iphone 4 screen size width and height in cm?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by appdesigner, Dec 12, 2012.

1. appdesigner

appdesigner Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Hi everyone

I'm designing an app for iphone 4 and iphone 5.

I know the screen size for the iphone 4 in resolution is 960 x 640 and diagonally it's 3.5inches. But I don't know the screen size width and height in cm.

Can someone please tell me the specifications of the screen size width and height for the iphone 4 in cm.

Thanks for your time :)

2. Reza

Reza Active Member

Nov 14, 2012
    Software Developer.
    Mountain View
    Here you go :)

Height: 4.5 inches (115.2 mm) or ( 11.52 cm)

Width: 2.31 inches (58.6 mm) or ( 5.86 cm)

Depth: 0.37 inch (9.3 mm)

Weight: 4.8 ounces (137 grams)

3. appdesigner

appdesigner Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Thanks for your reply. Just checking , are these measurements the size of the phone? or just the screen? they seem alittle big too be the screen size.

4. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany

question would be rather why do you need measurement in cm for in the first place?

for designing an app this seems pretty pointless

but with a little math you should be easily able to calculate the actual width and length if you take into account that the screen are really 3,5" and 4", that the iphone 5 is 16:9 widescreen and that the width of the iphone 4 and 5 screen are the same size and resolution..

i could tell you the numbers now.. but where is the fun in that.. but if you post numbers i will post my results :D so you can check against them.

5. appdesigner

appdesigner Member

Dec 10, 2012
    #5 appdesigner, Dec 12, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
    Thanks for your reply Mr ugly. :)

Answer: 7.5cm Height

Is that what you got?

I want the actual screen size in cms because when designing I want to know how to size graphics e.g buttons , headings etc.. relative to the user's screen size. Unless I'm missing something?? This is my first time designing for a phone app... how else do you design if you don't know in reality how your graphics will appear on the screen of your user? for this i need to know the actual screen size width and height.

When you sketch out the design on a bit of grid paper. First step draw out the iphone screen, so what are the measurements that people use to do this? must be the same as the actual phone screen.

6. R3v

R3v Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2012
    CMO @ PIXEL FEDERATION
    Huh? You should read Human Interface Guidelines and download some iOS GUI. Even there are native iOS elements, dimensions of buttons and retina vs non-retina relations are the same. For example, Apple recommends each button that could be tapped should be at least 88x88px (Retina).

http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#documentation/userexperience/conceptual/mobilehig/Introduction/Introduction.html

7. appdesigner

appdesigner Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Thanks for the link.

Yes I heard of that standard button measurement. I would still like to know how it appears on the actual phone screen. Also how about things like headings and text etcc...

8. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany

7,4 is what i have.. so yeah sounds about right..

then i only sketch rough scribbles on paper.. all real design stuff is done on the computer with direct connection to the device to see where it ends up

for screen designs i usualy used "Live View" which is a free mirroring app for osx & ios..

sadly this nice tool seems abandoned, there is no iphone 5 support yet :/

9. R3v

R3v Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2012
    CMO @ PIXEL FEDERATION
    We use Skala View - live preview of what are you doing in Photoshop on any iOS device.

10. appdesigner

appdesigner Member

Dec 10, 2012
    THANK YOU MR UGLY :)))

That's what I need, some type of app that connects computer to phone to see how the design actually looks on actual phone screen.

Unfortunately I have a PC and not a MAC. Do you know if the app 'Live View" will work on a iphone connected to a PC? Looks like I have to get a iphone 4 somehow...

11. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    Live view won't work on a PC (we've tried). I can't find any apps that do, so I suppose it's not allowed.

12. appdesigner

appdesigner Member

Dec 10, 2012
    thanks i will give it a go.. appreciate your recommendation