Support our Sponsors:

Old 12-29-2014, 07:44 PM
ACCOUNT CLOSED: Officially Quit iOS Gaming
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonomation View Post
I was thinking about picking up the regular shield, it seems like a better buy for me. What's really different besides the designs?
Fwiw I'd recommend the tablet, even ignoring the fact that the tablet is more powerful, the original shield is very uncomfortable to use, mainly because it's very VERY heavy and even gaming for like 10 mins gave me terrible wrist pain.
(I can use a ps4/360 controller 6-7 hrs straight with no problems)

With me it was so heavy I simply didn't use it and ended up selling it. (Which is unusual for me as I hate selling stuff, I have consoles here going back to the 70's). I just knew I'd never use it and it had sticking buttons from day 1 which made some games unplayable. Seems to be a common issue.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:25 PM

The tablet is faster and has a bigger and higher resolution screen. I believe it has a couple more exclusive titles as well, due to the faster CPU/graphics. There's an LTE option if you want to go down that road (also has the bigger storage). The controller not being integrated might be a hit against it, if you're incredibly sensitive to input lag, but that's about it.

I'm wondering if they're going to release an updated Shield tablet with the 64-bit K1. If they are, that'd definitely be the one to go for.
Old 12-31-2014, 08:59 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonomation View Post
I was thinking about picking up the regular shield, it seems like a better buy for me. What's really different besides the designs?
The Shield Tablet is more powerful -- though I have found little that takes advantage of it, even emulators don't perform particularly better.

Half-Life 2 Episode 1 is a tablet exclusive... But if you have access to a Shield Tablet, you can transfer it to the Shield Portable (only encountered minor graphic glitching during the opening cutscene). Or you can root the device and make google play think its a tablet and buy it anyway.

It has a neat drawing program and stylus.

That said, I own a Portable and love it. It's probably the reason I don't post here much anymore. The form factor, the clamshell, the controls are all great. I've never had any button stick issues (not denying that others have had them, just that I've never had them in the 9 months I've had it.) I never really understood the weight/size complaints. I find it as comfortable as the original Xbox's S controller. It's not pocket sized, but neither is the tablet.

I use the device for much of the same stuff I used that same (softmodded) Xbox for: KotOR, Half-Life 2, San Andreas, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Jedi Outcast & Academy, tons of emulators, media player, classic FPS ports, in addition to newer functionality like Netflix/Hulu/WWE, Portal, GRID cloud gaming, etc.

I also use it through HDMI on my TV, with Shield Controllers (same kind the Tablet uses) and it's fantastic.

Of course, you can also do all that with the Tablet.