iPad Lost Cities - (by TheCodingMonkeys)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Aug 22, 2012.

1. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Thanks and just realize how s**ks GC really is.

LC is now the most fav MP games for now -- tops Ascensions and SW.

Wanna a game, btw?

2. saiyukialex

saiyukialex Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Shanghai, China
    I have installed the game on both my iPhone and iPad. When I played the first several moves on my iPad, I cannot continue next move on my iPhone. :(

3. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    Bring it

4. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

Click the crown. It lists all friends with Game Center. Remember the image. Then start a new game and select the user with the image.

Why remember the image? Because one screen shows real names and one screen shows nick names... The only consistent thing between both screens is the image :(

5. lookmanohands

lookmanohands Active Member

Jul 14, 2009
    I don't know if it's GC or just the way TCM implemented it, but the friend's list definitely could work better. On the main select screen it seems that a friend's % only shows up once you've played them (irrespective of whether or not they have the game and played online).

Another way is once you do select an opponent, you are taken to GC where again you see your entire friend's list. Here you can see who is ranked and who isn't, and then change your selection to someone who is if need be. You don't have to switch back and forth between lists, but again this only works for those who have already played online at least once.

6. MissDjax

MissDjax Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    ya, disabling the sound alerts in GC helps, but I'd prefer an option to only disable the sound alert in LC. On top of that the new turn sound alert is a freesound I used myself as well in a server tool I made and this is really confusing :D

7. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

8. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    One thing I see happening is that it takes some time even after Game Center connects for game updates to happen. It will connect, it will look like I have no turns, then maybe 10 seconds later all the turns roll in. Anyone else see that problem?

9. FRS

FRS Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    Yeah, in my impressions post earlier I was moaning about the lack of a full-featured multiplayer implementation like Carcassonne has. The inability to have more than one game going per friend and the delays associated with sending moves back and forth, even when you're sitting in the same room with the other player is a huge let down.

There's no local WiFi or bluetooth connectivity either, which is a real shame, and I'm just finding the Game Center turn management to be clunky, slow and ruins the experience. Which is a real shame, because I actually do like the game.. it has nice polish other than the network issues and I've had good fun but I find myself more often than not firing up a game with the AI instead of an online opponent because the network issues are so cumbersome.

10. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    Yeah, it's pretty annoying but it's because instead of using their own fast servers all the multiplayer stuff is handled by GameCenter.

So the game loads then tries to sign onto GameCenter. If successful it then checks to see if you have moves available and if so, it fetches them.

The reason it's so apparent is cause the continue button with live opponent button is the first thing you see. If it was like Carcassonne where your moves are in a sub menu (tap Internet games to see your online games), the added time to tap and load the new screen gives the game another sec or two while loading the games.

11. MissDjax

MissDjax Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    hmmm actually the game isn't that fun as it was as I played it for the first time. You can be as good as you want you may just have bad luck and then you will lose. Imo the game relies too much on luck instead of skill (which isn't much needed to be honest)

12. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I don't think the delay between moves is that bad, but I've never played with someone in the same room and there it would be annoying I'm sure. They need to add bluetooth multiplayer definitely. However I'm really enjoying this game. Yes there is a fair bit of luck, but strategy too - the better player will win more often. There's more to the game then first appears to be the case.

13. geremy

geremy Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    It's a freaking CARD GAME, of course it's a lot of it has to do with luck!

14. runliketurtles

runliketurtles Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    Lost Cities is like any other game that uses Game Center. Ascension, Summoner Wars, ect all take 5-15 seconds to log into GC every time you switch to the app before you can play online. If you stay in the app logged in (as I'd assume you'd do in a local game), turns between players go pretty quick.

But yeah, local multiplayer would be nice.

15. tecwrtr

tecwrtr Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2010
    Senior Technical Writer
    Richmond, VA
    I got a notification that it was my turn and that you had taken your turn, but it wouldn't let me go, so I rebooted. As expected, it didn't help. I made sure I was logged into GC. Gave up, quit game, and sent new invite.

Sorry for any confusion!

16. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    It's a game about probabilities, like Poker. Sure, you never know what card you will draw next, but you have to try to make choices that stack the odds in your favor, so to speak. So, starting a journey you end up losing a few points on, but that gives you the turns you need to score big elsewhere, that's a net win. There's a big random element, but the strategy is in rying to tame that.

17. wilef

wilef Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2009
    No update from the developers on Universal or iPad version?

18. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    There's a sale going on but without an iPad version I won't be picking this up. These types of games work great on iPad!

19. Juuicetin

Juuicetin Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2010
    I just bought this game from the sale, but I have a question. Are there timers for the online multiplayer? I tried looking through the thread, but didnt manage to find an answer. I just started my first online match and was curious how long I would have to wait for a turn.

Other than that though, I am really enjoying the game. I have been havin a blast playing against the AI. It has a well made UI.

20. jackbear

jackbear Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2012
    marketing officer~
    Indonesia
    the same with everybody's comments... please create the ipad version... it would be nice :D