our door haha :D

Look at them and tell me they're not cute... If you dare.

3. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Yay! I like threads like this :) My parents have a 2 year old golden retriever named Hebgen (named after a lake in Montana, I guess). He's crazy, but also very intelligent. Smartest dog we've ever had. Also the most obstinate, too. Silly puppies :p

Other than him, no pets here. I live on my own right now, and am rather lonely as a result of that. I wouldn't mind a kitty or a bunny, though. :) A dog seems like it would be too much work for me. Not to say cats and bunnies aren't difficult to take care of, but from my experience with Hebgen, I feel like cats and bunnies are much less difficult than dogs. :p

In terms of electronic pets, I have a 3DS and a Vita, which I care for very deeply <3

4. Capricornman

Capricornman Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2011
    #4 Capricornman, Jan 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
    We had a mutt when I was younger. He lived for 19.5 years. His name was Bobo! One of my brothers had a Schipperke dog ( his name was Skipper) for nearly 16 years. Right now our pets are the local squirrel community. We've befriended the matriarch and some others that are friendly and gentle. We feed them every day! Warning: Observe and remember each squirrel because they all have different personalities and some are crazy. They are intelligent and fascinating little souls:)

5. #5 Connector, Jan 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
    Does Ninjackid count even if he doesn't live in my home now???

Sigh, I got a sad story to tell. I had a female cat, who I named Tiger because she loves to hunt, but one month ago she disappeared. Usually I take her in at nights, but during the day, let her out so she can play with some other cats and go hunt nice and pigeons. Sometimes she even likes to go on the roof of the house, and she overall was a good cat.

She was kind of a stray when she first came to my place, kind of between a kitten and a full grown cat. I started feeding the cat, and she took a liking to me, so while I have never really been a cat person, I gave her a home. Often when I was watching tv at night, she would come snuggle next to me, and I would pet her. She always liked to cling onto me with one of her feet, it was kind of funny.

But one month ago, she mysteriously disappeared. Really sad, she probably is in cat heaven I guess, got no idea what happened to her. Anyway sad story I know. Rest in Peace.

Attached Files:

6. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Aww. I feel some of your pain, our cat Tush diaspeared suddenly about 10 years ago and we couldn't find her for 3 days straight. On the third day though I heard meowing in a bush, investigated, and there she was.

Surprise: she was pregnant >_< what a pain in the butt.

Really cute cats Primoz, don't know how they're so thin and fit. Tush is a hulking behemoth, nearly 20 pounds last I checked, though the stress of the dog might've relieved her of some girth xD

Here's a pic of my dog, Faith:

Attached Files:

7. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    I also like to take more "artistic" pics of Faith sometimes, here's one I took with my iPad camera while she was sleeping (noticed the damnable dog hair on the carpet...:mad:):

Attached Files:

8. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Well guys sorry for all these posts, just had to show off my two awesome animals...here's one of that darn dog hopping on my sofa (she KNOWS not to) being totally oblivious to me standing right there yelling at her and the poor cat just staring as if to say "please tell this oversized brute to get away"

Attached Files:

9. Capricornman

Dec 8, 2011
    Very nice photos JBRUU!

10. Capricornman

Dec 8, 2011
    Very touching photo!

11. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Many of these pictures belong in r/aww just saying.

I have 2 tortoises. Not sure what the name of the breed is in English. Also we took care of our granddad's cute, but old(16 years) jack russel's terrier. He's so gorgeus and cute :)

12. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Thanks! They were actually all taken with my iPad, I didn't have a real camera handy. I think most of them turned out nicely.

13. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I need to upload a photo of my dog!

I used to help out at the weekend at a rescue centre, walked tons of dogs, they were well looked after.

But there was one dog there, very depressed, he was born blind, a staffie (which now have a bad 'image' here in the UK), so a blind staffie isnt the best mix !

Anyway we rehomed him and its amazing how he gets on. He plays 'football' with me, the balls have bells in so when i kick them he chases the ball, even if the balls stopped moving he sniffs it out, being born blind his other senses such as smell seem to be much better.

He also listens to my voice a lot, imagine a car reversing, some cars have a reverse sensor. Its a bit like that, i sound mad down the local park but if i call his name quickly if hes near a tree he'll do a 90 degree turn, so hes off the lead and if hes walking/running towards a tree or something i can get him to turn, its like i'm his dog (for a blind person) if you know what i mean

One benefit is the wife cant move furniture in the house as he'll lose his bearings so thats good !

But hes very friendly, i work at home so hes always with me, one problem is if i'm away for a day or so (business trip) he wont eat and just sits there waiting for me non stop ! Too loyal ! As i tell people down the park 'its good in a way he was born blind, its not like he just turned blind, its like he doesnt realise hes blind, he thinks its normal'.

Amazing dog though, people dont realise hes blind the way he confidently walks round the park or runs. I'll always get a rescue dog now whatever. But i'll be the person who would rehome the blind 3 legged albino deaf runt ! Dogs like that dont normally get homes so thats the type i would always go for, the cute little dog will get rehomed in minutes

14. Capricornman

Dec 8, 2011
    Nice camera but no matter how great a camera is it still takes a creative eye to frame a great picture:)

15. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    #15 JBRUU, Jan 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
    Oh guys I forgot...I have one other pet! Picked Bob up while waiting in line extremely bored at Six Flags, he's graced my dresser ever since. Yeah, he's a pet rock :p unfortunately he ran away about a week ago, :( :( :( if any of you see a brownish, lumpy rock PLEASE let me know!!

Oh...well thanks. Don't really think any of those except the one of her on the carpet are all that creative though, just point 'n shoot. I used to have some really nice ones of her in the backyard chasing a frisbee, rolling in the grass, etc but those accidentally got deleted when I upgraded my device :(

Oh and Primoz, looking back, the white kitty is most certainly high. What have you been adding to the cat food??

@psj that's a pretty amazing dog you have there. You're the first seeing-eye human I know! How old is he?

16. Capricornman

Dec 8, 2011
    Oh I hate when photos get deleted:( not to worry Spring and Summer are coming:)

17. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    We have and love a leopard gecko. You'd be surprised how cute a leopard gecko becomes after you have him for a little while. His little head popping out of his house, the way he wiggles his tail and lunges at crickets (and mealworms! LOL!), just the way he walks. Leopard geckos don't do much, but they are still fun to have and they definitely grow on you. I wouldn't mind getting a second one, but this time starting with a baby. I have never gotten a very good photo of him due to lighting, but if I can manage a decent pick I'll post it.

18. May Tiger rest in peace. Here she was hunting a big rat. Check it out.

Attached Files:

19. Capricornman

Dec 8, 2011
    Aw!Aw! Tiger looks like she's being polite and posing for the photo. I'm sure she would have loved to play with her new squeaky toy...a real rat. At least it looks like it was a healthy rat eating it looks like sunflower seeds and nuts.
    What happened after this photo was taken?:)

20. Peewhy

Peewhy Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    I had a cat, I miss him