Circix - Proof of why Windows Phone is a must for indie devs

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by kinoro, May 1, 2014.

1. Pixelosis

Pixelosis Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2013
    Well I guess now we'll have to marry. That's clever. :p

2. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    Darkin is a super cool 2D game recently released which uses unity. It is very polished.

3. POLYGAMe

POLYGAMe Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2010
    Game Developer (iOS, Mega Drive, C64)
    Auckland, New Zealand
    And we could have super coding babies that could create the world's most advanced AI and take over the world!

4. J.O.Y

J.O.Y Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2011
    Male
    Head of Product at Imba Games
    Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam
    I'd like to share my experience in Windows Phone platform. My game Troll Running was featured in many stores and it had around 5k install per day in those days.
    However, it seems that Windows Phone users don't pay too much (% paid user is less than Android version). Ads revenue is also less than the rest platform.
    The advantage when you publish to Windows Phone platform is: the store is full of trash and clone apps. So you have more chance to be featured there.
    As my exp, China has the biggest number of download. I don't have any game featured in US so I don't know that market.

5. Jacky

Jacky Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2013
    It seems that Windows Phone is a virgin place that waiting for your cultivation. We will also submit our new game Warfare Nations to Windows phone appstore.

It has already been released on Google Play, with about 2K downloads per day without any marketing. It will also be released on App Store on June 2. I am waiting to see which market is the most potential one.

6. Jacky

Jacky Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Hi Kinoro,

Nice to meet you. I am also a Windows Phone developer and was encouraged by your post. I have released my games to windows phone appstore since June 2 and got some downloads, but we can't see any in-app purchase on the dashboard. Do you think it normal according to your experience. If somebody purchased the in-app items, will that appear on the dashboard? Thanks for your sharing!

7. TRex Dev

TRex Dev New Member

Mar 6, 2014
    Software Developer
    Lancashire, England
    Hi Jacky,

You certainly should be able to see the in app purchase numbers on your dashboard, or by going to the 'Reports' section of the Windows Phone Dev Centre. It takes at least 24 to 48 hours for any purchases to show, but sometimes longer (I have seen it take a week a couple of times).

The rate of IAPs bought by WP Circix users has been quite low, around one purchase per 300 downloads. I've been trying to analyse why this is the case, I suspect it's down to WP being most popular in the entry-level smartphone market (e.g. the Lumia 520). We have received 5x the income in ads over IAPs on WP (using Admob rather than pubcentre). Ad and IAP incomes on iOS and Android are much more balanced, perhaps because of the better ratio of higher-end smartphones and therefore dare I say a demographic more willing to spend!

Best of luck with your games :)

8. Jacky

Jacky Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Hi Trex,

Thank you for your help. At first, I thought the same way -- the low conversion rate on Windows phone appstore. But I got some reviews from players that they are not allowed to purchase in-app items. I have tested, and I can purchased them successfully. After checking the IAP, they are published successfully. I have written to Microsoft for help, but haven't got the problem solved. Have you encountered the problem before? It's our first time to publish game on Windows, so we don't know what the problem is.

9. Jacky

Jacky Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2013
  10. Pixelosis

Pixelosis Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2013
    Sure. Would you mind sending me a cheque beforehand, or make a deposit on some bank account?