Barcode Battler inspired iPhone game "Warcode", beta testers wanted!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by andersc, Jan 30, 2011.

1. andersc

andersc Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Ladies and gentlemen! We're indie iOS developers Önders et Gonas, working on a new title inspired by the 1991 classic gaming machine "Barcode Battler" called Warcode. If you're not familiar with this amazing device check out these videos on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVuT19K0NNI
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNhK_x6a-F0

Our game works in a similar fashion, you scan barcodes with the iPhone camera (camera with auto-focus required, so 3GS or iPhone4) which turns into warriors or equipment. These can be used in the single player campaign or for challenging your friends to multiplayer matches on Game Center to see who has collected the best barcodes!

We have a beta program up on TestFlight, just sign up if you're interested in testing it out :) Here is the link:

http://testflightapp.com/join/764b56765fd816e923f2c8ffa3f9f282-MjI5Mg/

Happy warcoding!

2. Mewko

Mewko Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    I registered and they put some profile on my phone. How does this thing work?

3. andersc

andersc Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Awesome :) It registered your device's unique ID so I can include it in the next beta build, which will be in a few hours. When it's ready you'll get an e-mail and you can install the beta wirelessly onto your phone from a link in the mail!

The TestFlight system is pretty new but more developers are using it, if anybody is having issues with it their help section is at http://support.testflightapp.com/

4. Mewko

Mewko Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    You mean more developers are using it for beta testing? What if I wanna beta test other games? I want to be an official beta tester.

5. andersc

andersc Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Yes, it's a tool for developers to do beta testing programs. If you want to beta test other developers' games, and they use the TestFlight tool too, you can reuse your profile there and get their beta versions the same way. There's no way to sign up for all different developers betas at once, you will need to apply for each one through links they give out (e.g. on this forum.)

6. Mewko

Mewko Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Okay cool. I just woke up and just downloaded the game. I'm testing it now.

7. Mewko

Mewko Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    • Nice retina display support.
    • I've tested several barcodes and it's cool it identifies each barcodes and warns you for duplicates.
    • This will be fun if more players play in game center.

Bugs I found so far:
    Game crashes after every fight.

8. OShacker

OShacker New Member

Oct 26, 2010
    i just downloaded it its pretty fun but it crashes after beating a level on single player.
    I have an iPhone 4 IOS 4.1

9. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    I still own the original Barcode Battler handheld! It's great, so I can't wait to try this.

10. andersc

andersc Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Hey thanks for the feedback all :) Mewko you are also on iOS 4.1 right? The crash after fight bug seems to only happen on that version. Will look into it.

11. Neddy F

Neddy F Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2009
    Got testflight.

What happens now?

12. nikhsterboi

nikhsterboi Well-Known Member

Yeah I signed up as well and have the profile. Just waiting for the notification build so that I can get the build!

13. TooTinyMan

TooTinyMan Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2010
    Over there --->
    I just registered.

14. andersc

andersc Member

Jan 27, 2011
    #14 andersc, Feb 1, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
    Hey thanks all for the interest :D

Currently working on a new beta but it will be a couple days, I'll add some testers before the next build. From now on I will concentrate on approving people who have registered a device with auto-focus camera (iPhone 3GS or iPhone 4), as other devices can't use the barcode scanner reliably and will be blocked from installing the app by way of a Device Requirement setting... I know this excludes some of you, very sorry!

Highest priority right now is eliminating crashes and other serious bugs, then I'll submit a 1.0 for release on the App Store so everyone can check it out! Shouldn't be too far off now :)

15. ipadlips

ipadlips Well-Known Member

May 18, 2010
    iOS Developer
    New Zeland
    Applied...I have iPhone 4, and iPhone 3GS :D

16. jumpman475

jumpman475 Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Student
    Ithaca, NY
    Applied. Looks cool.
    I have an iphone 4 on 4.1.

Thank you and good luck with the game.

17. Quorlan

Quorlan Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Designer
    Georgia
    Tested it a bit, and it's a nice idea for a game. I like the underlying concepts. I haven't run into any real bugs yet but I've only tested a little bit so far. Some comments:

1. To be successful, this game is going to need seriously improved graphics. The graphics being used right now seem like "programmer art". I *highly* recommend finding a good graphic artist to take the game to a whole new level graphically

2. The gameplay is rather simplistic at this stage. Simply tapping the target you want to take a shot at and hoping to hit/do damage is a good BASE but it needs more in terms of gameplay or it will get boring and old VERY quickly.

Overall you have a great start here, but if it were me, I would hold off on submission until you can improve the graphics significantly and bump up the gameplay some. You've got a solid foundation, but successful games on the App Store need to go well above and beyond a solid foundation to find even minimal success. I'm happy to provide more feedback if you like. Feel free to PM me.

18. Epox

Epox Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    i take it the ipod touch 4 will not work?

19. nesio718

nesio718 Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2010
    getting paid....
    Sunny South FL!!
  20. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada