RTS with Hero System?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Barbosa, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Barbosa

Barbosa Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2009
    N.Y., USA
    I'm looking for a great RTS game with a Hero System where the hero levels and learns spells, etc. like in Warcraft. Is there any good one out now? Also, is there a Hero system in Robocalypse and C&C that's coming up (hopefully soon)?
    I'm on the fence on buying RoLE because of the mixed reviews, but I just want to know how many hours can u get out of it?

2. jshmrsn

jshmrsn Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Mobile Game Developer
    Agoura Hills, CA
    I have no idea as to an answer to your question, but it's fun to see how far the AppStore has come. Only a few months ago, people ask if there are any RTSs, period. Now we're asking for specific features in an RTS.

That's pretty cool :D

3. Barbosa

Jun 11, 2009
    N.Y., USA
    I think the hero just makes the game more personal because everyone will make a unique hero with unique stats/abilities and it just adds more customization and I love that. Do u hav Rise of the Lost Empires? I'm on the fence about buying it, do u know how many hours it lasts?

4. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    Yeah as far as I am concerned there is nothing like that currently. Quantum Collapse has like.. 2 hero units, one of them being specific to one level, that is KIND of like what you are talking about, but not really. But thats about the closest thing at the moment. It'll be cool when someone makes sort of a Warcraft 3-esque type game.

5. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    I heard Rise of the Lost Empires is more squad based vs. building and resource management like a real RTS. I don't have it, but I have read a bit in the forum for it and it doesn't sound as good as it could be. But then again I havn't played it, so this is based solely on what I have read about it.

6. Barbosa

Jun 11, 2009
    N.Y., USA
    Thanks, I also wish there is some sort of a Warcraft 3-esque type game, mayb in the near future. Do u know if Robocalypse and C&C will have a hero system?

7. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    I havn't read anything on Robocalyspe yet, but I can almost assure you C & C won't. They don't usually (can't think of one in the series that has a Hero Unit). But they usually have like Super-Units and stuff like that, but again, nothing like the WC3 system of customizable Hero Skills and spells and the like. I think we may be waiting for some time :(

8. Barbosa

Jun 11, 2009
    N.Y., USA
    So how many hours does Rise of Lost Empires last? I think I'll like it cuz im not such a harcore RTS gamer, but I just need to know if it lasts long enough for its price to be reasonable. And I know it has no skirmish, but oh well.

9. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    It should last about 2-3 hours, but I strongly suggest you try the lite version first to see if you like it. It's definitely more for the casual gamer, but you may or may not find it offers the RTS experience you're looking for.

10. Barbosa

Jun 11, 2009
    N.Y., USA
    Hmmm, that's very short. So BigAlbie would u say it's worth it for the money? Sidenote: I'm more of a casual gamer.

11. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    #11 Big Albie, Jul 2, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
    Here was my review posted around release time.

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=284971&postcount=41

Rise of Lost Empires feels more like an RTS lite rather than a full RTS at least to me. It is a mobile port which explains the length, and I think the lite version may help you decide if this is right for you.