Your favorite Square Enix game

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by kingant, Aug 11, 2014.

1. kingant

kingant Member

Feb 15, 2014
    I'm looking to get a good RPG as I already have wayward souls, battleheart legacy and all those good games. I'm looking more for a turn based rpg kind of similar to Super Mario RPG with console graphics...any suggestions out of the square Enix family?

2. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chrono Trigger or Final Fantasy VI...

3. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    My picks would be ff6 and The World Ends With You, although the latter is realtime.

FF Tactics is a fantastic enhanced port too.

4. kingant

kingant Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Already own chrono trigger. Now I'm debating between ff 6 and dragon quest 4

5. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Dragon Quest IV.

6. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    FF6. FFT has a deeeep battle system if you're up to it.

7. Hambo12

Hambo12 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet
    Chaos rings duhh

8. kingant

kingant Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Really...I have the GBA emu with ff tactics I was thinking maybe just to try it a little on there then if I like it I'll buy the iOS version. Also, with chaos rings, if I were to get part 2 and skip the first one would I be totally lost with the story or would it be ok to skip the first one

9. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I love the chaos rings series, but for me, it hasnt topped the FF titles at all.

10. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    The World Ends With You, hands down. Alone the Gantz-like story is worth to buy it. Love that game *_*

11. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Square Enix the game was the best ever. It combined all of their game franchises into one big "collaboration" that was CLEAR on what it was trying to be!

12. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I agree, but the OP said he was looking more of a turn-based RPG though.

13. FFFanatic

FFFanatic Member

Nov 17, 2010
    #13 FFFanatic, Aug 12, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
    If you're looking for a turn-based RPG with the same interaction you'd get with Super Mario RPG on the SNES (ie. timed button presses to boost damage etc.), one of the closest that Square Enix currently offers for the iOS would be Final Fantasy 6 (which came from the SNES as well). While you rarely have the said button presses, you do have a huge variety of playable characters, each with their own unique abilities (some require more interaction than others), and have battles played out in semi-real time (turn based with constant time progression).

If you're looking for something with less complexity in terms of story, and to an extent the gameplay, but with more interaction in battles, there's Drakerider. It uses a turn-based system somewhat similar to FF6, but on a 1 vs Many scale (you control only one character at a time). Oh, and it does have console graphics (roughly PS2 standards). It may get repetitive towards late-game, however, despite the introduction of a few more playable characters.

If you didn't have turn-based as the requirement, you can't get much better than The World Ends With You, originally on the DS. The combat system is highly interactive (and somewhat deep), and you won't find similar offerings in other iOS games. If you've already played Wayward Souls and Battleheart Legacy, TWEWY may be pretty accessible to you.

And yes, there's Final Fantasy Tactics for a strictly turn-based, isometric, tactical RPG, a port of War of the Lions on PSP, which itself is an enhancement of the original PS1 version. Keep in mind, however, that FFTA on GBA has an added layer of complexity compared to FFT, in terms of equipment and battles, AFAIK.

By the way, for the Chaos Rings series, I came close to late-game in 1 and barely progressed in Omega, but the story didn't confuse me one bit in 2, as you're working with a new setting and new characters. It's like different iterations of FF, but with each game sharing a similar theme in this case. Having said that, if possible, I'd wait for 3, as it is turning out to be quite different from rest of the series, as far as combat goes.

14. nenastya

nenastya Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Female
    Russia
    Symphonica :p