Sword of Fargoal 2

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by fargoal, Aug 31, 2012.

1. JindoFox

JindoFox Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Not on Kickstarter. I contributed money to a project I liked from a small part-time developer. I did it to support them.

It's not at all like pre-ordering Halo 7 from GameStop, let alone going to a restaurant and making a food order. It's more like backing a restaurant before it opens. Those people aren't sitting at a table in an unfinished restaurant with a napkin in their collar waiting to eat.

It's been this long, and the old games are still in the store. I see no cause for nastiness over this. Just chill and play one of the other zillion things on your iOS thing. :cool:

2. bluewomble88

bluewomble88 Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2009
    You did it to support them do what? It certainly wasn't to attempt making a product and break numerous promises along the way. What was advertised was a sequel to Fargoal, not a beta and almost complete radio silence from McCord.

3. JindoFox

Dec 21, 2008
    I did it to support the development of this sequel to a game I like.

It seems that all you have done is complain. Hope that works out for you. Maybe you should ask for your money back.

4. bluewomble88

Nov 8, 2009
    What development would that be then?

The point I'm making is the promised, regular updates don't exist. The evidence of development doesn't exist. The empathy towards the Kickstarter supporters doesn't exist.

5. JindoFox

Dec 21, 2008
    Well cry me a river. "It's done when it's done" is enough for this Kickstarter supporter.

6. bluewomble88

Nov 8, 2009
    From the Kickstarter site...

Jared Lindenberg about 7 hours ago
    So... Whatever happened to this? I feel like this was "almost done" for at least 2 years.
    Missing avatar
    stutzj 2 days ago
    @Ben - Can you explain your understanding and what information you have that Paul is moving on to bigger and better things? If Paul is working for Jeff on this game, then a contract should be in place and there should be absolutely no "considering coming back" to the project. Sounds like their is a good deal of speculation from your post. Are you a friend? Do you have an inside loop? We have no idea what is actually going on since it's very clear that communication has gone to absolute crap. It's been 7 months since the last update and I we were promised on multiple occasions that we would get monthly updates. This project is 3 YEARS overdue.

Ben Snortum 7 days ago
    I can see how some people would find madgarden's (Paul) comments upsetting. But we funded Jeff, who had hired Paul. My understanding is that Paul became a successful developer so Jeff could no longer afford him. I'm not going to blame Paul for taking an opportunity to advance his career and earn more. In fact, I find it encouraging that he is even considering coming back to the project. And while I feel badly for Jeff, who probably needs to pay himself more than $50,000 (This project's funding) a year to survive-- The onus is on him to communicate with us as backers...

Robert Anaya Jr. on May 11
    The owner(Jeff) has had periods of time where he just vanishes.. Unreachable. It's just one of those things we won't know a reason for unless he tells us whats the deal.
    I feel the developers shouldn't get a bad rap for this, they've done work.. Something that they should be paid for. I saw a discussion in the Fargoal forum that shed a bit of light, there is a claim that payments weren't happening. I had hoped to see Jeff personally respond to that, but the entire forum has been taken down since then.
    We definitely deserve more info and respect, fudge.. I gave up $70 for this! My point is that I feel the negative talk about the developers(Madgarden in particular) is unwarranted, Jeff should be the one with the answers for us. People have to make a living.

The last official update was in November. That's SIX months ago. This after numerous broken promises that there would be monthly updates until release, which should have happened FOUR YEARS AGO.

Still, it'll be ready when it's ready :rolleyes:

7. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    #267 VirtualBoyFreak, May 19, 2016
    Last edited: May 19, 2016
    Well, a good example of a failed kickstarter. I remember something similar happened with Star Command, but on that occasion a game was made. It just wasn't what backers were expecting. Even TA published a very interesting article about this game and the risk of successes and failures of kickstarter. I'll see if I can find the article and post the link here... EDIT: it was long ago, but I think it's this one: http://toucharcade.com/2013/04/09/finished-star-command-probably-30-percent-of-the-original-vision-measures-dev/

8. bluewomble88

Nov 8, 2009
    July 18th was the last update on the Kickstarter page.

Can someone please just provide a release date or confirm the project has been scrapped? It's one or the other 5 years on...

9. JindoFox

Dec 21, 2008
    They sent out a PC/Mac beta at that time, which mostly works.

I'm like you though, I prefer this game on mobile. Here's the last substantive public update

10. bluewomble88

Nov 8, 2009
    So, to sum up, a scam I take it?

No updates AT ALL. Utterly criminal.

11. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    Not a scam - they have had an actual beta version going for a while now. Things appear to be moving unbelievably slow however. More like criminal neglect perhaps. I took this experience as a lesson and will be extremely weary before investing in a Kickstarter campaign again, but my loss is a trivial amount.

12. Tommet

Tommet Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Ain't never ever gonna happen.

The developer is full of BS. Gave up on this years back. And it hurt. Fargoal was awesome. Played a variant nearly all my gaming life. But they appear to have taken the Kickstarter money and run.

Move on people. Move on.

(BTW I hope I eat these words.)

13. Tommet

Tommet Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Lol. Maybe your great grandchildren will play?

Hah.

sebgo likes this.
  14. Tommet

Tommet Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Yup. Gave kickstarters a bad name afaic.

15. Tommet

Tommet Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Seriously, people who do this sort of thing should be sued. Or suffer other legal penalty.

Nothing more than a con job. If any of you developers read this you should be ashamed of yourselves.

16. bluewomble88

Nov 8, 2009
    The worst thing of all is the complete silence from Jeff and the devs. Where are they? Why aren't they talking? Why has this taken five years and counting?

Unforgivable.

17. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Truly a bummer, especially since SoF 1 is going to be lost due to not being 64-bit... :(

18. bluewomble88

Nov 8, 2009
    Another 10 months on and nothing.

19. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    This is so weird as I got to know the 2 guys behind it, they are both very reputable dudes. The best I can figure was a case of irreconcilable differences between what Madgarden and the original developer wanted to do with the ip.

20. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    #280 Gwarmaxx, Feb 22, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    the worst thing here is that it has a lot of backers supporting the project, all this years, with money that probably went somewhere else... all this is very unfair.