What qualifies as a hardcore game?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by donner, Jul 29, 2009.

1. donner

donner Well-Known Member

#1 donner, Jul 29, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
    I hear complaints about the lack of Hardcore games for the idevice. For some reason the label Hardcore has come to mean a bloody FPS or a 500hr long RPG. For some reason a Hardcore game must take over your life completely or mimic real life to qualify as a hardcore game. I'm not sure how that came about, but I hate it.

To me a good hardcore game is a game that greatly challenges you to beat it or be the best at it. Its a game that requires a level of skill and determination to beat or be "good" at it. There are a huge selection of games on the app store that require this and have a huge FUN factor along with it.

What iphone / ipod touch games qualify as a hardcore game to you? Im curious....

2. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Donner, what you want are FUN games.
    Hardcore games are hardcore because of the blood and 500hr long RPGs that take over your life. If it didn't take over your life, or didn't have extreme blood, it wouldn't be hardcore...just...just...FUN. ;)

3. donner

donner Well-Known Member

Well is becoming #1 overall at flight control, or completing every level and challenge of Peggle considered hardcore?

4. le'deuche123

le'deuche123 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    A resounding no!!! That makes you hard casual!

5. Mr. Charley

Sep 6, 2008
    I see what you're doing there. ;)

In all seriousness, I would say that the person who becomes #1 of FC or finishes all the challenges of Peggle is hardcore, but the games are not hardcore, they are still considered "casual".
    So they would be a hardcore gamer of a casual style game. :p

6. Mr. Charley

Sep 6, 2008
    Oh that's classic....hard casual. :D

7. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
    Yes. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hardcore+gamer

8. sumiguchi

sumiguchi Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Developer (Business Apps)
    Canada
    I don't think iphone is the right platform for hardcore games. Gamers already have an NDS or PSP and either a 360 or PS3 at home... That said there are hardcore games - but they get buried in the app store quickly.

I'm a gamer and the game I made is what I would consider for hardcore gamers - though its on the retro side of that... In any case, Anomaly has not sold well despite several very good reviews...

9. Mr. Charley

Sep 6, 2008
  10. donner

donner Well-Known Member

Right - I just see that the word "hardcore" seems to be related to only FPS or RPG's - it bugs me. A good challenging game that takes time + skill + determination to beat to me is hardcore, no matter what the genre.

11. mlkaufman

mlkaufman Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Chicago
    I was going to put in some childish sexual innuendo, but I see you got there ahead of me. :)

Michael

12. donner

donner Well-Known Member

from the urban dictionary:

The stereotypical hardcore gamer is out of shape, and has poor hygene. They spend a lot of their disposable income on video games, consoles, or PC upgrades, and a large percentage of their free time either playing video games or discussing them, online and off. They wear either black clothing, or T-shirts with geeky pop-culture references, often to video games. Their social skills may be sub-par, and they may be less likely than others their age to have many friends, a jobs and a girlfriend/boyfriend.

--- ok nevermind, im not a hardcore gamer....

13. Frand

Frand Well-Known Member

A hardcore game can typically be recognized from these elements:

- Rewards the player for their skill, not for their time
    - Remains challenging at every skill level
    - Has highly responsive controls
    - Allows competitive behavior against others or self
    - "Grows with the player"
    - Requires the player to focus intensely instead of allowing him to zone out
    - Usually time is a major factor in the gameplay, applying pressure to the player
    - Requires quick reactions as well as planning

Note that responsive controls tend to require a high frame rate (60fps or bust), which is where the iPhone games generally struggle. Not all of the above elements are mandatory, but you'll find most criteria met in the archetypal examples like FPS games, fighting games, pinball etc.

A hardcore game can come from any genre. Tetris is totally hardcore when played at level 10 and above. Racing games and sports games tend to be hardcore. (Shameless plug: SPiN is a hardcore puzzle game...)

Ironically, a hardcore gamer can apply hardcore dedication to a casual game. WoW and Peggle are perhaps not hardcore games of the above definition, but the time investment and skills developed by the most dedicated players make it a gray area.

Also it's difficult to determine if an action game that isn't responsive can be called a hardcore game if it attempts to be one but fails. Perhaps a hardcore game actually requires an element of success, both in the technical implementation and in the number of players investing their time in it.

A hardcore game needs hardcore gamers after all :)

14. le'deuche123

Feb 5, 2009
    CS_one,.....it's not an FPS or RPG, and more along the lines of anomaly. THIS to ME is a hardcore iphone game. I've put over 20 hours perfecting the controls and earning acheivements. NO one is going to be awesome first game, it takes skill. Skill which is acheived only after playing and learning the game. That...to me is hardcore.

15. RobCRX

RobCRX Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    Student
    NY
    I call geodefense a hardcore game...So many pretty colors :D

16. CyberData4

CyberData4 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    I'm what' some would define as a "hardcore" gamer. Own a PS3, and 360. Stay on top of gaming news. Works in the gaming industry. Has plenty of friends that are gamers. Enjoy a nice long game..etc.

But honestly as I've grown older (28) I just don't have the amount of time I use to when I was say 12 or 20. Work, studying, GF, other RL crap I barely find a few hours to game on the weekends and barely 45 minutes during a given weeknight.

As it is now, I have a love/hate relationship with iphone gaming. I see such a HUGE potential for amazing games. And I've played many games that are simply stunning design.

I typically play on the train. Hour ride. So the casual nature of iphone gaming suits me perfectly.

What I WOULD like to see are more iphone games with higher production values. Big budget titles that only established companies can bring us. But unfortunately the frugal nature of the average iphone gamer diminishes the chances that'll ever happen. How many times does a game come out and someone says "I'd love to get it but 5 bucks is TOO MUCH!>!!1111one!!111"?

As long as a game can be played in short bursts, it doesn't matter if it's a 80 hour game. It's all about one's playstyle.

17. donner

donner Well-Known Member

my point exactly...

18. le'deuche123

Feb 5, 2009
    I say that sums it up pretty nice!

19. stnsn

stnsn Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    There's only one real hardcore game, in comparison to all this casual stuff...

Painstation

20. RobCRX

RobCRX Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    Student
    NY
    That is quite hardcore :eek: