Universal Real Racing 3 by Electronic Arts

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by matthew-13, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I'm surprised there is not more criticism over the omission of real-time multiplayer (something that worked so well in the previous RR titles). TSM sounds both innovative and clever, but regardless of how realistic it might make opponents behave (though reports seem to indicate the opposite), or how much of a social competitive aspect it might add to single player, I find it hard to think that it could be a suitable replacement for live online multiplayer. I'd rather have both :)

2. Surfheart

Surfheart Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Australia
    Well, I'm angry about the principal of the IAP, but I wanted to give the game a good go.

I completed the first 3 tutorial races, then in the first race of the next section I was uncompetitive due to service/damage/lack of upgrades. I performed a tier one upgrade on my engine and tires, then chose to repair all my damage and perform a service.. 6 hours or 11 coins...

I deleted the game, it would cost me way more than I'm prepared to spend to actually play this game in a way that it deserves to be played and in a way that I would enjoy to play it. I thought I might spend $9.99 on it because I would have paid at least that had it been a premium game, but then how long would that last me? Probably not long enough for me to feel like I got value for money.

It's a shame because for an IOS game it has fantastic graphics and a good racing feel.

3. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    I don't think I have played with anyone actually online yet -- all cars enter a curve align too perfectly, except myself

4. Wowzers, are you serious? Somebody will probably buy it though.

I have read over 60 pages of both threads, and can't find the reason why it is not releasing in the US tonight. Was this just one of the soft test releases?

5. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    I think EA soft launches this to 1, gather data for TSM, test server loading, and other stuff to fine-tune. They have released an update in less than 24.

6. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    For me this is the biggest drawback. No multiplayer. It's all kinda just squished together. Not a real career mode as the AI isn't relative to you and not a real multiplayer mode.

7. GPS

GPS Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Australia
    Hey how do you get a flag or pic on screen with your car, is that a Facebook thing??

8. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Its their Game Center picture mainly.
    But for those logged into Facebook its seems to be their profile pic.
    Its one or the other anyway.
    For me its just whatever my profile pic on gamecenter is.

9. razvanrazy

razvanrazy Active Member

Mar 14, 2011
    How is it still possible that a game for iOS6, in 2013 to not have iCloud saves support ?!?!?!?! :mad:

10. Teh_Ninja

Teh_Ninja Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas
    Damn!!! 52 pages within the 1st day.

11. DigitalB33R

DigitalB33R Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2010
    This is EA we're talking about...

12. PedroCst

PedroCst Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2012
    Portugal
    No. That will come in a future update as in-app purchase.

13. GPS

GPS Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Australia
    Am I right that there are no replays?

14. synagence

synagence Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Oh well. This game has me blocked already now from progressing

Done a few upgrades on my focus. Couldn't even get past 6th place newer events
    Tried to go back to older events to grind some cash and a race I had 1st place in before now I can't even get past last guy.

Balance of this game is so off. Making single game players compete against humans who have upgraded through gaming compete against the 'virtual' humans who have paid clearly to upgrade to high end cars is simply unfair.

I don't mind iap on principal if its done as a way to enhance the game but in this its necessary and if I felt like a one off £6.99 level purchase would last me a couple months gaming I'd do it but it simply won't.

It's just a crying shame as the game is stunning. Clearly the devs have pushed the iOS device to its limits to create this and it's lovely but if I can't play or feel like I am constantly needing to spend just to keep up or make normal progress then its broken.

I fear this game will soon be consigned to the recycle bin and never get the gaming it truly deserves.

15. ThreeCubes

ThreeCubes Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    So without even mentioning the IAP there's actually a lot of other issues.

No real multiplayer
    No replays
    No cloud saves (guess ea want to make you pay twice)
    In game ads
    And that page where you can get more coins by installing other things looks so tacky.

16. airwa1k

airwa1k Active Member

Nov 11, 2012
    Can you correct your lie that the game has been released in the Canadian App Store?

17. Wediafom24

Wediafom24 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Student
    Asmara, Eritrea
    Lol! That's a good one.:D

18. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Plus
    No Leaderboards
    No Add Opponents as friends
    No Qualifying/Practice
    No Track Details
    No dynamic AI
    No difficulty settings

The hate in the Firemonkeys forum is pretty intense too. I noticed an older post from the devs saying true multiplayer wouldn't be available at launch. Considering its current state maybe ill just tune back in a few months. Bummer

19. kaibosh

kaibosh Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2012
    Was this ever in the Canadian App Store? I can assure you that for me it certainly isn't. I cringe at some of the little mini reviews of the IAP model. I despise 'that kind' of IAP.

I hope it looks 'good enough' on an iPad 3, I am still a little miffed that apple basically made us a dead end development path with zero warning. :mad:

20. Hobbesian

Hobbesian Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2012
    A quick rundown of the key areas of Real Racing 3

* Excellent graphics - check. Anyone who disputes this is likely blind.
    * Constant badgering for IAPs - check. I've already had the game pester me to upgrade my car and buy new cars between each and every race.
    * "Casual" controls with some skill roof - check. Pretty much anyone of any level -can- play, but there's room to do well within a certain bracket.
    * Forced wait timers - check. They're prevalent, and they definitely impact your enjoyment of the game, they also impact how *long* you can play before either being forced to dump cash or forced to stop.
    * Excellent presentation - Check, it's slick, polished, and gives a good impression right from the get go.
    * Resprays cost -gold- , not racebucks. Actual gold. Want to redecorate your car, prepare to pony up.
    * Gold exclusive cars, and yes, they're as mean fisted as they are in CSR racing about it, the lower level "entry" gold cars might be affordable -just-, if you save up and don't speed up your services or repairs, but the collectors ones require 800 gold, who the hell thought that was a good idea?
    * Dealer "Sales" and "exclusives" , I just had one pop up, offering me a discount on a car, interestingly even with the discount I would have had to top up my race bucks with you guessed it - Real money.
    * An energy mechanism - in CSR it was gas, here it's servicing your cars

I sincerely hope whoever reviews this is going to put it next to CSR, the result would be *worth it*.