iPad: Spellcaster Adventure- high fantasy hybrid RPG/word game

01-18-2014, 10:51 AM
Yes, we fully plan on opening it up to beta testers, specifically from toucharcade! Not too far off now from wanting some early feedback from you guys.

Here's a couple screenshots in the meantime!

(The icons on these shots are borrowed for temp art, waiting for our first real drop of them in the future. Everything else is original)

--- Power selection takes place between rounds. You can see what the enemy will be doing coming up. You can choose between powers that activate either in the beginning, or end of the round automatically, or you can pick powers that are charged from making words, or you can pick powers that are placed on the word board. Strategize based off what you think you need to do to survive based on when the enemy will hit you.

--- Some bosses summon fire and other effects onto the board as well. Don't touch a tile that's on fire!

Working on Spellcaster Adventure- a hybrid word RPG inspired by PuzzleQuest and DungeonRaid.
Follow the project on Twitter
Check out the Facebook Page | Homepage
01-26-2014, 01:17 AM
I like what i'm reading, good luck!

01-26-2014, 08:06 AM
Wow, this looks great! Will be watching for it.
01-07-2015, 10:46 PM
Not dead.

Turns out making a game fun for everyone, where the skill difference between new players can span from- "never played a word game before" to "boggle master" is tough. Really tough. =) There's literally a 100x difference in word finding speed between myself and a friend. Took a long time to figure out how to deal with that.

We also decided to go really full into this- 100% hardcore realtime wordgame. Even made it a little roguelike to give a ton of replay with perks, character bonuses, challenge stages, religion choices, etc. Tons of SHQ art for maps, characters, backgrounds, a 17 layer 4096x1536 parallax, 120 pages of illustrated story. Went a little overboard maybe, but I love this type of game.

Not bad for a project built in freetime, even if I did spend 20 hours a week for almost 18 months now and got most all of my friends to pitch in too.

Gonna start ramping up the outreach efforts a bit now that I can finally afford to not be heads-down on it all the time.

Stay tuned.

Still WIP, but getting pretty close.

Working on Spellcaster Adventure- a hybrid word RPG inspired by PuzzleQuest and DungeonRaid.
01-07-2015, 10:55 PM
Wow feels like it's been forever!

Though rouguelike does worry me. Does that mean once you die everything will reset and you lose all your equipment \ progress?

Gamecenter ID: Raidriar // VainGlory: GodKing // Monster Hunter Freedom Unite: Mikasa
01-07-2015, 10:55 PM
Wow I don't know how I missed this when it was originally announced a year ago but this looks amazing Vanin!

Please do keep us informed. I'd be totally enthralled with another word/rpg. This looks a hell of a lot more solid and crisp than any I've seen. I'll keep my eyes peeled for this (:
01-07-2015, 11:17 PM
Thanks! I'm pretty excited about it too.

L.Lawliet- In response to being afraid that you lose everything on death- Totally valid concern, thanks for the question! And no- you don't lose everything. Character upgrades persist across playthroughs, as do the unlocking of perks and the story pages. It's specifically designed and not possible to unlock everything in a single playthrough.

A single "playthrough" will take you about 30m, you'll earn some stuff for your victory, some gold, some pages, maybe unlock access to a new world, and then you can restart with a different class/power/world/earnedbonus/perk/difficulty level. Even replaying the same "world" will come out with a semi-random layout with different minigame puzzles, challenge stages (like rotating or differently sized boards), etc. After numerous playtests, it seemed much more fun that way than being locked into a single "boggle playstyle". We wanted to encourage you to keep making new characters that would influence you to get better at a particular aspect of play without being stuck in it for too long. Since things like character upgrades are saved to that class, I'd think of it more like one playthrough being a really long level, and if you fail, you can try it again or go try an alternate stage and come back later.

You can also save yourself from death with special items and such.

Hope that makes sense!

01-07-2015, 11:29 PM
Awesome Vanin thanks for the update!
01-07-2015, 11:48 PM
Woooooow!

I remember this, and saw tha i even had a post back then. Comparing the new screenshots that's a huge improvement the game's shaping up real nicely.