Gameloft games made from china?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by MrDark, Sep 16, 2009.

1. MrDark

MrDark Well-Known Member

May 3, 2009
    just found out gameloft's games, like walmart, most of them made from China.

after completed its games, such as "Blades of fury", "Castle of Magic" and etc... the programmers list are all Chinese. With those cheap labours, they can make many games in short time. No doubt, they can empoly 5 progammers in China, and can only get one programmer here, that's why they can sell their games in really cheap & low price.

hum... good or bad? I dunno.

2. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Dont really care where they are made as long as they keep making good enough games. :)

3. Masmo

Masmo Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Overlord
    In your pants
    Lol, we share the same view. And the gameloft games aren't that cheap but they're reasonable for the quality and polish in most of them like MC: S.

4. mavis

mavis Well-Known Member

Exactly. If the quality is bad, I'll stop buying them. Until then ... ;)

5. Camzy

Camzy Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    #5 Camzy, Sep 16, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
    Don't be so prejudiced. Lots of Chinese people are good with numbers and programming. They could be programmers and all live in the States.

6. dommur

dommur Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2009
    pm me ill tell u
    who cares as long as its fun games

7. sktung

sktung Active Member

Dec 27, 2008
    Wow - I can't believe the leap of logic made to conclude that Gameloft uses cheap labor in China.

So because the programmers have Chinese sounding names, the games must be made in China? Have you considered that maybe a lot of Chinese-Americans that live in the USA are developers?

This is like assuming that a bunch of jewish sounding names = made in israel or a bunch of anglo-saxon sounding names means made in some eastern european sweatshop. :rolleyes:

8. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    What's wrong with Chinese programmers? Just because they're Chinese you automatically assume that they're being underpaid?

9. Kita

Kita Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Boston
    This is good and bad news depending how you look at it. Let's assume that these people are working under harsh conditions. You can either be dismissive about it and have the "I don't care as long because it doesn't affect me attitude" or it could offend you. I've known someone who got stuck in a harsh environment (which psychologically affect him over time) and if there was factual evidence that these people were being mistreated then I probably won't buy their apps because and not support the behavior. Not that it makes a significant difference in anyway but more of a moral belief thing.

10. jdigitL

jdigitL Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    #10 jdigitL, Sep 16, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
    hallo?

everything is made in China?

its only the fastest growing nation evar

your clothes, shoes, underwears, car you drive, silverwares you ate your breakfast with, iphone components... all made in the republic

11. thewiirocks

thewiirocks Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Expert Software Engineer
    #11 thewiirocks, Sep 16, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
    Why?
    ________
    Bmw R 90 S History

12. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    Come on, we're talking about professional software development, not sweatshops with little children being whipped/beaten/starved.

I've worked with folk in Shanghai before. They were an enthusiastic, talented bunch, and while they were paid less than comparable US engineers, they were happy for the opportunity, and just as productive.

13. Bresson

Bresson New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    #13 Bresson, Sep 16, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
    Gameloft has development studios all over the world, you just happened to check 2 games that were done in China.
    ________
    Ferrari 330 picture

14. iamnotpretending

iamnotpretending Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2009
    Marketing guy, developer
    Chicago
    How do you even know all the designers are Chinese (or first-generation Chinese even)? That's like saying all people with the last name Perez are Mexican.

15. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Why should you care of they are from China it doesn't affect you in any way. Chill out...

16. Joshn

Joshn Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2009
    England
    This is a ridiculous assumption to make for many of the reasons stated above. Also i would like to point out the reason gameloft games are cheap is because they are competatively priced and are probably making more money than if they were at the top end of the price range.

17. sa66o6

sa66o6 Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Hmm

They might have been "inspired" from other games,but they are giving us one of the best games on the iphone.

18. Camzy

Camzy Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    That's the wrong attitude.

You should care how your stuff is being made.

But, to leap to conclusions that they're working under harsh conditions from no evidence is ridiculous too.

19. tehdewm

tehdewm Member

Aug 30, 2009
    #19 tehdewm, Sep 16, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
    bit of an ignorant presumption...
    At least the games are good quality, but sometimes I feel bad, because gameloft
    games are such a force on the iphone/ipod that they over shadow some of the modest developers that make excellent games.
    I wish they would also update games with content more often.

20. karlth

karlth Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Iceland
    Speaking as a indy developer that should force us to work harder and improve the quality of our games.

As long as the Appstore allows equal opportunity then we can't complain.