What kinds of games are you looking for on App Store?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by EssentialParadox, Apr 12, 2010.

?

What type of games do you want to see on the App Store?

1. I am happy with small and cheap games on iPhone but want console games on the iPad

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  2. I want BOTH the iPhone+iPad to have deeper, DS/PSP console quality games

16 vote(s)
    45.7%
  3. I am happy with BOTH iPhone+iPad having mainly quick, pick-up-and-play gaming

4 vote(s)
    11.4%
  4. I want the iPhone to get more serious console quality games, but not the iPad

8 vote(s)
    22.9%
  5. I don't care, just show me the results!

4 vote(s)
    11.4%
  1. EssentialParadox

EssentialParadox Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    What kind of games do you guys prefer to buy on the App store for your iPhone/iPod touch or iPad? Please choose the option you lean more closely to.

1) Fast, 5-minute, pick-up-and-play games like Doodle Jump and Plants vs Zombies.
    or 2) Deeper games that are closer to console quality, with more content and more story involved, even if it means they are priced higher. E.g., Ravensword, GTA, N.O.V.A.

And does your choice differ depending on if you're buying the game for an iPhone or an iPad?

2. derekvanvliet

derekvanvliet Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Programmer
    Toronto, Canada
    Definitely prefer option 1. Pick up and play whether i am on the iPhone or on the iPad.

3. Beto_Machado

Beto_Machado Well-Known Member

pick-up-and-play

4. Mondae

Mondae Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Perv, why do you care?
    Wow!!! I really want both.

5. Hale

Hale Member

Jan 28, 2010
    I like both. But I think theyre missing a lot of the basic "classic" type games.

Is it that difficult for someone to recreate zelda? Steal the entire package of ideas and mimic it change the title and make money. Top down racers(finally deliverance is coming). Soosiz is great but they stopped short of its potential. It feels like a sawed off evolution of mario...and why??? I trully hope its simply because people dont realize yet that, "iphone is now a gaming console on par with Ds and PSP in potential."

I say all that because I think the 5 min games are spot on in theyre creativity and care of quality. In fact I think theyre brilliant to be honest. But some of the deeper games feel cheap and cheated even in comparison with "original nintendo". I would pay more for the deeper games if the quality was there. But I havnt really seen it yet. And its very frustrating to see the potential of somthing so mobile and powerful go to waste because of short sightedness.

Joshua Fox

6. EssentialParadox

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    I have to say I agree… it's basically the reason I posted this poll. I've always felt the potential was there, but I've noticed a sense among App store developers that iPhone/iPad owners only want quick, pick-up and play games, so I wanted to see what the audience themselves thought about it.

7. funkynubman

funkynubman Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2009
    News Reporter/ Superhero
    Right. Behind. You.
    I like games that really make good use of the iPhone capability, have really nice art, nice graphics, are quality games developed by small companies, or have cool physics. Like:

Rolando

Gloop

GTA

Jet Car Stunts

Samurai: Way of the Warrior

Zen Bound

Spider: Secret of Bryce manor

Eliss

Enviro-Bear 2010

8. Fruho

Fruho Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Gameloft Employee
    Under Your Bed
    I have never understood the appeal of Zen Bound.....you're just wrapping things in string!!!

9. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    I want games that look good.

10. dansu

dansu Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Good question. I think there is a market for both but the number of casual gamers far outnumber the more serious gamers who want a deeper gaming experience. Of course, the serious gamers are willing to pay more money so that helps to offset the difference. I suspect that most of the visitors to TA fall into the serious gamer category so I think the results of this poll will be skewed accordingly.

11. EssentialParadox

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    I have to agree with that point. The results will be skewed in this poll compared to the larger iPhone owning audience but this definitely proves there is an audience for more serious games. It's something I wanted to confirm as I'm currently in the process of putting together a deeper, more console-like iPad/iPhone game and didn't want to release it into a market who would all prefer another line-drawing game. :p