Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 09-20-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightc1 View Post
Too bad the IAP scared folks... It seemed like a creative way to have IAP. Most other games in this genre on ios offer only one save.
Games tend to have multiple files. It's a basic feature, being able to play through the game again without deleting your complete file. Having to buy the game and then pay more for a basic thing is not right.

I see there's no "top IAP" listed in the App Store. So it looks like nobody is buying that. Well, good. We don't want anyone to get the idea to charge for more basic features in paid games.

I did get the game, after some debate.
But I absolutely refuse to buy the IAP. It's just terrible. It's a bad idea and it's likely hurting sales of the game itself too. It's supposed to be a good product but it has a questionable issue built in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mullet_Mcgee View Post
It's exactly this kind of move that completely turned me off towards buying the game. Charging money for extra save files is basically a big middle finger in the player's face if you ask me.

Last edited by Intendro; 09-20-2014 at 11:30 AM..
Old 09-20-2014, 01:15 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intendro View Post
Games tend to have multiple files. It's a basic feature, being able to play through the game again without deleting your complete file. Having to buy the game and then pay more for a basic thing is not right.
I've played a lot of iOS games. Not all of the thousands I own but many hundreds of the top games. Multiple saves are typically only found in ports of older games and sometimes RPGs. They are pretty rare outside of that because for the most part they aren't needed and no one thinks to put them in.
Old 09-20-2014, 01:49 PM

They may not be needed in, for example, a game with stages where you can pick stage 1 and play again "from the start," but...

When playing the game again means deleting all my data, there should be another save file. I don't want to lose my data to play again. Why should I have to do that?

A lot of older games had more save files... Well why doesn't everything where it would make sense?
There isn't even any excuse like lack of cartridge space anymore. Just have another save file! It's simple. 😣

Last edited by Intendro; 09-20-2014 at 01:52 PM..
Old 09-21-2014, 02:08 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

I think that it's GOOD that the developer put in the option to buy extra save slots. The developer deserves to make money any way they can. This business is damn hard, and games sell for too cheap. The price of the game plus the price of a second save slot is still a ridiculously low price.
Old 09-21-2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorkbot View Post
I think that it's GOOD that the developer put in the option to buy extra save slots. The developer deserves to make money any way they can. This business is damn hard, and games sell for too cheap. The price of the game plus the price of a second save slot is still a ridiculously low price.
It should have gone with that price in the first place then...
Sure it's still cheap, but it's less cheap than it appeared! That's what people hate about IAP like this, the price is misleading and it's just trying to annoy people into paying more, when that's just going to have the opposite effect.
Old 09-21-2014, 05:02 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

There's no reason to assume before purchase that there will be multiple saves, since most ios games don't have them. And this way people who don't want an extra save don't need to pay for it.
Old 09-21-2014, 05:57 PM

Quote:
There's no reason to assume before purchase that there will be multiple saves, since most ios games don't have them. And this way people who don't want an extra save don't need to pay for it.
That doesn't mean they shouldn't.
I would assume that a game that makes sense to have another file would actually have another. But for some reason it doesn't always happen.

And why would another save file cost money anyway? How simple is it to save to one file or the other? My computer can do that very quickly and easily. Since when does this cost extra?

Why would this basic feature cost money? Because everyone is trying to monetize everything and it keeps getting worse. All these freemium-type things showing up in paid games, even timers...

Why not make it better? Better should logically sell more than annoying! Why are the sale tactics so annoying? The logic is backwards. *sigh* So I keep on hoping this will stop.
And I can't stop myself from complaining, apparently.

Last edited by Intendro; 09-21-2014 at 05:59 PM..
Old 09-21-2014, 09:36 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intendro View Post
And why would another save file cost money anyway?
Because it has value? It's obviously something you want, so I think that means it is something that you value. Then why not pay for it?

The consumers (collectively) have forced the price down on iOS games to an unsustainable level. A developer simply can't charge more than a few dollars for their app, or no one will buy it. So it should come as no surprise that developers have to experiment creatively with ways to make money on their games. They're not trying to rip you off, they're just trying to stay afloat so they can continue to make cool games and feed their kids and stuff like that. Gee whiz!

Last edited by Glorkbot; 09-21-2014 at 09:38 PM..
Old Yesterday, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Because it has value? It's obviously something you want, so I think that means it is something that you value. Then why not pay for it?

[...]They're not trying to rip you off[...]
It's like buying something but it turns out this one has pieces missing that cost extra. People don't like IAP doing this, and this keeps getting worse.
Well, it kind of sounds like a ripoff, doesn't it? It's something not quite right.
I get that they have to make money, but how does a way that makes people mad help?

I said something about that already. We're repeating ourselves.
This argument has gone on too long.
We can agree on that, right?

Last edited by Intendro; Yesterday at 10:04 AM..
Old Yesterday, 01:02 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Any kind of IAP at all makes some people mad. I don't like it much, myself. (I don't think I've EVER bought any in an iOS game, but I have bought it in some Nintendo Wii U games.)

In this case it didn't really bother me because I was able to play the game to completion without it. And the game is so good I hope folks aren't missing out just on a matter of principal.

Last edited by Glorkbot; Yesterday at 01:09 PM..