Your fav procedurally generated games (including roguelikes/rogue-lites)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Jorlen, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Wayward souls is definitely top-notch and is very encouraging to see quality developers investing time and resources in one of my favorite genre types (roguelike). Can't wait to see what they come up with next.

BTW - Cleaned up the original post to make more space due to character limit, so I should be able to add plenty more to the list.

2. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Added Siralim, Shattered Planet and super scrapped robots.

Hopefully I haven't missed any lately, been trying to keep an eye out on most releases.

3. Glorkbot

Glorkbot Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2013
    Cartoonist
    #63 Glorkbot, Jul 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
    The attack patterns in Glorkian Warrior: Trials of Glork are procedurally generated. This makes every play session different.

4. Isotope-X

Isotope-X Active Member

Jul 30, 2013
    Dream Quest is a really fun roguelike/deck-builder hybrid with lots of neat unlocks and often ridiculous difficulty. Ignore the MS Paint style graphics, this is a fun, addictive game with lots of tactical options.

5. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    It's in the list. And I agree, it's an amazing game!

6. MeanTuna

MeanTuna Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Writer
    What avout Sad Cat Soft.'s Ultraviolet Dawn? It has a procedurally generated universe and a sandbox feel I really like.

7. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    I've been away from IOS for a while so if you guys have any additions I'll edit the list and add them in.

New additions:

- Tallowmere
    - Enchanted Cave 2
    - Sproggiwood

8. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    #68 VirtualBoyFreak, Jun 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
    Heroes of Loot is mentioned twice, and GunSlugs 2 isn't mentioned. Pixel Dungeon: Rebirth made a VERY brief appearance on the App Store. Does that count? FTL and Desktop Dungeons are iPad only, but they have a lot of randomization. Out There also randomizes the universe you play each time.

9. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Hey thanks for the post and sorry I'm late to reply. I've fixed the duplicate and added GunSlugs 2 and Pixel dungeon (which is now fully released for $3 by the original dev).

FTL and desktop dungeons will be added as well. Thanks!

10. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    I am liking this "design" more on more, which I didn't before.

Which are the absolut best ones from the pack?

I love Wayward Souls (and DRTC is coming soon, hopefully).

11. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    FTL is my pick of the bunch though it's iPad only. Playable on a 6+ if you're jailbroken though.

If I were to pick some iPhone games I'd say pixel dungeon, and dream quest. Two very different games, with pixel dungeon being closer to the roguelike breed, and dream quest being a deck building roguelite which excuse the graphics gets a huge amount of praise.

Michael broughs 868 hack is great as well for quick plays.

I think dungeon of the endless is missing from the list. It's iPad only though.

Also, just a note, that the binding of Isaac is due out basically now, though looks like it's delayed a short way. Expect that soon anyway.

12. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Don't forget Neon Chrome, a dual stick shooter with many roguelike elements. One of my favorites lately.

13. Dankrio

Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    Thanks!

I've already bought FLT, but never took the time to playing it. Maybe now it is finally time.

I got now Pixel Dungeon and Dream Quest.

868 seem a bit intimidating. :(

14. Dankrio

Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    Thanks!

I've already bought FLT, but never took the time to playing it. Maybe now it is finally time.

I got now Pixel Dungeon and Dream Quest.

868 seem a bit intimidating. :(

15. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    I actually was thinking of that, but, and it's the only reason why I couldn't put it down, is that I don't actually own it. JUST YET. I still have leap of fate to get through, and right now before that I'm on my first run in Baldur's gate, so I've got much gaming ahead of me. I'm not typically a twin stick shooter guy but have been keeping an eye on neon chrome as its been getting mad praise. Will pick it up sometime in the not too distant future.

16. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    #76 Talbs, Jan 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
    You should absolutely without hesitation get going on FTL. There is a reason why FTL sits at the top of the roguelite genre in like everyone's rankings. Seriously, FTL is THE genre defining game for roguelite, just like Diablo is for loot based dungeon crawling.
    Also when just starting out in FTL just give it some time to sink in and go online and read a few beginners guides. The game goes deep. For instance, at first look, the enemies you bump in to will just look like another ship to fight and you may or may not beat it, in the eyes of a beginner anyway, but as you spend time with the game you'll learn what all the equipment symbols for the enemy ships mean and you'll sus out what their weaknesses are, and if given a choice whether you should fight them or not.

Oh, and remember to pause. That's the biggest thing. FTL is not a real time game even though battles may at the users will proceed in real time. Pause pause pause. Check over everything, and pause again. Don't you dare even unpause! EVER! Lol.

17. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Here are some newer ones that i really enjoy playing.

Downwell
    Feral Fury
    Tomb Of The Mask
    Quest Keeper

Im unsure if the levels for Treasure buster change each playthrough, but it's a huge possibility, and that is a pretty solid game too. :)

18. Dankrio

Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    Thanks for the post!

I am gonna try FLT for sure now. Won't read any guide, though, because I am scared it might hurt the discovery experience. Dying is part of the fun, right? Or is it not? Lol

19. Baron Cappuccino

Baron Cappuccino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Aug 1, 2011
    Member-Owner Steampunk Cafe, LLC
    Plainfield, CT
    Don't Starve and Shipwrecked would get my votes today.