Universal I Am The Hero (by Crazyant)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by DTK, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Jenohart

Jenohart Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2010
    Australia
    #21 Jenohart, Nov 18, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
    Absolutely. The characters you unlock are the enemies you fight, so you'll notice enemies doing interesting moves. The rappers can shoot flying words, the hooded guys fight exclusively with different kinds of kicks, the "Poison"-esque female guards have whip attacks, the hooded guy with a sword has different slashes and a divekick, the knife-wielding mask guy in a hoodie has slashes and two projectile attacks and the boss characters have a variety of moves.

The character you unlock when you choose to unlock one is random out of one that appeared in the stage. Once you clear the game, you have to go up to a higher dificulty to get more unlocks. If you always choose characters then you'll unlock all the characters once you get to the last level on hard. There are a few exceptions (mostly boss characters and the aforementioned masked guy) and you can see their unlock condition by tapping on the locked icon on the character select screen. You get three characters for beating the game on each of the three difficulties and three (possibly four according to steam discussion threads) characters from surviving x amount of waves in workshop-fight.

The one issue so far is that there is pretty extreme lag and slowdown during the later waves of workshop fight. Once you get to around wave 60, the game lags when enemies spawn in and if you manage to attack a group of them. I'm using an iPhone 6s so slowdown during games isn't something I see too often. I got up to wave 69 before the slowdown got so bad that I couldn't really fight back, which is a shame because steam discussion threads suggest you can unlock the
    final (final) boss
    by clearing 80 waves.

2. FiloMJ

FiloMJ Well-Known Member

May 16, 2015
    Male
    Instabuy. No regrets at all!

3. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I take it there are no forced ads then? *wink*

4. FiloMJ

FiloMJ Well-Known Member

May 16, 2015
    Male
    *wink* I love you guys :*

5. Jenohart

Oct 29, 2010
    Australia
    #25 Jenohart, Nov 18, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
    Bit of an odd thing. Through the terrible framerate I managed to get up to wave 81 in workshop-fight and it does indeed unlock the
    final-final boss
    as a playable character. However, even after unlocking him he doesn't appear on the character select screen, and there doesn't seem to be a way to select him again if you select a different character later.

Pictures here, linked for final boss spoilers. The locked space is for the character you unlock after beating critical difficulty btw.

I haven't played the Steam version so I don't know if it's intentional or not, but it definitely seems like a glitch.

6. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY
    Thanks for all that....really appreciate.

So can you unlock characters from the workshop? If so, after how many waves?

I love that they created a brawler that you can pick up and play whenever you feel like and not have to worry about energy or anything.

7. Jenohart

Oct 29, 2010
    Australia
    If you tap on the locked icons in the character select screen it shows you how to unlock certain characters. You can unlock 4 characters from workshop-fight:

15 waves - Masked guy with knife in black hoodie (throws knives and exploding frogs)
    30 waves - Butcher boss in hockey mask
    50 waves -
    Final boss (first form)
    80 waves [not on character select screen] -
    Final boss (second form)

But as I've said, even after you unlock the fourth character they don't show up on the character select screen and I'm pretty sure it's a glitch. I emailed the developer from their website because this seems like a pretty bad glitch for anyone to get after fighting through so many waves. And the developers seem pretty active too, and update became available as I was typing my last message that seemed to fix some other minor glitches.

I love that workshop-fight isn't just a survival mode too, every 5 waves you get to choose one of three randomized power ups with things like making making you attack faster or increasing max health. It's a nice pick-up-and-play mode.

8. inthismoment07

inthismoment07 Active Member

Aug 12, 2014
    Just purchased this and the being stuck at the hospital on iPad bug is back after latest update. Playing on iPad mini 2. Hope to see if fixed again soon. Seems like a really awesome game.

9. boydstr

boydstr Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2016
    Male
    Gamer
    Netherlands
    Anyone knows #.....?
    Reading How the game is played it seems unlikely but mabey with controller action buttons and D-pad must be possible to push buttons and push up/down/left/right to juggle etc.

10. jar0d

jar0d Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Europe
    Does anyone know why there’s the (navigation?) bar on the bottom in the iPhone X? It’s kind of annoying. Is this because the dev didn’t optimize it for the iPhone X?

11. Jenohart

Oct 29, 2010
    Australia
    Just got an email reply from the developer saying they're gonna fix the character unlock glitch, good to know the devs are working on making the game better. Just thought someone might like to know.

12. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    New York, NY
    Thanks for sharing

13. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    New York, NY
    Is it possible to go back and play earlier levels?

I found one “collectible” in a level, but wanted to go back and look for others.

14. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    New York, NY
    edit: I figured it out. So when you beat "standard", are there a different set of levels in "hard" or are they the same...just harder?

15. inthismoment07

inthismoment07 Active Member

Aug 12, 2014
    New update fixed iPad problems. Campaign is now working on iPad mini 2. Thanks for fixing it so fast. This is a great game by the way. Beautiful and smooth controls.

16. lezrock

lezrock Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2010
    Really nice brawler in very modern pixel look. Version 1.05 Sadly crashes on iPhone 6 with iOS 9.3.5 when trying to continue the campaign which was startet with the build before.

17. thomas.foster

thomas.foster Member

Jul 11, 2016
    London
    Just love the graphics and sleek gameplay!

18. kisschrisjohnson

Sep 28, 2017
    Yes you are the hero, developers ! Brilliant experience

19. Jenohart

Oct 29, 2010
    Australia
    The new update fixed BOTH the lag in later waves of workshop-fight and the secret character not appearing! Linked due to final boss spoilers. Doesn't have their own portrait but they're a secret character so it's understandable.

Now that's committed devs, fixing both glitches days after I emailed them about it. If you find any glitches yourself email them at: [email protected]

Yes, go to main menu -> level -> choose a difficulty, it will show all the stages you've beaten for that difficulty and you can replay any stage or even sub-stage. Note that you won't get move/character unlocks for beating stages you already cleared, you need to go up to a higher difficulty when you beat the game once.

The same levels but harder.

20. saddykark

saddykark Member

Nov 21, 2017