Don't quite understand The Quest: Gold

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by RttaM, Sep 17, 2010.

1. RttaM

RttaM Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    So with the recent announcement of Undercroft going free I have a sudden urge to play some TB-RPGs. Preferably the Quest.

Although I own the Quest gold I don't exactly know how the system works.

What I mean is, there are what 3 expansion packs, tied into one game. Or something along those lines.

Does it go in order like:

- The Quest (original)
    - Expansion 1
    - Expansion 2
    - etc, etc, etc

I don't want to play a game where the missions/quests intertwine and get all confusing.

Could someone please clarify?

2. Duke Floss

Duke Floss Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Writer - Producer - Engineer
    English Roundabout
    as far as I know is the game runs kind of like the Elder Scrolls series in regards to expansion packs - you speak to a specific NPC somewhere on the island and they take you to the Expansion Pack area.

I am still on the original main quest - 6 months later, it is a very deep game and definitely worth the effort. :)

3. Noman

Noman Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    Yeah, you speak to the captain in matras and he sends to a whole separate island, so just take your time completing the mian game and then move on to isles of fire and ice.

4. RttaM

RttaM Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Ugh so confusing.

5. How so? Just go to the port of matras and ask to be taken to the expansion packs anytime.

6. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Just play the game and don't sweat it.

Talk to everybody in town before you leave, and don't take any boat rides until you've played a bit! ;)

Explore - check your map and try to fill in gaps - you'll miss a lot if you just stay on the beaten path.

7. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    I think he just wants to know what order they should be played in, especially since some of the packs are for higher level characters.

8. Then just wait until around level 20 and HOL 1 should be ok ;)

9. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    I beat the main storyline the Quest, but the gameplay itself feels like a constant, never-ending chore. No matter how much you grind, you will never be able to stop. It is a grind fest that literally never stops. Grind, make a little progress, grind some more, make a little progress, grind some more. Rinse and repeat endlessly.

Like I said, I put a good 30+ hours into this game before I reached the point where I had had enough.

If this had a leveling system similiar to Oblivion, where enemies get stronger as you get stronger, but are never by themselves unbeatable, The Quest would be a millions times better and way less tedious.

It was designed with the idea of being an hardcore, old-school RPG. I understand that. Either accept what it is at face value, or don't. At the end of the day, I guess I just didn't want to accept what it was, so I moved on.

But, If it was truly Oblivion-like, I might have purchased all of the expansions and I still might be playing it today.

10. Cursed Chess Set is more enjoyable.

11. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Just do like I did, stay camped at an inn and now it's no longer an rpg but a really cool card game.