iPad Pro 12.9

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by ashmike3, Sep 20, 2016.

1. ashmike3

ashmike3 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    #1 ashmike3, Sep 20, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
    My iPad Pro 12.9" is on the way. Upgrading from iPad Air. I think I'll start with Ember and push Brightridge to its limits. Any other recommendations?

2. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    I waa really thinking about getting one myself. However, I fear that games that use virtual control would be clunky. I don't care for mfi.

Please, give some imps later.

3. ashmike3

May 15, 2014
    Will do. I do use a wifi controller sometimes. Should have the iPad by the weekend.

4. JasonLL

JasonLL Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Male
    My mother just bought a iPad Pro 12.9 and it's absolutely amazing! She plays Disney Magic Kingdoms and it is awesome looking on the iPad Pro. All of the graphical candies that were disabled on her old iPad 2 are enabled on the Pro. Textures seem much better, lighting effects added on many attractions, and shadowing all over the place. Most importantly the game runs much better. I wanted her to download the new Oz game but she told me "That's not my Oz!" , oh well :D.

I just have my lowly iPad Air but if I had a Pro I would certainly look forward to downloading and checking out the added graphical improvements on these games:

Oz: Broken Kingdom
    Asphalt 8
    Rush Rally 2
    Stellar Horizon
    Warhammer 40k Freeblade
    and the biggest graphical beast of them all Sudoku+

5. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
  6. ashmike3

May 15, 2014
  7. ashmike3

May 15, 2014
    Appreciated. I'll check out some of these too

8. MeanTuna

MeanTuna Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Writer
    I see you mentioned Brightridge, I tried just cranking up everything on my 9.7 pro and it became a lagfest, I tweaked some more and got better performance but not so great graphics, is there a place to talk about the best settings for each device?

Congrats on the purchase!

9. ashmike3

May 15, 2014
    Thanks. Probably just the game forum thread. Forum member Nullzone would likely know as much as the dev. Dedicated fan of the game. Great dev as well. Surprised the iPad Pro didn't run well with all settings cranked. I'll have to look into that as well when I get mine

10. MeanTuna

MeanTuna Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Writer
    Yeah I was surprised as well, one thing that caught my attention was that when choosing resolution my device was listed as an ipad mini 4, dunno if that means the game does'nt see it as a Pro or just a naming error. I'll check the thread to see if anyone has tried cranking it up and what settings they used.

11. Protopop

Protopop Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 21, 2014
    Thanks guys for mentioning BrightRidge. Justa quick note here - probably the biggest effect on frame rate for brightridge is the resolution. There are other settings i mention on the main thread http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=237171&page=136 (which in short is you can put everything on HIGH, while ULTRA options risk slow down) but resolution has the most impact on iPads i find. High resolution is almost 1080p and Ultra is about 1500p so thats why the devices can struggle with it, so everything on High with a medium resolution is a simple, safe bet:)

BrightRidge also uses an older version of Unity that cant detect the latest devices so i just set the default for the ipad pros to be the same as for the Ipad mini 4. Hopefully i'll be able to update the Unity backend and accurately detect iPad pros because i think they can start in a higher set of settings than the earlier ipads do.

Totally right about Nullzone - he actually has a statue dedicated to him inside the game:) and he knows a ton about it, he has saved me by finding one of the games biggest bugs too before we went live.