2013: Infected Wars (Unreal Engine 3)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by ActionMobileGames, Oct 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MKplayer1start

MKplayer1start Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Drywall & Drywall Taping
    Toronto
    Looks like a huge level. Awesome I've been waiting for a game like this. When does this game come out? First trailer said fall 2011 so obviously it got pushed back

2. wolfpowpow

wolfpowpow Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    A competitor for Desert Zombie!

3. jumpman475

jumpman475 Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Student
    Ithaca, NY
    Awesome video. The parking structure reminded me a bit of one Left4Dead level:D
    Even more excited for this game now.

4. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Cool looking level. Just make sure to have some smooth gameplay and make the character models on par with the environment and this will be a winner for certain!

^easier said than done

5. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    It's a zombie game, but I think it's gameplay will be closer to M.US.E's than DZLS. According to the dev, this has been specifically optimized for A4 devices, so it should run like a champ...Hopefully.

As far as the video...Nice!

6. General_Jah

General_Jah Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2011
    President Action Mobile Games
    Austin, TX
    Yeah we had to push the release date back unfortunately. I have not set a hard release date but we are hoping to have it polished and ready early next year. Our goal is game of the week so we want to make sure we blow away expectations for every single area i.e. environments, gameplay, co-op multiplayer, and creatures.

Rest assured as soon as we have a hard date we will let the community know.

Thanks for your support and if you don't hear from the team before the holiday have a Merry Christmas!

7. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Good to hear! I'd rather wait a couple of months instead of have an unfinished game. So, I thank you for pushing the release back.

Really looking forward to this game!

8. General_Jah

Oct 4, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, exactly. I think we can all remember loading up a new game with high hopes only to realize after playing it that it was rushed and not fun. First impressions can make or break you I say :)

9. Whiteplayer3d

Whiteplayer3d Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2010
    Czech Republic
    All Unreal Engine games on iPod Touch 4G crashing, UE is worst engine for iOS

10. General_Jah

Oct 4, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Frankly the crashes you are referring to are not the fault of the engine but of the development behind them. There is a reason we have spent nearly a year already developing 2013 : Infected Wars.

It takes a tremendous amount of time to learn how to adapt the engine for mobile and make your games run smoothly. Earlier in the year we had to completely scrap months of work on things and redo them to get the performance we wanted. This isn't a fault of the engine but of us learning the engine for mobile.

We are in uncharted territory for mobile and doing things never done before so it is quite easy to make mistakes. If your development team doesn't know what they are doing and you don't have high standards you can easily create something that runs like trash and crashes all the time. Blame the company that created the game and tried to sell it, not the engine.

11. seenooh

seenooh Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Our goal is to ensure a fun gaming experience while enjoying the amazing unprecented graphics in a good performance, no crashes, no stupid bugs, and we will deliver a fully-featured game from day 1 no matter how long it takes. No half completed game with 1000 updates later on.

We also plan to show you guys a gameplay footage from iPhone 4, so you can judge for yourselfs. :)

We appreciate your continued support,

Hamad Al-hasan
    Lead Programmer @ Action Mobile Games

12. kcur

kcur Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2010
    US
    It's good to hear you're optimizing your game for iOS. I wish more devs thought like you guys do.

13. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    I wish this was enforced with all developers. Not to diss a game, but why couldn't a studio like Chair optimize their game for A4 devices properly?!?

Again this will be very much appreciated. If all this is true, you will definitely have my unbridled support. My only concern is the RAM issue for iPods!?!

14. seenooh

seenooh Member

Oct 2, 2011
    My best guess is that they used different ways to design their content that probably didn't work very well. We stalled production and have spent months just trying to figure out the right combination of things to make the game run well without sacrificing visual quality before moving on as James wanted us to make sure that his standards are met prior to making a single step forward. Now, we are confident and happy to where we have reached, and we think that all you guys will agree with us when we release.

Our 'Plan A' is to use some specific settings (per device) that help avoiding any RAM issues. If we still find issues on a specific device, 'Plan B' kicks in which should help lay the problem to rest, but with sacrifice to quality. It'll basically be a slider in the options menu where you can downgrade the quality of the game and help free more memory. Now this is based on the assumption that you don't have a buffet of apps lining up in the background.

We will definately let you guys know about our progress on each individual device, how it's performing etc. Rest assured that we will not release the game until we make sure that it runs awesomely across all of our targeted devices.

If you have any further doubts/questions do not hesitate to ask,

Hamad Al-Hasan

15. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Just by including a slider functionality, you'll jump to the top of a lot gamer's "devs/studios to look out for or are awesome" list. This is something that I've seen mentioned a lot in this forum. You guys are definitely taking all the right steps in all the right directions. And I have to say, I'm super excited to play it once released.

Everything that you guys have mentioned or showed us so far is absolutely amazing. I'm definitely pumped for this! With all the freemium hooplah, I'm glad their are still devs going the extra mile!

16. Rikudou

Rikudou Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Is this game suport 3rd gen device?? Please say 'yes' :D

17. xKite

xKite Member

May 14, 2011
    I hope so, controls are important for games like these. I don't want this game to be too simple (tap and shoot?). I love manual aim, headshot ftw!! Btw will there be weapon upgrading systems or perks?

18. seenooh

seenooh Member

Oct 2, 2011
    The primary goal is targeting A4 devices. But we have some tricks in mind that we feel will help us support older devices. If it happens to run well, why not? We'll let you guys know as soon as we're done testing.

We as a dev team feel that tap to select will fit in nicely, but I think it all comes down to the beta testers. If most agree that manual aiming should be tried out, then why not.

As for weapon upgrading, what we have in mind currently is player levels, and when you get upgraded, all other stats increase as well, depending on your selected class. This is again going to be bound to beta testing and fine tuning stage. Any recommendations arise based on actual gameplay testing will be taken into consideration.

Hope this helps,

Hamad Al-Hasan

19. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Tap to shoot is one of my favorite ways to play TPS on iOS. Shadowgun's manual was pretty good to but like you said the action was slow paced. Tap to shoot all the way!!!

20. Madman100

Madman100 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2011
    What else uses this method? Gangster Rio has tap to lock. Epoch is the only game I can think of that has tap to shoot..